iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Water Pockets in Walnut

Started by Charles, February 08, 2018, 11:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles

I dried a load of 10/4 walnut slabs recently and found that the MC % was all over the place in some of the slabs. I dried to 8% but found some areas of the slab were still reading 17% while 3 inches away it would read 8%. I understand that high mineral content or bacterial infections can cause these water pockets but my question is since this is a customer job
- how can I get rid of these pockets
-can the customer use the lumber anyway
- will the pockets dry up
-if the lumber is used will it deform when the pockets dry up
-can I put the lumber back in the kiln and re-dry without damage

I cant give him the lumber if it is not correct  and I am at a loss on what to do, I've never had this happen before

Any help would be appreciated
Charlie

tmbrcruiser

I my be in left field. I checked some walnut I was drying and had some reading similar to yours. The higher reading were near knots or heavy figure. Don't know if the moisture is truly higher or the irregular grain gives a false reading.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Indeed, water pockets are wall to common in thicker walnut, and are worse in tropical species of walnut and Claro.

The only cure IS PATIENCE.  Heat will help somewhat.  Use an EMC around 7% and maybe 130 F.

The wet pockets will eventually dry AND WILL SHRINK.  This delayed shrinkage often results in a crack, but can also cause localized warp.

The moisture readings are correct.  Oftentimes, such pockets are related to bacterial infections in the tree.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!