iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New mill in the planning stage

Started by hackberry jake, January 26, 2020, 09:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

My brother helped me out quite a bit when i had my mill. We both thoroughly enjoyed sawing our own lumber/beams from locally harvested trees. Recently i bought an old robot with a 25' long linear axis for $500. We are planning on using the existing linear guides, rack and pinion drive, and support steel as a start for a sawmill build. The two linear guides are only 20" or so apart, so we are either going to cut them apart and widen them or make a woodmizer style uni-rail kind of design. I'll keep everybody updated on our progress with this thread.

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

Well, that's something you don't see everyday.  This will be cool.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Ljohnsaw

From your previous post about the weight of this thing, I'm assuming not mobile milling?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Stuart Caruk

Great score, but remember that those robots are installed typically in climate controlled buildings. The lower linear rails don't like moisture and condensation and will quickly rust. Once rust sets in, those $80k rails are junk. I've installed several automated end tagging robots in sawmills, a few installations use 30' linear rails. With continual use and drip lubrication of tranny fluid, they seem to be holding up. At mills that shut down for weeks on end, they are having issues. 

I'm curious to see how this will progress.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

donbj

Mount a saw blade on the end of that robotic arm and get at'er. Run it from your lap top :D
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

thecfarm

Stuart,I run a robot like that and worked on them for about 20 years. That building was not climate controlled. And there was water jets too. We cut out interior trunk parts with them. We only had 1 robot that was on a gantry. There was a lot of moisture kicking around. We did have another gantry that 3 robots moved across it. But that did not work out and we kept the robots in one place.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!