iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quartersawing success!

Started by TomFromStLouis, July 23, 2004, 04:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomFromStLouis

Influenced by the advice from Tom and Arkansawyer and Scott (Urbanlogger) and others here, we went and sawed up a few sycamore quarters the new and improved Forestry Forum way, and I could not be happier with the results. Aside from virtually 100% true QS material, one of the logs yielded some ropey curl figuring I had not seen before. I understand it is not too rare to see this in sickymore, but it is new to me and gave the kind of thrill we all know and love.

Here is a picture:

Larry

Good going Tom.  Stick one of those logs back in a shady damp spot for 18 to 24 months and see what ya get.

:) :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

music_boy

It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

TomFromStLouis

Larry,

We have one set aside for that purpose and it is coming along very nicely.

In fact, I set aside 6 or 7 river birch logs to spalt and received a request for plain birch so I picked out three that looked like they were not really spalting. But in trimming the ends to equalize lengths I found all 3 are spalting! So the others will be awesome!

I love this logs to lumber stuff!!! 8)

greenthumb

Sorry to bring this back to the top, but I'm curious what the new and improved version of quarter sawing is?  I've searched all over but the definition is elusive.

That's some beautiful wood by the way, and that spalting, wow! :o

TexasTimbers

thumb, he probably meant new and elusive to him. There's lots of ways to quartersaw. jsut stick the term in the search function here and you will have plenty of reading. Just when you think you have seen all the ways a log can be quartered and rift sawn you'll stumble across another little nuance that will make you say "I gotta try that method too.."
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

greenthumb

Thanks, the amount of information here is overwhelming.  What have I gotten myself into? :D

LeeB

The best sawing sight on the web.  ;)
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!