iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cheap and easy log turner!

Started by Cornerstone, August 18, 2022, 09:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornerstone

I like the fact that the arm can be raised above the bed when needing to tow the mill. It still will be portable.
Case 580SK backhoe, New Holland L228 skid steer, Kubota 900rtv, Home made band mill, 1968 Chevy C50 Dump Truck, 1972 C10, 2009 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 dually, all sorts of motorcycles.
Ephesians 3: 17-21

Cornerstone

Quote from: Crusarius on August 19, 2022, 05:45:14 PM
just FYI you can buy just the hook from logrite to connect permanently to the cable. 
Yeah thanks, I checked and they need 45$ for one... plus shipping too. I've got plenty of plate scrap, I'll break out the plasma and try to cut my own to the pattern of the other Logrite hook here on hand. 
Thanks for the idea though.
Case 580SK backhoe, New Holland L228 skid steer, Kubota 900rtv, Home made band mill, 1968 Chevy C50 Dump Truck, 1972 C10, 2009 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 dually, all sorts of motorcycles.

Vautour

I think adding a winch to your carriage was a great idea, beat using the back breaking cant hook,..
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Gere Flewelling

Cornerstone- If you know of any chainsaw shops that might have old junk saws laying around, you might be able to come across an old Husqvarna chain saw that has the dual log dogs at the base of the bar.  That is what I used for the claw part of the turner.  I couldn't seem to make one that suited my needs.  I found that the large Husqvarna saws use these bigger than normal dual dogs.  I had an old junk saw at work and used the two off that saw.  I don't remember the model of saw.  It was one of their largest professional saw though.
I would suggest that before purchasing a pre-made devise from Wood Mizer, that you compare the distance between the frame rails of a WM mill and compare it to yours.  You will need the arm to be as long as possible to reach across the inside of your frame without hitting the other side to give you the proper travel to roll large logs.  That is why I made mine adjustable.  I wasn't sure if I would need to adjust it to fit different sized logs.  Turns out once I got it set to where it works best, I have never adjusted it again.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Cornerstone

More helpful info from Gere. Sure appreciate it sir. I wouldn't buy one from WM, I just happen to notice they had a very similar design, so to me, that tells me it must work well. I think just from the 3 different versions I've seen so far, I should be able to custom build it for around $125. After It's done I'll post pictures for the next guy to use.

Also, Thanks for the kind words Vatour! I think some of the others concerns are warranted but I'll leave the carriage mounted winch just in case it can be helpful in the future.

47sawdust

My LT30 has a winch activated turner as well.It gets used all the time.It has a 15' corded pendant so I have a lot of flexibility in where I'm positioned when using.

4500# warn winch hung off the WM frame
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Cornerstone

Thanks 47sawdust. 

My scheduled plans fell through today, so I took the opportunity to get started on the winch powered log turner so I went to my scrap pile to find materials. Sitting off to the side was the perfect piece. I ordered a "thumb" for my backhoe a couple of years ago that wouldn't work for my application and the shipping to return it would have been as much as the thing cost so I just kept it, hoping I would be able to make use of it in the future. Tell me this wasn't meant to be... ;D Just a few snips here and some zaps there and I've got the makings of a log turner in a hurry.  

I took the pins out, made a few measurements, and put the cut off wheels to work. Time for a little surgery.

30 minutes later and I'm a whole lot closer to being in business.

Tomorrow I'll swing by the local Harbor Freight and pick up another 79$ winch, then cross the street and grab some pulleys at Lowes and that'll about get me finished. I think I still have a bucket of trampoline springs around here too. That'll take some searching. Can't wait to try this thing out!

Thanks for the help guys.

Cornerstone

Made a little more progress today before it started to rain... (we've been in a serious drought for a long while) I'm just guessing the dimensions based on the pictures of the 2 variations of log turners previously posted, so if something doesn't look right please tell me and I'll correct it. 

I know the thing is overbuilt, but again, I'm repurposing something that was otherwise going to waste. I got the tabs welded to the frame and cut out the claw portion that I thought would be effective.

It appears that this design will give the claw about 20 inches of travel above the bed.

I still need to fabricate a plate to mount the winch and battery, get an appropriate spring attached and install the 3 pulleys.                                                                                                                               

Satamax

I think you might have to grind the teeth, so they are spiking upwards. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Gere Flewelling

cornerstone- Another addition to consider is a short cable (can be small dia.) to connect between the lower arm and the upper arm that will limit how far the upper arm can travel past the 90 degree angle while rising.  It needs to extend past 90 some, but I have found that when turning a large diameter round log there is a point where the claw will reach an angle where the claw will suddenly pull out of the log and loose control of the turn. :o  It is when the lower arm is approaching the horizontal position.  This is because the upper arm has gotten to like a 130 or greater angle.  If you can use a cable to prevent that angle from going to far, it might prevent the surprise of the claw coming out of the log unexpectedly. ;)  This cable will work together with the spring to keep the upper arm where you want it to be.  What you have built looks good though!
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Cornerstone

Gentlemen, thank you both for the helpful pointers!

Gere, the upper arm currently is limited in extension travel to what is in the picture. The 2 arms bind at that point and the upper arm cannot extend any farther unless I remove the material in the way. I may add the spring and give it a try before I add a limiting cable stop.

Satamax, The claw is on a pivot that allows it to rotate approximately 30 degrees. I thought it might be a good idea to add a spring on the top backside of the claw to raise the angle of the teeth. After I get the thing operational I'm sure it'll be clearer as to what needs to happen.

galstaf

How did it end up working? Could you posts pics and or video please?

Okrafarmer

So another possible solution is to mount your winch on something OFF the side of the sawmill, and then use a short (24") cant hook, for instance, and attach the end of the cant hook to the winch by means of a strap. Use a remote control winch, so you can hold the cant hook steady while you winch it.

This at least, would keep you from stressing your sawmill carriage.

A. I'm not saying the cant hook manufacturer endorses such a maneuver
B. Wear safety gear
C. Be safe.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!