iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

5 Winch 648G

Started by Bobus2003, May 19, 2010, 10:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobus2003

Here are pics of 1 of the 2 648G Grapple Skidders converted to 5 Cable winches used by the Company my brother works for. Used for Power Line work.

What they Call a "Boom Skidder" 648G with a 60' National Crane

Baby of their Skidder fleet, 640D Cable Skidder

Mark K

Maybe a stupid question but what do they use 5 winches on one machine for? Kinda neat looking though.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

fishpharmer

Maybe they get stuck a lot :D

Bobus thanks for sharing those photos.  Some very interesting machines.  I would love to read an explanation.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Don K

Probably to pull multiple ropes through pulleys on highlines in places a truck can't get to.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Bobus2003

Quote from: Don K on May 20, 2010, 09:50:18 PM
Probably to pull multiple ropes through pulleys on highlines in places a truck can't get to.

Don

Thats Exactly What there used for.. They are now in the process of building a 648E into and Off-Road bucket truck, for the places their 6x6 trucks cant get too.. They had a ROW last year that needed trees to be cleared and they tried to use the 648G on it, but they ended up Breaking Cables and the winch motors/brakes wouldn't hold the line when pulling, So they bought the 640D, which is a pretty darn nice unit..

Neat too see some of the uses for older Logging Equipment in other industries

Quote from: fishpharmer on May 20, 2010, 07:23:18 PM
Maybe they get stuck a lot :D

Bobus thanks for sharing those photos.  Some very interesting machines.  I would love to read an explanation.

Worked with them for a few months last year doin dozer work, It was horrible, the trucks were chained up and having to be pulled through the mud from almost the instant they left the pavement or gravel roads.. Felt sorry for the semi's and Utility trucks..

PAFaller

What outfit is that, I want to make sure I never get tempted to buy any of their used trucks ;)
It ain't easy...

Thank You Sponsors!