iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tractor hydraulics help

Started by woodmills1, December 15, 2004, 01:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

Loaded the last of the firewood onto the trailer in the woods around 2:00.  Drove back to the house and the claw on the loader wouldn't close when I got there.  I rested the claw on the ground and it will fall closed very slowly with the lever in closed position.  It opens just fine.  So the cylinder  will operate normally from extended to closed, but will not then operate to extend.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

DanG

I take it it's just the claw cylinder and the others are fine? ???  If so, can ya swap the hoses to isolate whether the prob is in the tractor or the trailer?  If the controls are on the trailer with only one set of lines to the tractor, and something works ok, the the problem is definitely with the trailer.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Faron

It is possible for the hyd couplers to wear and do that.  We had one go bad on a 2020 JD hooked to a cornplanter once.  Bout drove us nuts trying to figure out just what was wrong.  In this case it was one of the female couplers on the tractor at fault. Coupling another cylinder to the tractor and seeing if it works might help you figure where the problem is.  I suppose your valve could go bad and do that too.  
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

RMay

I would look at the valve lever and see if the pin has come out ;)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

isawlogs

If you have quick couplers on there , thats where I would start .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

woodmills1

It is definately the trailer as all of the other functions work except the grapple closing.  I was thinking about the quick couplers just before signing on this morning so will check them soon.  They got added when I bought the backhoe that replaces the grapple arm.  I was also thinking that it is a continous rotation graple so I hope it isn't a problem in the rotator!
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodmills1

YHEE HAA!

I just put on my sbeach sandles and wandered out into the cold and climbed the pile of firewood in the trailer and low and behold the outside quick connect was separated.  A little piece of tell tale bark was hanging off of it also.  Must have brushed a branch on the way home.  Thanks for the tip!

for me this is an early christmas present yhee ha

isawlogs

I'm glad you found what was making all the trouble ,  See I knew that we knew something not much but what we do know we like to share  ;) ;) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

bitternut

Had the same thing happen on my JD 5210 with loader. Called the dealer about the loader not working and he told me to check the line quick connects. I said " OH NO, IT CAN'T BE THAT". Hung up the phone and just for the heck of it I looked at the connections. Sure enough, one was disconnected just like he said. Called him back and told him he was right. Felt kind of stupid but also relieved that I was not looking at a repair.

FeltzE

I was out picking up logs about 4 miles from home, left the dog in the cab of the truck, loaded up jumped in and couldn't get the truck past 10 miles an hour in high gear?...

Checked no leaks, no unhooked connectors, the 8LL transmission was in high range, air shift on the axles seemed to work, .... drove home slow, called the dealer who didn't have a clue what could be wrong, contemplated calling a big rig tow truck to tow my truck over to the dealer,  but sat on it for a cpl days,

Then an apifiny...(I'm sure that's spelled wrong) 8LL transmission, that is 8 gears low range lower range, went out to the truck fliped the Low Range selector on the floor (that I never use) and the truck is fixed,

The culprit, the dog did it! ;) he must have tripped the floor mounted LL switch, I called the dealer back and explained, they laughed,  ;D ... so did I

Tom

Ha!   good story.  You could have joined "the funny story thread" with that one.  :D

woodmills1

I did feel a bit silly for not checking the quick connects right away but it sure is better than buying parts.

Thank You Sponsors!