iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl 025 chainsaw has no spark?

Started by firefighterfox, February 09, 2012, 10:16:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighterfox

Hello forum. I have a Stihl 025 that I was given. I have completely rebuilt the saw. I don't have a visible spark jump at the spark plug? (unless I close the plug gap) I have also installed a couple of new plugs. The mag has been adjusted properly and I swaped it out with another old spare.(same result) I do have an in-line spark tester/neon bulb that flashes and I can feel a voltage pulse if I hold the wire while cranking the saw.
Bottom line; I appear to have a lower than normal spark voltage from the mag?
Question: Do I have to have a visible spark jump at the plug, with the correct gap for the saw to run?
thanks for any input,
Greg Fox

T Welsh

firefighterfox, Yes,you need spark at the electrode to ignite the fuel/air mixture in the cylinder. try isolating the coil from the on/off switch and let it fire on its own,if no spark. the only fix is a new coil,they dont go bad often,but they do fail. hopes this helps. Tim

firefighterfox

OK, "cancel the search", after putting it all together with no visible spark? One pull on the rope and it fired, second pull and it runs. Oh well, your guess is as good as mine?
thanks again for the help.
Greg Fox

p.s. I have experienced this before with some other 2 cycle projects.

JohnG28

When you look for a spark do you hold the base of the spark plug to the top of the cylinder? The spark plug in the electrode alone will not produce a spark.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

firefighterfox

I keep the spark plug in the boot and either ground the threaded part next to the head or use a ground wire from the head to the plug base. (being careful not to short out the electrode)
thanks,
Greg Fox

JohnG28

OK, I was just throwing it out there. Sometimes the little things make the biggest problems. Strange how it has no spark but runs great, bur at least it's running.  8)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Thank You Sponsors!