iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Troubleshooting TACO 009-F5 pumps

Started by bsdimp, December 04, 2018, 04:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsdimp

I have a TACO 009-F5 pump that is used to pump water up to the solar panels on my roof. There are two acting in series to get it up to the roof. One of the two pumps is causing a problem: it's popping the fuse on my control unit. With it disconnected, the system works, but with much reduced water flow as you might imagine (looking at the graphs suggests 1/3 to 1/4 the normal rate given the 30-35' head that it's pumping up).

So, since I'd like to restore the full capacity of the system, I was wondering if there was documentation online for troubleshooting these pumps. A new one is $200-$300 online, depending on where I look, and so I'd like to make really sure I need a new pump and not just a new capacitor or something simple like that. so far my web searches just turn up guides to installing the pump and/or replacing the moving parts when they become worn. Several youtube videos on what to do when the pump seizes up, but nothing like a decision tree to figure out what part of it is shorting out, etc.

The pump has been in service, I think, for 10 years, so it's entirely possible something weird is going on with it that requires replacement.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Warner

mike_belben

I cant tell you for certain on those troubleshooting questions, but a replacement cartridge insert is around $100 and would probably be a good idea to have on hand anyway.  Pop and swap was how we fixed avionics gear in the marines, install known good test parts until it works then order the bad part. 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!