iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Distilled water for OWB.

Started by MJD, July 04, 2012, 07:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJD

I wonder if distilled water from a dehumidifier would be good to fill a furnace, I drained the owb this past spring and thought of filling it with distilled water. Pain in the butt I no, but our water is heavy in lime and iron and have a hard time getting the water conditioned right. Whats your thoughts ? Thanks Mike

Gary_C

Wouldn't hurt anything, but how big is your OWB and how much dehumidifier water do you have? Most of these OWB's hold hundreds of gallons. Might take a while to accumulate that much.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

MHineman

Quote from: Gary_C on July 04, 2012, 09:38:15 AM
Wouldn't hurt anything, but how big is your OWB and how much dehumidifier water do you have? Most of these OWB's hold hundreds of gallons. Might take a while to accumulate that much.
Not this year.  Even if you don't have the humid weather we have, if you dry any lumber with dehumidifiers you will get a lot of water in a short period of time.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

AsaG

If you use condensate, the water will be nearly saturated with free oxygen.  You'll want to get it heated up to normal operating temperature, in short order, to minimize corrosion of your water jacket.  Depending on how much condensate you get in a day's time, it may be simpler to use your normal water supply and softener cartridge.  Central Boiler offers one (part # 1310) just for this purpose.  Plumbing supply houses should offer something similar to help prevent scaling in ice-machines and other such purposes. 

Thank You Sponsors!