iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It's a cane, but guess what it is.

Started by SwampDonkey, February 09, 2024, 11:36:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Had them DanG things at the hardware store I use to work at. They would get about 4 feet tall, and I would hit them with some vegetation killer. Never killed them, just set them back. They need more than one treatment to slow them DanG things down.
So called boss did not care. He lived on a 250 foot lot and rented that. I did not need to bring the seed back to The C Farm.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I keep it at bay here, but on the perimeter of my property it pops up. I spray it within reach of my property line. :D

The top soil they hauled in here because of all the over burden from foundation digging was screened, but not screened for burdock seed. I was a couple years knocking that out. :D

I think the neighbor gets the stalks from his brother's farm a few miles from here. I've never seen one strong enough to be a cane. I'm guessing he might fill them with something because they are hollow around here. I know some places they can grow several feet tall, only about 5 or 6 feet here.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

They hauled in some soil to cover the septic field about 24 years ago at my house. Wife found a piece of bamboo growing on the field. I pulled it out very carefully.
Wife had bamboo at her house.
I was some lucky that was the only piece we ever found.
Her grandparents thought that stuff was great.
I don't need that stuff at my house either. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Yeah, bamboo is about impossible to get rid of. I see it here on abandoned or burned down house sites. I don't want it around here either. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Hilltop366

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 10, 2024, 02:46:12 AM
Quote from: Hilltop366 on February 09, 2024, 09:51:54 PMBurdock

You got it!!  smiley_smug01

That's what it looked like but I've never seen it get big enough to make a cane and like you I could not imagine it would be strong enough so I didn't say anything..... until I seen the clue.

Hilltop366

When you say bamboo do you mean Japanese knotweed? 

SwampDonkey

Yes. I had to look it up. :thumbsup:  Always called bamboo up here.

KEC

I think the Japanese Knotweed, aka bamboo can be controlled with roundup or something similar applied to young leaves. The trick is to treat it, then go back and check it when the leaves wilt and retreat any leaves that are not wilted and keep at it. 

SwampDonkey

Yep, I'm sure. Same with burdock. Gotta keep on top of it. 

thecfarm

We got rid of burdock on the farm. Maybe 50 plants.
Bamboo would be like 1000 plants. I suppose you could kill it, but would have to keep the area barren for 3-4 years straight.

WLzM1A

Quote from: doc henderson on February 09, 2024, 04:13:13 PMsugar cane, may be a play on words.
is that the natural color or is it stained.?
I agree.  I had some sugar cane that was a deep purple in color and it gets pretty hard once completely dry. 
Echo CS-310
Stihl 034 AV
Stihl MS250
Stihl 025
Echo CS-8000
Stihl 011 AVT
Stihl 066 Magnum
Dolmar PS-401
McCulloch MAC 160S
McCulloch Power Mac 6
Homelite Super EZ  X2
Homelite 330