iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need to replace winch on sawmill

Started by efiles123, March 18, 2024, 12:33:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

efiles123

I'm currently using a Norwood hd36 sawmill on some large redwood logs. I noticed the junky winch on there right now has a stripped handle and will not crank while under load. The original winch that came from factory is long gone and this single speed winch does not seem rated to move logs weighing a few thousand pounds. I'd like to get something that has 2 gears with a high enough weight rating and reasonably priced. There's plenty on eBay that are rated 3,500 lbs for $50 but I'm skeptical about quality and how long they last. Anyone know of any that would suit me well?

jb616

I believe the one from Woodmizer is a Dutton-Lainson but they are not cheap. I put a TSC winch on my log arch trailer and destroyed it in hours. I replaced it and once again wrecked it. So i called up Woodmizer and bought one there identical to the one on my LT-30 and it works flawlessly. You will probably spend around $300 without cable. I use the Winch rope that i found online and like using that rather than steel. 

efiles123

Quote from: jb616 on March 18, 2024, 11:26:38 AMI believe the one from Woodmizer is a Dutton-Lainson but they are not cheap. I put a TSC winch on my log arch trailer and destroyed it in hours. I replaced it and once again wrecked it. So i called up Woodmizer and bought one there identical to the one on my LT-30 and it works flawlessly. You will probably spend around $300 without cable. I use the Winch rope that i found online and like using that rather than steel.
How big were the logs that wrecked the TSC winch?

jb616

20ish diameter and 9-12 foot....nothing ridiculous. 

Thank You Sponsors!