Rain and Mud

Started by Rhodemont, December 20, 2023, 04:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhodemont

That is all I have got to say!
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Peter Drouin

I should have back-drag it. Now it's all frozen ::)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

chevytaHOE5674

It'll be thawed out in a few days.. haha

mudfarmer

Well you certainly have a way with words!

B.C.C. Lapp

Rain, wet snow, mud.   Been like this over a month now.  No end in sight.   
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Old Greenhorn

We've had so much rain since spring that our ground never firmed up and dried out this summer. First time in nearly 40 years I recall that. It's still soggy. Every time it starts to firm up, we get a week of rain. Had a mudslide over in the next town 2 days ago that took out power for 24 hours and closed off a major feeder road to several communities. That doesn't happen here. I think we should all get rebates on our taxes until they figure this out and fix it.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

BargeMonkey

I feel horrible for these people up VT, NH,
ME 🤦‍♂️ I mean some places got SMOKED. I'm 1 town over from Prattsville NY, seen what water can do, we where 10 days without power, literally put the road back together in town with our iron, material and trucks after Irene because it was such a mess.

logger friend of mine in Southern VT before it got bad, right in town

Firewoodjoe

☝️ bad deal. Seems like the north east region gets it pretty rough anymore.

stavebuyer

Bypassing here and ending up in the NE. 2nd Year of drought here. Still hauling water to my cows in a pasture watered by a pond and 2 blue line streams in normal years.

twar

Seems to be a common theme lately; praying for rain, then praying that it will stop raining.

sawguy21

We are really hoping for moisture, it has been a dry year. Still, I don't miss muddy roads and log landings.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ehp

It;s plenty wet here and I'm on pure sand , I would hate to be on clay , Log truck got out this morning on abit of frost but by 10 am the water started coming up again in the field , Its to rain on 3 of the next 5 days and be 50F on christmas day

Rhodemont

I should have included WIND.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

BAN

Warmest December in 44 years here. Not many logs moving.

ehp

rained all day here and to rain 3 more of the next 5

ehp

All I can say is Man is it wet out , Been still raining for days and more to come . I hope the water can run away before it snows cause the ground would never freeze the way it is now

sawguy21

No better here. Winter has yet to show up.

Peter Drouin

I got 6" 0f mudd in my millyard. ::) ::)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

nativewolf

If we had just a bit more rain it could wash this mud away.  The worst drought in 40 years is broken here, streams flowing again.  Ground just squelching so we've got enough moisture.  Our harvest site is an upland site with a gravel loam soil, not bad actually, drains out nicely.  The small state rd into the site though has lost the shoulders, if a log trailer just swings a bit wide in a turn (and they have to - it's narrow and twisting) they can lose the trailer.  Had to do a bit of road work the other day where a trailer almost flipped, brought in ballast rock and scooped out 18" of crush and run that was all run and no crush, it was so soft you could stick your hand right into it.  Packed in the larger rock.  Hopefully the shoulder holds now, will test it. 
Liking Walnut

mudfarmer

Waiting on hydraulic cylinder parts that will not be here until the end of next week. So it's going to try to freeze up this weekend  :D  :new_year: Going off that and knowing my luck we will get a mid January thaw again

ehp

Well I hope to turns cold here soon , log truck yesterday got what was left for logs out of east field but was stuck before ever getting to log pile in west field , just greasy so I hope soon he can start drawing these logs , but just about everyday its a wet kind of like fog out so ground is not drying up at all

Greenie

the wood yard is frozen ruts. I stumble and lurch around like I'm drunk when I walk on it. At least at this point there's no ice and just a dusting of snow. Wet areas are still too soft to cross but on dry ground it's very easy going. Central Maine....

sawguy21

It was raining lightly at 8 this morning, we have no snow in the valley. In fact the fields are green which won't go well if we get a sudden freeze. I like the early spring like weather but if no snow we will pay the price.

mudfarmer

I got a combined half mile of muddy driveways back dragged and flattened out, kept everyone off and got it froze up now  :snowball:

Almost 2" of snow thanks to last night with single digits tonight so we are looking good. Still don't have that hydraulic cylinder... Also it looks like you can walk on the ponds but DO NOT WALK ON THE PONDS  :o :D

711ac

Frozen ruts in the mud here.
Last I checked Christmas week, we were just under 6' of rain in calendar '23 @ 70".
In the woods the mud's not far under the frozen crust.
I've got no "gut" feeling for what's coming this winter. (When it finally gets here) :D

Thank You Sponsors!