iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Axes

Started by Jeff, September 17, 2004, 02:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I like to buy old rusted up axes for a buck or 3 and see what I can wire wheel out. Here is a couple of that last ones that I think may be keepers.

On the back of the Knot Klipper it says Lewiston PA.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

Dat handle on dat old Knot Klipper looks like da dude swingin' it must have missed a couple of times.   ;D
I never really payed that much attention to them old axes. I just might have to start.   :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

THe Keen Kutter ax has the biggest end I have ever seen on a handle. Its like a big ole bulb.

Jeff

I seen an old Knot Klipper felling ax go on ebay yesterday for way over 100.  I wonder if there is a guide out there to tell what these things are worth as you find them or what to look for? I aint got a clue.

Bruce_A

Jeff;  you have it right.  There is a book for any tool out there and anything that says Keen Kutter or Winchester draws top dollar.

DanG

They're worth whatever somebody will pay you. ;D  I just can't seem to let go of any of them, though.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

Me neither Dan  :D   I just want to know what MY stuff might be worth.

sprucebunny

Not to be real morbid but... hope your kids know they are worth something.
I got a bunch of old tools. I really like the things with filigree : the fancy flowers and swirls they used to emboss on metal tools and bottle cappers and sewing machines...
Have a couple of old axes but too old for lettering.
Those are in great shape ,Jeff.Makes ya want to know where they been and what they done and the stories .
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

ccicora

Do you have a better picture of the single bit axe? Need onr of the head and one of the entire axe. Then I will see what I can find out for you.

Later,
Chris
I race a bit, just enough to keep me in debt

Jeff

Does anyone have access to a price guide for old axes? I think I got a good one this weekend. Apparently this old Kelly broadhead axe has been hiding in an old ranger station shed.  It still has much of its original paint and it so sharp it cuts through any bag I put the head in yesterday.

Not sure what the letters stand for on the opposite side of the ccc and usfs. (last picture)

Blake22

I found the place just the other day. Go to Antique Tools: Antique Value Guides. They have about 500 books on different antiques, rods & reels, tools. I believe you can find what your lookin for. I haven't had time to look them over because there is so many that I want. If you get one let me know how you like it,if you like it.

I've got 4 or 5 old ax heads hangin on the wall in my shop, just hadn't had time to clean em up. Too busy pickin up limbs from these hurricanes.
Blake

Stephen_Wiley

Jeff,

Surprised you don't know about the CCC=Civilian Conservation Corps. This organization was formed during the depression to put many unemployed guys to work.  There was also the WPA.

My grandfather had nicknames for the two groups, I only remember the one for the WPA = We Putter Around.

The E.C.W. on the ax is:

".....The Emergency Conservation Work Act made no mention of either education or training. They were not officially introduced until 1937 by the Act that formally created a Civilian Conservation Corps. ...."

Quoted from the site below:

www.cccalumni.org/history1.html

Nice find, and ifn ya find another send it my way 8)
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Bibbyman

Dad was in the CCC's way back when... They cut and cleared fire road, etc., out in Idaho.  

Maybe the ECWS was the camp or Company letters?  Looks like the "S" is a little set out from the ECW.

I can show him the pictures.  He may be able to recognize the markings as something like they had on their tools.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

I knew what the ccc was  :) I have several things im collection havingto do with CCC.

Stephen_Wiley

Ah....excuse me Jeff it was late last night when I read your post. Missed that you were only looking for the definition of ECWS.

Sure does date your ax though....ought to make it more valuable with documented history.
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

ADfields

Looks like an adz not an ax but it's hard to tell in the flat photos.   Is the bit kicked to one side of the handle and sharpened with only one bevel like a wood chisel?
Andy

Jeff

Its got a straight handle but sharpened as you said. My definition is a broad axe.
 My definition of an adz has a curved blade, sometimes looking more like a pick then an axe. I have a foot adz used for flattening the tops of beams or ties.  I also have a small bowl adz for hollowing out bowls.

Furby

Sounds like one they used to use to remove the bark.

Jeff

The handle is straight but the ax head is of set to the side of the handle so I am sure it is used for hewing.

Tom

I agree with "Broad Axe" for Hewing. :)

While most that I've seen have a much larger head,  I have one that I found under an old building that looks something like yours.  This url has one like it too and calls it a Swedish Broad Axe.
http://www.wisementrading.com/woodworking/gransfors.htm

I have one like this one somewhere.  It has the larger head.
http://www.gransfors.com/htm_eng/timring/timring01.htm

Here's one from the Jamestown redescovery.
http://www.apva.org/ngex/c5baxe.html

I have one like this somewhere too
http://www.frontieramericatrading.com/C_broad_axe.htm

bighoss550

i have been searching for a "real" broadaxe for quite a while. ifn ya'll run across one please let me know. i am lookin for the big style that has the 32-36" curved handle with a 12" face and 10-14lb weight. they just dont exist anymore.

Jeff

Sure they do. If you are wanting one to use try Ebay for a head, and you can buy handles and many flea markets. If you want an old one with an original handle I saw at LEAST a half dozen at a place called Jeffrey's antiques (no kidding) on I-75 just into Ohio coming from michigan. Chet let me "run" through the place on the way to Paul Bunyan. :D

Timber_Framer

I found mine on E-bay a nice big 11.5" head with an old still in great condition handle. I got it for $40.00 but shipping was another $25.00 or so, but living up here most times it's cheaper to pay the freight instead of the gas.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

bighoss550

QuoteSure they do. If you are wanting one to use try Ebay for a head, and you can buy handles and many flea markets. If you want an old one with an original handle I saw at LEAST a half dozen at a place called Jeffrey's antiques (no kidding) on I-75 just into Ohio coming from michigan. Chet let me "run" through the place on the way to Paul Bunyan. :D

i have seen a few on ebay, but they are the lighter ones with the 6-8 lb head...... or at least the 2 i saw were???

ill remember that place, i went to college in lima oh so when im back there ill drive up and check it out...

Jeff

Be creative with your searches. The good stuff and good deals are usually mislisted because people dont know what they got.

Thank You Sponsors!