iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finding saw logs... any pointers?

Started by Cornerstone, May 09, 2022, 12:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kantuckid

Good luck on tree logs around Azel, TX!  :D
 I googled your location to learn it was sort of between Ft Worth and Mineral Wells, TX where I was in rotor wing flight school in 1969. We flew all over that area of course and I've got to say most of the trees looked like pygmies to my memory, excepting on a stream. 
 I went out one weekend and dummy me picked up a sack of wild pecan nuts not knowing the little holes meant worm, no nut meat. ;D Those Pecan trees were little, barely shade for cattle. 
Those oaks look worth the effort though. Can you sell craft wood in the city?
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Cornerstone

:D Thanks for feeling my pain! Yeah, these oaks are a real treat since like you say... they're all pygmies around these parts! If I ever need pine I will have to go 3 hours east. I'm sure I could sell craft wood in town.  Would anyone care to tell me what defines craft wood? I guess any wood or boards that are not for construction use? 
Case 580SK backhoe, New Holland L228 skid steer, Kubota 900rtv, Home made band mill, 1968 Chevy C50 Dump Truck, 1972 C10, 2009 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 dually, all sorts of motorcycles.
Ephesians 3: 17-21

rusticretreater

I would define craft wood as any wood pieces that are high quality, fine grained, knot free and in most cases not full length(8ft etc.).  Stuff you make cabinets, boxes, chairs from.  This can also include chunks of wood for turning on a lathe and nowadays, the nice slab wood too.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

230Dforme

Good afternoon 
I am in an upstate NY affluent community with many tree companies. I am a one man tree service.
The amount of logs, wood that has to be gotten rid of everyday is tremendous. Most companies just want to find a place to put it. If you have a place to
unload it when they want to, and make some good contacts, I think you'll get all good results.

Cornerstone

I thought I'd give an update on this thread. Over the heat of the summer we took down 67 Post oak trees, with a 60/40 split. I get 60% he gets 40%. In the deal I would saw 21 beams and posts for his timber frame build. We put my newly built mill to work and fulfilled his cut list with 4 days of sawing at his place. That finished up our original agreement. It was then that he asked me to continue sawing since he had changed up his plans and now needed more beams and posts. We agreed on an hourly rate of $75. and he pays my diesel fuel to commute back and forth. I know that is a low hourly rate, but we now have become friends so it was my pleasure to help him out. 

Here we have a load of logs going to his house less than a mile away from the ranch we harvested them from. How do you like my new to me Dodge Ram 3500 4x4? It's the first diesel truck I've ever owned and it'll be hard to go back to gasoline! 

This ls one of the loads I carried home.

This is where we set up the mill at his place.

These are the beams and posts from his initial cut list. We did have some wavy cuts getting things figured out. I found that the lower 4 degree angle blades cut hardwood better than the first batch of blades I bought. No waves at all with the correct blade being used. 

All of his off cuts we made 2" thick.

So far I have cut a total of 4510 board feet on this job (these pics were taken about 2/3 the way through). It's been a great learning experience in all and I can't wait til' I get to start sawing on my own logs. My first project will be a saw shed for my mill. Thanks to all who have answered questions and helped transform this noob into the beginnings of a somewhat experienced sawyer. 
Case 580SK backhoe, New Holland L228 skid steer, Kubota 900rtv, Home made band mill, 1968 Chevy C50 Dump Truck, 1972 C10, 2009 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 dually, all sorts of motorcycles.
Ephesians 3: 17-21

Ljohnsaw

Great to see a follow up.  I think $75 is a pretty good rate given that you are a new sawyer with not much experience.  Good deal on the fuel, too.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

kantuckid

FWIW and for comparisons sake-> in my area that's not a low rate. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!