iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A new project...perhaps.

Started by DanG, September 25, 2006, 12:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Well, I may have gone and put my foot in my mouth, but I found this little project irresistable, for some reason.  The building is the original railroad depot in the little town of Greensboro, Fla.  The little depot sat directly under the new power transmission line that has been installed through the area, and was slated for destruction, via bulldozer.  The local historical society sprang into action and managed to prevent the demolition.  They aquired a small tract of land just across the tracks, and persuaded the power company to have the building moved, and that part has now been done.  What remains to be done is the restoration of the building, to be used as a small museum, or to be rented out as a gift shop or restaurant.  I have volunteered to donate some rough sawn pine lumber to help make the restoration historically accurate.  Right away, they asked me to head up the project, but I declined, because I am in no way qualified to do so.  I will enjoy working with whoever does take the job, though. ;D

Here's the South end of the building, which used to be the North end when it was on the other side of the track.

This is what is now the West side, or track-side face of the depot.  Notice that the shed is propped up with box-store 2x4's.  That's gonna have to change.  I don't know what this side used to look like, but they have photos of it when it was still used as a depot.

This is a shot of some of the floor joists that need a little help.  Again, these are on the west side.  The east end of these same joists seem to have faired much better.

This is some of what appears to be the original siding on the building.  Only about 20% of it remains.  I imagine it will be replaced with something that would be typical of the period, rather than trying for a match.

So, there ya have it.  It will be a long-term project, as the building was just moved and signed over to the Historical Society last week.  Looks like it's gonna be fun. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

beenthere

DanG
Looks like a fun project, and hope you have a good time with it.
Suspect knowing when to stop replacing old parts will be the dilemma for your crew.
Any termite damage?  Or is that a dumb yankee question given it has been in FL  ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

No major termite damage as far as I can see.  It was built primarily of heart pine, which is impervious to the little buggers.  There are some points of concern, such as that dry-rotted beam, which was poorly sawn to start with.  The other end of that one is heart wood, but it taper's off to a really waney end, which was never really sound, imho.  The sawing of the beams was inconsistent, at best.  Some are heart-centered, but many are showing a split pith, and lots of runout.  Whoever sawed it was a real hack, but he had some great timber to work with.  That's why the building is still standing today.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

scsmith42

DanG, the siding looks similar to what some of the local NC sawmills produced around the turn of the century.  Lots of local farm houses have original siding like that, albeit maybe not quite as wide but with the same reliefs.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Don P

Same around here, that was locally called German siding, but I've also heard it called drop lap. Our local molder that made it was sold to an outfit in PA a few years back. It is still a produced pattern.
When you're done with that one, our congressman recently got funding to rebuild a depot here. The old one was torn down in the 80's and the track was removed. Now they want a new one for the tourist trade on the public nickle  ::)
Looks like a fun project...have you wandered around the old location dragging your feet?

Corley5

Looking forward to more pics as this progresses 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Brad_S.

Too many old depots have been torn down in the name of progress, I'm glad the town saved this one. They were once the most important place in any town and deserve the dignity of preservation.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

pineywoods

DanG  I have made a good bit of that siding. Here it was called drop siding. Can't find it any more, so I made enough to fix up a couple of houses. It's actuall very easy to make in any width. I made my own knife, running a woodmaster planner. Takes 2 passes through the planner, use the same knife to do both sides.

Have fun, looks like an interesting project...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

tcsmpsi

I doubt that 105 siding was originally on the building.  Was probably either clapboard or more likely board and batten. 

The foundation actually looks in pretty good shape, considering.  I've certainly rebuilt worse.   ;D

Good for you, DanG.!!

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Furby

The old depot in my town is right next door.
I'm told it was the original building, but I really don't belive it as it is brick.
It's now The Depot Cafe.

bitternut

Looks like a good project for you Dang. You seem to be quite good at improvising so I am sure you will do a bang up job of restoration. I'm with Beenthere though wondering about the termites. I thought they ate every piece of wood in the South. I once had a neighbor who was in the process of closing on a house near Miami. It had passed all inspections and they were doing a final walk around with the realtor and he leaned against an interior doorway opening. It moved under his weight and when he looked it was eaten away underneath by termites. So much for inspections. Guess the inspector missed a couple of spots. Needless to say he bought another house and got a better inspection before purchasing it.

Coon

DanG,

Once you are finished with that restoration you can come and do my house.  It was built in 1932 and needs some serious attention.  It is all hand hewn log, random sized with dovetailed corners.  The house still has the original mud and straw chinking that is falling out, then it has old poultry wire and stucco over top.  The roof has been reshingled with ashfalt shingles right over top of the original cedar shakes.  Historically it is the oldest building in the community and needs a pile of TLC and money.   I don't have the money and would be very sad to see the place dwindle to nothing as it currently is doing.  It is hard enough to do maintenace on a good building let alone one in this bad of shape. :(

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

DanG

Thanks for all the kind words, guys. :)  So far, all I'm committed to do is donate some lumber to spiff up some of that framing.  They are getting a grant from the power company to finance some of the restoration, so they might hire a contractor to do the actual work.  They have an architect helping to restore an old house they have, so he might also be involved in the depot project.  They also asked me about some lumber to help on the house, and I told them to have the architect contact me about specific needs.

Being able to do something like this is great.  It helps the community, and it can't really be all that bad for business, either. ;) 8) 8)

UNCLEBUCK

Go get'em DanG ! A piece of history should be worth saving !  :)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Slabs

DanG 
  Grizzly may have a shaper bit that would cut that long face cut.  A rabbeting bit would do the overlap.  I've seen siding of that pattern slod at least as late as 1953.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Don P

Furby,
I've been in them out of just about every construction, light frame, timber, brick, stone (Its a wonder it didn't just collapse around usĀ  :D). If I understand right, the railway had architects on staff that designed their buildings. The little towns around here must have gotten the cheaper plans for a lower volume station.

Hey,
Dan, has anyone called the railroad, they might still have plans?

DanG

Interestingly enough, Don, my Bro-in-law may have the plans.  He is a history buff, and a total nut about railroading.  He lives in Pensacola now, but grew up in Chattahoochee.  He says he used to ride this line when he was a kid, and he's in his eighties, now.  I'll be speaking with him about the depot, but haven't talked to him yet. :)

This track belongs to the Apalachicola Northern Railroad, and is the only line they still own.   It runs from Chattahoochee to Port St. Joe.  It is also the only line in Florida that is on concrete ties.  Seems strange, but it requires very little maintenance.

hiya

DanG,
I have to watch or I could find myself loading up my tools and heading for Florida. That sure looks like fun working on an old building like that.Custom making molding and such that can't be found any longer 8) 8).
Richard
RichardinMd.

Roxie

Pardon me boy, is that the  Chattahoochee Choo-Choo?
smiley_singsongnote02 smiley_singsongnote01
Say when

DanG

Ain't got no choo-choos around these here parts.  This here is the Chaduchie Ra-ro-train. :D :D :D

Hiya, I know where yer comin' from, but I'll conveniently omit your offer at the next meeting, out of kindness to you, of course.  They're scratchin' the bushes lookin' for somebody to lead the project, but I've declined that role because I'm totally unqualified.  Also, they ain't got no money.  I have offered to provide some rough sawn heart pine lumber to help make the restoration authentic, but nothing else, so far.  However, if I can work with whoever heads the project, I'll be more than happy to lend a hand, and provide whatever assistance I can. :)

ps:  I have filed your name away in my personal portfolio of victims, and may be calling on you in the future. ;D :D

Don_Papenburg

I needed siding like that for my corncrib doors  I used car siding inside out . I made the profile by cutting the bearing and race off of a cove raised panel bit for a router .  The bearing had to go because I needed a widt and a half of the bit to make the reveal I needed. worked great.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!