iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winter saw storage

Started by nuke1, January 22, 2016, 11:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nuke1

leave mix in or drain the fuel and run out ?  what are you pro guys doing for extended storage
neil

starmac

Winter is when our saws are busiest. lol
Sometimes I run them dry, sometimes not and have not had issues, but from what I hear if your fuel has ethanol in it, it is a recipe for disaster to leave it.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

beauj5

We run ours from the beginning of October to the end of May to mid June, then it's summer vacation. During that time, I don't do anything. Clean them up and make sure they are full of fuel, oil, clean all the work off of them. Maybe one a month I'll miss the sound and smell and fire them all up and run them a bit, but not anything more than to warm them up. I always run non ethanol and mix it with husqvarna fuel mix. Husqvarna because the dye is darker and I can tell at a glance if it's mixed. Nothing against Stihl, also use that too, just like the darker color is all. I digress. Anyway, that's what I do and have never had problems. Knock and Wood.  I know some folks will add sta-bil to the tank.
When the road forked, I went straight.

T540xp, 562xp, 034 super mag, 044, 460, 576, 056 super mag, ms460, 066, ms880, 090.

colin.p

If ethanol gas is the only stuff available, you can buy a can of that pre-mix stuff and run that through the saw, before long(ish) storage. It's supposed to be good for a couple of years.
Colin
Jotul F3CB, ICC Excel chimney and ULTRABlack double wall stove pipe
Poulan 4218, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Fiskars X27, ISOCORE #8

Gearbox

I just back the PU in the shed and unload them . My long term storage is only a 4 day weekend .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

zach613

Run good gas with a good oil and fuel stabilizer in it. then don't worry about it. some of are saws will sit months and three or four pulls they start back up. Keep it where it will be in a half way stable temp.

OH logger

Quote from: colin.p on January 23, 2016, 12:38:13 PM
If ethanol gas is the only stuff available, you can buy a can of that pre-mix stuff and run that through the saw, before long(ish) storage. It's supposed to be good for a couple of years.

X 2. the stuff I use is called True Fuel.
john

sharkey

Dump the gas and run the carb dry. 

nuke1

Thanks for  the great tips everyone and yes here in ca ,  ethanol fuel is a given and wile our saws run daily our mowers and trimmers may be stored from just after spring thru nov/ dec depending on the weather .
neil

Thank You Sponsors!