iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need to spend money - on tree felling equipment

Started by crtreedude, April 26, 2008, 01:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crtreedude

Okay all - (especially people like Chet), tis time to play, Spend CRTreeDude's money!

I need to get a bunch of stuff for cutting trees inside the plantation - especially directional falling and taking off limbs before cutting the trees. Chainsaws we got (about 6 the last time I counted) and a backhoe, 4wd tractor - etc.

But, I am looking at climbing gear, and stuff for lowering limbs and such instead of just letting them go Ka-blam!

So - a bit of help please? (I hate shopping) - and good sources for stuff would be good too (I have been to Baileys - some neat stuff)

Assume a budget between 10 to 20 thousand dollars - which should be enough I am thinking.  ::)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

timberfaller390

I'm not an arborist but I can tell you that you can't beat a pair of wolf spurs.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

crtreedude

Cool - that sounds good. What else is your "must have"?

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

crtreedude

The winch looks pretty good - I do have a lot of the rest already (need climbing spurs though)

leweee

Fred.....here is a place for spurs. ;D (they call them Climbers}

http://www.buckinghammfg.com/

I'd check out their Port-A-Wrap for lowering large limbs to the ground. ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Dale Hatfield

How many climbers you needing to outfit .  I would assume that these are woods trees.  They are not usually very technical  removals.  Just make sure that limb falls to the ground and doesnt fall into another top and then back at ya . About 1500  would about outfit 3 climbers less chainsaws .
I spend a fair amount of time topping veneer  trees. makes  for a very clean job when the mess is at the trunk area and not 100 feet from it. It also allows to get some better top logs from large limbs
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Gary_C

A few questions.

How big are the trees (diameter) and how tall?

Are the trees in the forest with minimal limbs or open grown?

Are you having a problem with damage from limbs when felling or are you having problems with trees getting hung up when felling?

If you are going to set up for climbing, you will need some training. Could your problems be minimized by training in better directional felling techniques?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

chet

Gary_C hit da nail right on da head. Da first thing ta consider is training.  ;)  Alot of my stuff is purchased from Sherrill. As an option to finding someone to personally train your climbers Sherril offers some pretty darn good books on the subject.  Having a bunch of expensive and neat stuff doesn't necessarily make a guy a climber.  ;)

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

tomtrees

For me the most important thing is a pro top saw the Stihl MS 200 T, Husqvarna do a good top saw to but I havent used it. Climbers will have ther own prefrances for ropes and harness. A wire strop is good because you can slide it up the tree easer than a rope which tends to get snaged (it is not chain saw proof). I find a topping strop usfull aswell but 10 to 20 thousand usd sound like enough to get plenty of toys and toys always get in the way, try and keep it simple the less things to get in the way snag or dig in your side up a tree the easer life is going to be for climbing. If you come from a forestry background cables are very heavy up a tree a difficult to use ropes are soft on the hands and when you run out of hands you can always put a rope in your mouth.
No point in taking about health and safty because outhers will and you can go on for ever be carful and good luck. ;D

crtreedude

What I would like to do, if possible, is drop some fairly large trees (most aren't that big - say 2 feet in diameter, but there are a few up two 4 feet) withing their canopy, so I don't damage other trees. It might not be that possible, but we aren't in a hurry.

As far as training - anyone trying to visit Costa Rica soon?  :D

I have some of the books - and I have some spanish ones from in Country. The question was really aimed at flushing out anything needed - the 10,000 dollar figure was to say that anything  within reason is fine.

crtreedude

Oh, height is up to 120 feet - usually not much more. Often, much less (like 80 feet)

Kevin

CR;
I'd like to see you read up on the subject, it takes a few years to pick up the basics.
You can fall out of a tree pretty quick and don't usually end up hurt.

Two books worth reading are the Tree Climbers Companion and The Art and Science of Practical Rigging.

You can get set up for about three grand.
You'll need to know at least a half dozen knots and a few hitches.

tomtrees

Myself I come from the school of thought that says there is no substitute for practical experience books have there place. I have pasted through university but I if you spend a week with some one that realy knows the job you will learn realy quicky. Climbing for me is more of a skill like welding or buliding.

crtreedude

One thing that might help you all feel more comfortable is that I used to cut wood to heat my home when I was younger - literally thousands of trees I figure. I can drop a tree within half a foot without thinking much about it - and I can recognize an problem tree without effort.

As far as rigging - I used to be a rock climber - I know harnesses, but more than that, safety.  Currently, when one of the guys are learning, I am with them, checking knots, anchor points, etc. with a focus on safety first and foremost. Dropping a tree can be another day.

But, if someone wants to come down and show us the ropes...  :D we will treat you well. Of course, I assume we might have to have two with Chet. One to go from Yooper to English, and then me from English to Spanish...  ::)

crtreedude

Quote from: Kevin on April 29, 2008, 06:24:26 PM
CR;
I'd like to see you read up on the subject, it takes a few years to pick up the basics.
You can fall out of a tree pretty quick and don't usually end up hurt.

Two books worth reading are the Tree Climbers Companion and The Art and Science of Practical Rigging.

You can get set up for about three grand.
You'll need to know at least a half dozen knots and a few hitches.

I have the tree climbers companion - and I have it ordered in Spanish - the other book looks interesting, I will add it to the pile.

Tom

I'm not a brain surgeon, but, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.  ;D :D

Kevin

Something else to consider is a rescue for an injured climber.
Someone has to be trained to go up and get them.

To start you need a saw with a lanyard that will suit the needs of the trees you will be topping and limbing.
Harness, climbers,flipline and ascender,climbing ropes and rigging ropes, pulleys,bushing blocks, pruning saw,big shot,throw lines and weights,slings, climbing hitches,loop runners,rope brake,rated steel and aluminum carabiners and winch (GRCS).
The know how to climb,top trees and cut limbs, a blood stopper bandage and you're good to go.

Thank You Sponsors!