iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sealed bearings or greasable bearings on blade guides

Started by fathead, September 27, 2012, 06:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

The sealed bearings don't let in any contaminents, as where the greased one will and that will kill it every time. They where not well designed to begin with, having the felt backing made for having an opening as soon as one over greased them and sawdust , and dust in general got in there . Wear was the only outcome to come of it.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Al_Smith

By definition and in truth grease is merely oil with a thickening agent .Contamination is what kills bearings not generally lack of lubrication .

On the subject the mill I am building but can't seem to find the time to finish is 100 percent sealed bearings salvaged from discarded new industrial stock . The track rollers ,blades guides etc are hardened sealed units designed to run for years in a hostile industrial  environment .I doubt I have any problems with them .

ladylake

I could never get more than 3 months out of sealed bearings untill I started greasing them, now I get 3 years.  It's not needed to pump in so much grease you blow the seals out.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Cypressstump

On my little TK 1220 mill, the guide rollers consist of double /sandwiched ball bearing roller bearings for the blade to roll on and a single horizontal bearing for the back of the blade.
I have grown tired of replaceing them as the water lube destroys them, even thru I take em' off , greae em' up almost each use if there is much down time between uses.

I found some roller guide bearing on Cooks website I am going to use. They are very much like the WM rollers.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

nas

I have a sealed bearing on the fixed side and a greaseable on the moveable side.  I find that when I replace the blade and try to get it between the grease zerk and the guard it is a tight fit and I often scrape the blade against the guard.  I'm sure it sometimes takes the sharpness off some of the teeth when I do that.  I will replace that guide soon with a sealed bearing.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

isawlogs

Nick, you know you can change only the bearing and pull the zerk out and put a plug in there  eh eh   :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Migal

Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Brucer

I prefer sealed ball or roller bearings.

Most folks who use greasable bearings either don't grease them at all :( or put in way too much grease way too often :o. And a lot of folks don't bother to wipe off the top of the zerk fitting with a clean cloth before and after they grease them ::).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Ga Mtn Man

Need your opinion on bearings for my roller guides.  I can buy two no-name (probably made in China) sealed bearings for less than the price of one name brand bearing.  Which would you buy?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Cypressstump

I have found that using either bearings, regardless of brand will not last too long if not taken down and greased internally a bit. Mainly due to the amount of water I use, if not maintained they will foul and bind up.

I bought a box full of the no-names at 2+ bucks a pop. They have lasted as well as anything else so far, as long as I don't let them set too long without a bit of grease.

I have yet to modify my mill to accept the cooks 2" rollers, yet.... ::) 
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Ga_Mtn_Man on October 30, 2012, 05:38:26 PM
Need your opinion on bearings for my roller guides.  I can buy two no-name (probably made in China) sealed bearings for less than the price of one name brand bearing.  Which would you buy?

I tend to stick with the brands I have known and used for years. thats what BC bearing carries any way. they do have the cheap stuff now too but they dont even offer it to me any more. I like SKF and Timken and one other western europe one that i cant remember the name of.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Magicman

I buy and use what my sawmill manufacturer recommends.  In 6,000 hours, I have only had one sealed bearing to fail.  I knocked an old bearing out of a worn roller guide, tapped it in, and away it went.  I don't off hand know how many roller guides that I have worn out.  If it is sealed, contaminants can not get into the bearing.  WM and probably others have a felt and then a metal washer that effectively isolates the bearing from the normal sawmill activities.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

Quote from: Magicman on October 30, 2012, 05:55:48 PM
WM and probably others have a felt and then a metal washer that effectively isolates the bearing from the normal sawmill activities.

TK does not have that felt and metal washer and that's the reason for short bearing life on the TK.

I plan to fabricate a metal washer shield similar to WM, but I didn't know about the felt washer.  If anybody has a picture it would help.  If no picture a description of the assembly would work.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

I don't know because I did not understand the illustrations. 

WM has felt washers that are next to the sealed bearings and are captured in front of and behind the roller guide.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ga Mtn Man

From the manufacturer's website:

"The felt sealed ball bearing falls within the product category of deep groove ball bearings.  The characteristics of this group are wider inner or outer rings and the original production designs used a metal shield with a felt ring on one or both sides of the bearing.  However, most of the designs in production today have switched to a heavy duty rubber seal to replace the felt."

So probably not what WM is using.

Magicman

WM's bearings are regular over the counter sealed beatings.  The felt washers surely protect them from the soapy water lube mixture, etc.

ladylake

The felt washer sounds like a good plan, Larry send me a couple when you get them made.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Cypressstump

humm,. felt washer, good info !  did not know WM used them.
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift

Thank You Sponsors!