iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Identification

Started by Mossy Chariot, December 23, 2019, 12:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossy Chariot

Will someone identify the log I am preparing to saw?  Thanks for your help!!!!

Tony B
LT35HD, Riehl Edger, Woodmaster 725 Planer/Molder, Nyle 53 Drying Kiln, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, T750 Bobcat, E50 Excavator, Kubota 3450, Wallenstein Skidding Winch, Vermeer BC1250 Chipper, Stihl 250 & 460, Can-Am Defender

stanmillnc

The square bark pattern indicates Persimmon to me. You'll know once you start sawing it - if it's hard as a rock, it's Persimmon!

Larry

Black gum.

Wait for WDH to give the correct answer!
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Southside

That or Tupelo came to mind. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Pretty sure that it is persimmon.  One way to tell for certain between persimmon and blackgum.  Persimmon is ring porous or semi-ring porous.  Blackgum is diffuse porous.  A close look at the end grain will give you the answer.  Or, take a razor knife and make a clean slice on the end grain so that you can clearly see at least three or four growth rings, take a close-up pic, and post it here. 

Another clue is that dark/black pith.  That is what you would see in persimmon.  I do believe that it is persimmon and I want it!!!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DPatton

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

stavebuyer

WDH

After sleeping on it, I wouldn't argue with you about that as the knobby bark is also seen on upland blackgum.  Persimmon bark is typically blacker than what is in the pic.  However, the ring structure will be the deciding factor. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

stavebuyer

The green moss growing in the bark is also characteristic of black gum. Persimmon usually has a much more uniform bark pattern that runs more to black.

timberking

I can go either way.  I see both but my first thought was persimmon.

Mossy Chariot

Here are a few pictures of a cross-section sliver. Could not get the camera to focus close up. These are under a magnifying glass. 

Tony B
LT35HD, Riehl Edger, Woodmaster 725 Planer/Molder, Nyle 53 Drying Kiln, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, T750 Bobcat, E50 Excavator, Kubota 3450, Wallenstein Skidding Winch, Vermeer BC1250 Chipper, Stihl 250 & 460, Can-Am Defender

WDH

I believe that the blackgummers have it. 

Mossy Chariot

Thank you guys. It seemed a little on the soft side, relatively, when I sawed it. Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas!
Tony B

123maxbars

see much of that down in Knoxville? Don/t see much up here @Mossy Chariot 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Mossy Chariot

No not much Nathan @123maxbars   This is the only one I've seen on my property. I've seen one on a neighbor's property as well. 
Tony B

Thank You Sponsors!