iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How might you saw your slabs into firewood?

Started by WoodenHead, June 20, 2015, 12:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Amazes me how these old threads come back to life sometimes but this one is certainly pertinent. I am very small potatoes compared to many on this forum. I used to haul my waste slabs to a burn pile and burn them when the pile was too big and weather conditions were right. Then I got the bright idea of selling them pretty much like the OP said he did. I started selling them for $25/trailer or truck load then people started getting them in small trucks and such
and I felt guilty so charged them $10/pu load which is what I do now. I have one old derelict neighbor who has been buying them about as fast as I generate them. He comes up with his brother and saws them into pieces 8-12 inches long so when he leaves he has a full truck load. If I am around I go out and help and listen and laugh at those two bickering at each other. Right now he is paid up a load ahead.

I have given them away to anyone with a hard luck story and tell
woodworkers they are welcome to scrounge through my slabwood pile.

I'd love to be able to sell it for a premium price but firewood sells cheap around here. Anybody who needs beer money will go out and cut a load of oak or locust firewood and sell it for $35-$40. My little FEL is too small to carry much of a load so I haven't found it worth my time and effort to cut and/or bundle them. I have a dozen or so bundles I cut for campfire wood which never sold. There is a market but I'd have to put more money and time into it and the juice ain't worth the squeeze for me. I commend those who do but I'm not at that point yet.

I'm not really making anything much off mine but I get help getting rid of them and  they are being used and I get a little entertainment visiting with my neighbors. I even build and staged some more sawhorses out there for them to use when sawing into small lengths.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Stephen1

It is amazing how old threads come to life.
i have 2 racks built that are 3.5x3.5 x8' long. I always build the bundle even from 1 end closest to the mill. I saw the far end even, and then I will then strap the bundle 3 times, makes sawing the bundle with a 24" chainsaw easier, then I move the bundles to a pile to air dry. We use the slabs for our Sugar Bush to boil sap. What we do not use I sell to locals for $50 for softwood or mixed soft & hard. I charge $100 if i know they are pure hardwood. Customers like the 3 straps as they do what I do to saw off the firewood.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

When I saw for myself getting rid of sawmill slabs/waste is easy, plus it makes folks happy:

what to do with the slabs in Sawmills and Milling
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

PAmizerman

I pull my slabs back a roller conveyor and stack them in a rack. When the rack is full I strap them and move them to a pile. Using 4x4 in between. Once they are seasoned I sell them either by the bundle or cut into 16" pieces. I built a rack that keeps it all neat. I just cut down through the full bundle with a 36" bar. The pieces stay in the rack until the customer comes to pick them up. So no extra handling.

Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

moodnacreek

Have a slab drag that is 20' long. When it gets full I feed the slabs through an old Cornell slab wood saw that feeds a conveyer that loads the fire wood truck. Next I have to make a delivery. No slab wood hits the ground here nor is there any inventory, tried that years ago.

Thank You Sponsors!