iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw Identification

Started by donbj, May 25, 2020, 10:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donbj

I picked up this old Husqvarna saw along with a couple Husqvarna 44's. Wondering if anyone recognizes what model it is. I tried to research the serial number but couldn't really nail anything down with that.

I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Real1shepherd

Hopefully, a Husky collector will see your pics and identify.

I know a lot of Husky saws that it is not, but that doesn't help you out. I'm a lot better with identifying older J'reds, even though Husky was the first saw brand I used in the woods. Actually no.....the first saw I used in the woods was a 075 Stihl....what a pig of a saw.

Kevin

sawguy21

I started my career in a Stihl shop, learned to hate the 075. ;D I am guessing yours is a model 65 from the mid 60's, I have a later L65 which is similar.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

donbj

Thanks Sawguy21. It actually fires up. Good compression and spark. I squirted some fuel in the carb and it ran til it used that fuel up. Won't pull it's own fuel though. Carb fiddlin is next.

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Real1shepherd

Probably a Tilly....just get a complete carb kit for it and change all the fuel lines and filter.

Kevin

donbj

Quote from: Real1shepherd on May 27, 2020, 08:37:54 AM
Probably a Tilly....just get a complete carb kit for it and change all the fuel lines and filter.

Kevin
Yes it is a Tillotson. Ordered a carb kit and filter today. The fuel line is a no choice one. It disintegrated to a pile of goo in the tank. The only thing left in there was the filter. That tank was fun to clean out.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: donbj on May 29, 2020, 01:27:57 AM
Quote from: Real1shepherd on May 27, 2020, 08:37:54 AM

Kevin
Yes it is a Tillotson. Ordered a carb kit and filter today. The fuel line is a no choice one. It disintegrated to a pile of goo in the tank. The only thing left in there was the filter. That tank was fun to clean out.
I once bought a used J'reds 90 from Arkansas on eBay. The saw came so filthy that I let it sit in a box for a yr until I got around to it. Once I got it cleaned off/out I realized it was a low hr saw hacked on by a homeowner/woodcutter/weekend warrior.

I think what happened was he stripped one of the bar studs, he couldn't get the saw started for another reason and just gave up. Left the gas mix in the tank and shoved it somewhere out of sight for yrs. The gas tank was so bad with varnish, I had to use lacquer thinner and BB's to get all the gunk out.

Once I got everything fixed, all lines replaced and rebuilt the carb, it became one of the best running saws I have.

The carb to intake gasket in the kit you have will be wrong. It won't completely cover the impulse channel and you'll never get the saw tuned correctly. Make sure you use the proper gasket. That was covered here in a recent thread.

Kevin

donbj

Well, I hope I get the right parts. I lay the old parts/gaskets out and compare with new when I do this just to make sure the same thing goes back in. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

Real1shepherd

Everything will work fine in the kit EXCEPT the carb to intake gasket. It will be diamond shaped and won't cover the impulse channel completely.

The right gasket is still available from Husky as a separate part #.

Kevin

lxskllr

How does an incorrect gasket happen?

"Hey boss. I got everything together for the kit, but I can't find a gasket"

"Just grab whatever. It'll be fine..."

???

Real1shepherd

I have absolutely no idea how/when it happened. They started to show up in the kits as far back as the early 2000's....that's when it happened to me for the first time. I have old Tilly kits I never used with the correct gasket....from the 80's and early 90's.  

Obviously it fits correctly on some kind of equipment. 

Kevin

Real1shepherd

It's a little different here to upload pics. I think they are wanting me to start an 'album' and upload from there?

I can post a pic of the Husky gasket...if I can figure this out. 

Kevin

donbj

Quote from: Real1shepherd on May 30, 2020, 12:51:58 PM
It's a little different here to upload pics. I think they are wanting me to start an 'album' and upload from there?

Kevin
That would be great, I'd appreciate that. I have in the past reused the gasket too with success, so that's an option if it comes out in good condition.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: donbj on May 30, 2020, 02:06:49 PM
Quote from: Real1shepherd on May 30, 2020, 12:51:58 PM

Kevin
That would be great, I'd appreciate that. I have in the past reused the gasket too with success, so that's an option if it comes out in good condition.
Need some coaching on posting a pic....?

You can take an old gasket, gently clean it and let it soak in water overnight....take it out and let it dry like on a window sill for a few days. Usually, the dents will pop right out and you have a usable gasket......providing it's not torn or compromised anywhere. Depends on how much actual paper fiber is in the gasket.

Kevin

lxskllr

Real1shepherd

Thanks! I actually saw that once but never finished it.

So here is the gasket pic. It should be noted that this particular gasket is larger than needed, in that it sticks out of the carb just a bit. However, that doesn't make any difference because the inside part fits perfectly on the Tilly's. It's a far cry from that diamond shaped gasket they give you in the rebuild kit.

Kevin

donbj

Good job on the picture, thanks! I'm curious to see what I get now.

Real1shepherd

Yeah, post up your intake gasket from the kit. It's gonna be that diamond shaped thing that won't cover all the impulse channel.

I can post that gasket too, if you want....or put them side by side in a pic.........

Kevin

donbj

Quote from: Real1shepherd on June 01, 2020, 10:00:13 AM
Yeah, post up your intake gasket from the kit. It's gonna be that diamond shaped thing that won't cover all the impulse channel.

I can post that gasket too, if you want....or put them side by side in a pic.........

Kevin
Will do. It just shipped from Michigan so it will be a bit to BC as it dodges that virus along the way!

donbj

Quote from: Real1shepherd on May 31, 2020, 12:19:24 AM
Thanks! I actually saw that once but never finished it.

So here is the gasket pic. It should be noted that this particular gasket is larger than needed, in that it sticks out of the carb just a bit. However, that doesn't make any difference because the inside part fits perfectly on the Tilly's. It's a far cry from that diamond shaped gasket they give you in the rebuild kit.

Kevin

I finally received my gasket set today. Must have been in quarantine somewhere :D. Here's a couple photos of what I got. Looks like they may work based on the photo you posted. Will find out in a few days or so when I get time to dig into the saw.

Real1shepherd

Yeah, throw out that diamond shaped gasket. The one on the right looks correct. Put them both on the intake if you want to compare....the diamond shape gasket will leave some of the impulse channel uncovered.

Kevin

donbj

Quote from: Real1shepherd on June 27, 2020, 09:57:19 AM
Yeah, throw out that diamond shaped gasket. The one on the right looks correct. Put them both on the intake if you want to compare....the diamond shape gasket will leave some of the impulse channel uncovered.

Kevin
Well you called that correctly, good info, and thanks as I could very well have missed that!
For any that have interest, here's a few photos. I had to dig into the saw just to try it out and the saw runs like a champ. Slight tuning of the high speed and away we went. It idles perfectly. Another great dump find!
This photo shows the impulse channel sticking out from the edge of the diamond shaped gasket

This one shows the impulse  channel

The gasket on the left is the oem one off the saw, next the diamond shaped one and the larger ones on the right that cover the channel.

Real1shepherd

I'm not sure why they went with that diamond shaped gasket in the rebuild kits or when it happened...maybe the 90's? I missed it in the early 2000's and thought the J'reds saw was taking a dump on me.

Someone told me once that it fits some MAC application.....I dunno. Seems dumb to me to have to source another gasket out of the 'rebuild' kit.

Kevin

donbj

The larger proper gaskets came in the kit with the diamond shaped one. Gave a choice, that's good.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: donbj on July 01, 2020, 12:57:08 AM
The larger proper gaskets came in the kit with the diamond shaped one. Gave a choice, that's good.
Yes it is, because the rebuild kits for the big Tilly's I've bought in the last ten yrs have just had the diamond shaped gasket. Maybe somebody finally listened....
Kevin

Thank You Sponsors!