iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log handling with a very limited budget. need idea's

Started by mrpink, May 08, 2012, 10:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixacresand

Hi Mr. Pink and Welcome.  Your arch looks alot like the one I just finished building.It has been the handiest deal I have since I got a sawmill. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Taylortractornut

Mr Pink I have a freind that built a mill a few years ago and he  used had a a 17 hp 2cylinder Yanmar.     He built a small arch to skid with but for handling the logs to the log deck he  took a set of forklift forks  and made a 3 point in them.     THey just lifted 25 inches off the ground but that was enough to get on the deck.     Your 3 point that close will pick up a lot more than most front end loaders.       He had a 100 pound counter weght and a bus seat on the front bumper of the tractor.     Often his boys would have to sit on the bus seat for a little nose weight.    I have another friend that has one like yours with forks on the back.     Your tractor would be a hoss with a set.  We often move logs to the deck and processed lumber to the drying area with it.
My overload permit starts after sunset

Cutting Edge

I'm with Taylortractornut.  Mr. Pink, just to add to his suggestion, using a hydraulic toplink will also add to the versatility.  Simple hook up, and you can make your own out of a double acting cylinder and hook to your remote valve/wet line....No need to drop $200 on a factory job.  This will allow you to dump, roll, and load you logs while saving the back.  Just my 2 cents
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

pineywoods

3 pt forks on a small yanmar tractor. Neighbor uses it to feed his norwood and haul slabs and lumber.  A hydraulic top link makes one even more useful

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

mrpink

I'll have to add building forks to my to do list. weight on the front end needs to come first though.
thanks for the welcome's and the idea's.

Thank You Sponsors!