iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Foley Belsaw planer/molder

Started by Mad Professor, November 06, 2008, 08:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad Professor

I found a Foley Belsaw planer/molder for sale.  The capacity is 12 3/4 X 6 1/2 ", 5 HP/220V motor.  It also has a optional ripsaw and dust collector attachments.

Has anybody used/have one of these??? If so, any comments about it and what would be a fair price.  It appears to be in good condition.

Mad Professor

Sorry about double post, can the Admin. delete one of them? Thanks!

brdmkr

If I am not mistaken, that is pretty much the same machine as the woodmaster planer molder.  Click on Timberking to the left and you should be able to get to their website.  I have their 18" machine.  I have not used it heavily, but it is a well built machine and I am sure that it will serve me well.

I don't really know what would be a fair price.  If it is in really good shape, I would not go more than half the cost of a new one.  Less would be better ;D
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

DanG

MP, I have one of those, as do several other members.  I got mine for $225 with no attachments, a 1hp 115v motor, and worn out rollers and knives.  A set of rollers and knives set me back another $140, but I'm pleased with the machine as it now sits.  It does such a nice job with that little 1hp motor, I don't know what you need 5hp for.  Of course, if that comes with it, so much the better. ;) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Kcwoodbutcher

I don't think they have a variable speed drive as the Woodmaster does. This can come in handy for molding. My neighbor just sold one for $275 with a 5 HP motor.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

woodmills1

I also have one but it is just Belsaw, I think the company has changed many times.  I use it extensivley.  My only complaint is that it is hard to get the feed to work well as the blades get shorter from sharpening.  You have to get the projection height for the blade correct.  The motor is probably a baldor and is pricey, but the machines can be had for less than $300.  BTW it works well as a molder.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

karl

Used one for years in my cabinet shop- it was 3 hp.
No problems that I recall that weren't my fault anyway.
I sold it finally because everything was worn out including the threads in the table raising mechanism- might want to check that.....
Wood master has made them a bit different with steel frames instead of the cast Belsaw frame, also changed the feed system.
I assume that woodmaster rolls are the same, bearuings probably not but they are simple bronze that could be fabricated. the belts, chains and sprockets are pretty common items as are the blades.
2-300 bucks seems about right
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

backwoods sawyer

Is this the same planer that you are referring to? I picked this 12" one up for the best price of all, however it has a 5 hp 3 phase motor on it. I found a four hp single phase 220 motor for it for $50.00.
I need to find out how fast the planer knives should be turning so I can get the correct chive for it. Any one have any ideas on this?
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

beenthere

I believe knife-cuts-per-inch is what you want to shoot for, depending on the species you are planing.
There is a good machining booklet out by E.M. Davis....

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/usda/tb1267.pdf
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jheike

I have owned a Belsaw planer for over 30 years and have NO complaints. The last couple of years I have only used it to make molding as I have a larger planer. Some parts are still available online @ belsaw.com. They are in California now.

Thank You Sponsors!