iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got a good thing going

Started by OneWithWood, May 14, 2008, 01:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

The City of Bloomington's urban forester and crew showed up yesterday to pick up the 3 mbft of lumber I sawed and kiln dried out of trees they removed from the city golf course.
I dried all of the wood except the white oak in one charge.  The pile consisited of Ash, Sycamore, Walnut, Cherry and Red and Silver Maple.  It was tricky drying it all together but the resulting lumber was quite good.  I got a number of compliments on the sawing consistancy and the look of the wood. (It's pretty hard to screw up ash, walnut, cherry and maple but the sycamore was a challenge)

They were so happy they will be bringing out some cherry logs in the next week and then as soon as they are done planting trees around they will start the removals.  The forester said to plan on having enough logs to be able to better match kiln loads.  I should be plenty busy this fall with just the City's wood.  Local woodworkers will be making various tables, carts, boxes, cabinets, and furniture for the City.  Some will be given to visiting dignitaries and some will be handed out as awards.  It is a real good program to utilize the resources that need to be removed for one reason or another.  It also helps to quiet the well meaning but misinformed enviros.

I only wish I had the time to further process some of the wood myself.

Oh, yeah, I got paid too!!  8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

ironstumper

OneWithWood, Did you go looking for that work or did it find you?
Rom 8:19 Can't wait!!

OneWithWood

It found me due to some affiliations with woodland groups like the Indiana Forest and Woodlands Owners Assoc. and some outreach I do with the local schools and university.  The urban forester works with a professor at the university who just happesn to be the one who brings his class and a group from the University of New Brunswick to my place periodically.
One With Wood

Ron Scott

~Ron

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Furby

Yup, that's cool! 8)
Good job! :)

pigman

It's nice to get paid doing good things. 8)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

ibseeker

That's pretty cool. Glad to see you rewarded for doing a good thing.
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

Cedarman

OWW, do you realize how many trees there are in Bloomington?  You have developed something just really neat.  Adding value is the name of the game.  And being good at it must give you a nice sense of satisfaction.  Congratulations. 8) 8)
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Ironwood

It's all about the network!! Good for you. I will be having a school here at my place later in the month to witness some urban salvage from their school grounds. They will then use hte matreial in there programming.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Left Coast Chris

Did you end up sawing any crotches, burles or figure?  Pics?

I love sawing for small projects and looking for the figure and special cuts.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

OneWithWood

Yes, I sawed as many of the crotches that I could figure out a way to keep on the saw.

I was concentrating on making a deadline, sawing each night after work until 9pm so I do not take many pics.
One With Wood

Tom

QuoteI was concentrating on making a deadline,

You must be an accountant.  :D :D :D

Cedarman

OWW is accounting his money. :D :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!