iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skype?

Started by Robert R, February 19, 2007, 08:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert R

Anybody use it?  I downloaded it the other day, not sure why as I don't know anybody who uses it except my wife and we aren't doing a lot of chatting.  I don't have a need for the long distance calling aspect of it, I just wanted the free instant messenger stuff.  If anyone out there in the wood-hood has it, I'm under skype name boxrnr. 
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

SwampDonkey

Why not just use Yahoo messenger or MSN messenger or Jabber?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

asy

Oh, OK. I give up, I'm downloading it now, but only so I can chat with you Rob!

I downloaded Skype way back when, when it first came out, and it was DanG unreliable. However, a friend of mine in the UK has it now and says it's fantastic. He's been trying to talk me into downloading it for a while, but I've been resisting, but the chance to chat to you guys is just too much to resist!

OK, I'm "larysa2303"  WOOHOO.

BUT, I won't be able to take any calls until next week when I get my headset.

I'll post here when I'm ready to go!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Jim_Rogers

I use skype all the time. There is a whole group of us who do timber frame design with Dietrich's software and we use it to contact the rep for help. Or just talk to each other.
It's great....
If you have a head set or just a mic and speakers with your computer you can talk and listen.
If you have a camera you can talk, listen and see the other person.....
A regular video phone.....
And the best part is it's free.......

The company rep skyped me once from his brother's house in Germany it was just like he was sitting right next to me, that is no time delay.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

SwampDonkey

I suspect my dialup connection would leave me behind a few seconds. ;D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Steve

Hey I"m "curlykoa" on Skype and have it on all the time. I talk to my son in Bejing, China almost every day.

Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Robert R

I do have msn messenger but have to keep it dedictated for work.  I tried to find you, Asy, but couldn't.  You may have to find me under boxrnr.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Murf

You can also buy credits on the Skype homepage and use a feature called "Skype out" to make a call to a regular landline telephone. Reeeeediculous cheap.  ::)

;D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

SwampDonkey

I just got a scam advert from the telephone company today. $49.95/month for long distance in the Maritimes and dialup. Well I only pay $24.99/mo and I get dial around beyond the Maritimes for only $0.05/minute. I wouldn't pay $5 a month in long distance the way I am set up now. ;)

KGNC

I've been using skype for about 2 years and it has been great. Most days I am talking to someone at the main office in Toronto with it. i was going to Germany for a week last year and bought 10 euro's of credit. I used it to call the land line at home ever evening and I still have 7 euro's left. For me it works much better than Messenger. I have used it over dial-up but it can be fussy on a slow connection.

SwampDonkey

Thought I'd pass this on.
We now have a little cheaper dial around of 4 cents/minute after the first hour. Time spent up to an hour is billed at 99 cents for 1-60 minutes. 4 cents/min after that. Only available in Ontario, Quebec, and Maritimes.

more info at http://www.1010710.com

Yak is still good for some of our US and western members. ;)

Jim_Rogers

Before I got high speed fiber optic cable the skype didn't work very well, a little time delay in sending my voice....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Steve

Just thought I'd pass this on. I just signed up for Skype long distance. All calls anywhere in Canada and the US for $30 per YEAR.

And you can get a regular phone so you don't have to use the computer.

S
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

isawlogs

I am wundering if that would work from Canada to the US ....    :P ??? Can ya check somehow ...... ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Captain

You miss me and want to talk Marcel?? :D

asy

Wow!

I'd make more than $30 in calls to the USA in a year!!!  I wonder if I can use it!?

Although I'm getting a voip box shortly.

At least that's the plan.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Thank You Sponsors!