iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

splitting wood with a chainsaw...

Started by The-Burl-Hunter, February 12, 2009, 06:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The-Burl-Hunter

hello,
I was recently talking to someone who also cuts firewood like I do. We were talking about how white oak gets so gnarly and how it is hard to split with a maul. I told him that I use my chainsaw on pieces that I can't get for any odd reasons, and he told me that, that was hard on the saw, is that true, thanks
The-Burl-Hunter  ???

Frickman

If you stand the log up on end and split it that way, by ripping it, you'll make alot of fine sawdust and the going is slow. Lay the log down on its side and cut it with the grain and you'll make long slivers instead of sawdust and the cutting will be much easier. I just taught that trick to a long time firewood cutter last week.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

ErikC

I do it like this all the time. I don't have a woodsplitter. You only have to cut  part way and usually they bust with an easy swing. I cut cedar posts in a similar way, only they're 7 or 8 feet long. Since you never cut for long at a time, I doubt it would hurt anything on the saw. The sustained RPM's are just as long in bucking as this.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

oldsaw

I'm a chainsaw miller, my 066 runs that way for 8 feet at a time, often in 34" wide logs.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

MN Ripper

I've been doing it too for a number of years on the unsplitable pieces.  Generally I try to put the piece on a stump or large unsplit round so all the long wood shavings don't keep building up under the clutch cover like they do when ripping on the ground.  I've found too like Eric that you don't need a full cut through, one good swing finishes the job.  After cutting a few you get good at guessing how far you'll need to cut and still have it break.  Every piece of wood differs.
Echo CS-670, CS-330T, Stihl 028 WB

thecfarm

It's kinda hard on it,if you was to do it ALL day long.I don't see anything a matter with doing it on a piece or two.Than stopping and splitting it the rest of the way with a maul.I would not suggest doing it until the tank runs dry unless you have a chainsaw that could be used on a lawn mower too.I've split a few this way,before I got a wood splitter.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

When ripping if you hold about a 45 dgree angle it wouldn't cut sawdust and pulls managable long curly fries . At a lesser angle you take the chance of clogging the discharge chute and filling the chain guard full .Which of course you have to clean out .

rebocardo

I use low profile ripping chain,  cutting with the grain, it keeps the bar much cooler.

I think white oak is some of the easiest splitting wood.

SwampDonkey

Split green and frozen is the best method.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ladylake

When doing long cuts make sure your saw is tuned well, not to lean on the high, they can burn up if to lean and most nerw ones come a little on the lean side.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

What I do is stand the piece on end make a shallow cut with the saw then use wedges,if real stringy after the wedges have it open ,mall will blow it apart.This is handy if your disposing of  A pine log thats too crooked or full of hardwear,white pine chunks can be tough to split.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ErikC

The other little timesaver I do on a decent peice with a big knot, just cut into the knot and then whack it. Sometimes it only takes 10 seconds and 1 swing, instead of beating your brains out.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Al_Smith

I cured all those hard splitting problems last fall .I finally got my hydraulic splitter made . Ha,it only took me twenty years ,not too bad . :D

11 HP engine and 5" cylinder ,almost nothing stops it .

SwampDonkey

Mom's uncle, he split by axe all his life and wasn't going to buy no splitter. My uncle (mom's brother) was splitting his own stove wood one day and hauled the splitter over to his place and started splitting some firewood he had hauled in for him with horse. He didn't say anything against the procedure. He was almost 90 years old at that point. "Tighter than turkey turd beer" as grandmother would say. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ErikC

Dad bought one about a week after my younger brother moved out. Said "why'd I wait this long?'. I think we all know why. I want one, but don't want to pay the money either. But old age will catch up to me sooner or later and I will...

Polly

i bet you could have shaved with the old mans axe :)

Thank You Sponsors!