iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A circle sawmill journey...

Started by SPD748, May 09, 2012, 07:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slider

Lee i have been where you are at it's not easy.Many of us would not known your dad if you had not shared your journey with us.Thanks and push on through this.al
al glenn

js2743

Lee, I lost my Dad in 2007 to a Accident. We was best friends where one was the other wasn't to far away pretty much all times. I had a rough time not having him around, time will make it easier for you. I was sitting at my Kitchen table one day about 3 years later having a hard time that day and I had this calming feeling come over me about Dad and since that day I have been able to pick up and move on. Hope You are able to do the same soon you will know when you get to that point.

eastberkshirecustoms

Quote from: SPD748 on January 27, 2016, 04:44:47 PM
Thank you UT.

To be honest, it has been very hard to work on the mill without being overcome with emotion. Every time I try, I can't seem to get very much accomplished. I'm told time heals however no one can tell me how much. I'll keep trying...

-lee
Lee, I wanted to give my heart felt condolences for your loss. I too lost my dad to cancer in 2014. It has been a rough journey to say the least. He was my inspiration in everything I did. Our bandmill project came to a complete standstill. I just couldn't find the motivation to continue. Let me say that it does get easier to cope and I'm now starting to get my 'mojo' back. Your journey has been one of my favorite reads as it paralleled my own. I can't believe that I haven't been on this sight in almost two years, but I look forward to your future progress...

SCSawyer

This is the best thread I have ever given a read, it needs to be a book, I couldn't stop reading it till now when I ran out of pages, Lee , many prayers and keep up the excellent job, can't wait to read more and see more pics, I lost my dad in 2002 to cancer, its tough but it does get easier, but you will always have off days, this story made me shed more than one tear.
Silas S. Roberts , Bluff Mtn. Timber

sealark37

My father has been gone over 5 years.  My family has felt the loss acutely, but I know what he would say, "What's all the fuss?  I had to go, just like you will someday.  Now, saddle up and get after the job you set for your self today."  I can hear and see him say it.    Regards, Clark

SPD748

I received a message from a fellow forum member today. It reminded me that I started a journey which I need to continue. I think of my Dad each and every day however, he wouldn't want me to focus on what is lost but what is gained and what is to come. I have a log turner and a live log deck that needs to be installed. Stay tuned...

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

plowboyswr

Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Satamax

Lee, may the strengh be with you!  ;D
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

SCSawyer

Silas S. Roberts , Bluff Mtn. Timber

scleigh

Lee,
We never get over those that pass, we just learn to live with it. Hoping you get that mill up and running., let me know if I can help.

Seaman

Good to hear from you. Holler when you need another set of hands.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

SPD748

Thanks for the thoughts and offers guys! I may take you up on them.

To get back on track where I left off...

I have a chain type log turner and a live log deck that need to be installed. I'll have to come up with some way to keep the turner from pushing the carriage off the track. A friend sent me some pictures of his mill that has a turner and deck. He has two pieces of angle iron, one on the track and one on the carriage. They 'interlock' when the carriage is on the deck side of the mill. I'm thinking of doing something similar unless anyone here has a better idea?

I have a hydraulic pump (~10 gpm at sawing rpm) and tank (20 gallons) already. I'll need some valves and hoses. Also, I think I'll need to replace a few cylinders here and there. The hydraulic motors on the deck and turner work great. Hopefully 10 gpm will be enough oil to get things moving.

I never did decide exactly how close to mount the log deck. When we left off I think the consensus was to leave a small gap between the deck and carriage so that the two can't come into contact. Two or three inches should do. I'll have to add some extensions to the front of the deck which will make the turn down arms useless. I was thinking today about how to replace the turn down arms with longer arms that would act as the extensions to allow the logs to roll onto the carriage but they would fold up to allow me to walk down the length of the track frame to dog. If I weld on extensions, I'll have to step over them to dog logs which would get kind of old real quick I think.

What do you guys think? Solid or movable extensions?

-lee

Serving Since 2002

Kbeitz

Fold down arms that lock when up to keep the logs from rolling off.
You really need a space for walking...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

SPD748

Thanks Kbeitz. I think I can make some arms from 1" plate that will work. The turn down arms are hydraulically operated so I'll use that circuit and linkage to operate the extensions. If I don't modify the cross member on the deck, there will be 16" between the leading edge of the deck and the carriage with the extension arms in the up position. That doesn't sound like much however that is enough room to walk I think. The turner has to go in there somewhere, between the first and second string on the deck I think. I'll pull everything back in the shop and get it all mocked up to be sure the distances will work out before getting too carried away.

-lee

Serving Since 2002

Kbeitz

I think I would be lookin at 36-48"...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

jeep534

Lee,
this is one of the threads I have been following. I am glad you are back posting on the forum . keep up the good work.

archie

jeep534

Lee, I looked through your gallery and was wondering what happened to the edger.

Happy Hunting
archie

jeep534

jeep534

Lee,
      I re read the complete thread all 55 pages. ( it took a couple of days)  the only question I have concerns height, obviously there needs to be a pit under the blade. how long are the legs under the track and the height of the sawyers deck,  from the pictures it looks like where you are walking is too high as you would have to stoop to operate the carriage maybe I am mistaken.

This has came back around as a mill I was around and offbeared on about ten years ago has become available. The mill is complete and under a shed. It is a   00 Frick,  the track is steel the husk is steel and it has a 353 Detroit. The carriage is wood also the steel parts on the carriage are very worn and in need of complete rebuild .  I have added some pictures to my gallery none of the photos are of the mill in question.

As always thank you for your time and effort to document your "sawmill Journey" it will be a resource for all for years to come.

Thank You again
archie

SPD748

Hey Archie,

Sorry it's taken so long to reply. I would definitely do things differently if I had it to do over again. First, I would have cast a pit underneath the saw, as deep as I could make it. That dust/chunks/bark/whatever really needs a place to go. Second, I would have made the sawyers deck about 8" lower. The headblock height needs to be halfway between the sawyers knee and hips. This would allow for less bending and an overall more comfortable work experience. It's certainly usable as it is however it could be better. I can't remember the exact measurements. I'll measure the legs and deck tomorrow and let you know. Thanks so much for taking the time to read my journey! You don't know what it means to me to know that others have gained something from the work of my Dad and I.

-lee

Serving Since 2002

slider

Good to see you back Lee.
Speaking of turners.I have one chain turner on my 70 and there are times when i really wish i had two.Just food for thought.Al
al glenn

Satamax

Lee, have you been sawing with this lately? 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

bandmiller2

As I've always said a fella needs to build two mills, be they circular or band, one to learn and the next to be just right. Ether the logs are getting bigger and heavier or I'm getting older I may build a turner for my Chase De Lane. Frank C. 
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

moodnacreek

Quote from: bandmiller2 on August 03, 2018, 04:24:56 PM
As I've always said a fella needs to build two mills, be they circular or band, one to learn and the next to be just right. Ether the logs are getting bigger and heavier or I'm getting older I may build a turner for my Chase De Lane. Frank C.
Only two? I need a third one to correct the mistakes learned on the first 2.

Southside

Giving this a bump to bring it to those who have not read it, start at page 1, you want to read the whole thing.  @SPD748 if you are still out there we would love to hear from you.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!