iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got terraces?

Started by jamestvoss, September 29, 2020, 02:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamestvoss

I've recently purchased a 15 acre tract in central Arkansas. I don't yet know much about the history of the place but I do know that it was purchased 20 years ago from a timber company and that timber company still owns land on two sides of me.

A neighbor told me that he has lived here for about 45 years and that the trees and land are 'just like they were when he moved here'.

I do plan to contact the timber company and find out what I can regarding the history of the place but I'm curious about some things you might know by looking at some pictures.

Terraces like the ones show in these photos are prevalent over the place. I realize these are there for erosion control but is this fairly common to do when land has been clear cut and then re-planted?
Judging by the size of many of the pines (22 to 26 inches diameter) and based on the statement by the neighbor my guess is that this land may have been heavily harvested approximately 75+ years ago and the terraces put in place at that time to prevent erosion.

So what's you take on this? Am I on the right path with my assumption etc.

I'm going to begin doing some extensive thinning, clearing of tangle foot vines, a small amount of very selective harvesting and general improvement of the tract very soon and want to arm myself with all of the knowledge I can before I begin this journey.

My goal for the place if for it to stay a 'timber sanctuary' and to do very selective harvesting of products to sell to artists and to build my own projects.

thanks!

sprucebunny

I've seen somewhat smaller ridges on land and was told it was because they used a plow of some kind to expose the soil and make planting easier.

Do they run across a hillside ? That would make me think a dual purpose to plant and control runoff.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Walnut Beast

Are there any risers or just dirt mounds to stop erosion. Around here terraces are trenched then a perforated plastic pipe and plastic piping are installed. Then the terrace mound is made and shaped with the dozer so the slope goes to the perforated tube. Then water drains there. On down the hill. Building terrraces is the bulk of my older friends business. I've run the dozer making and shaping the mounds. My friend is a animal. He is a little older guy that works 14-16 hrs a day. Basically around the clock by himself . Lives in a trailer that looks abandoned and like a junkyard.  Has a ton of heavy equipment and that's all he does is run that equipment. No other activities. 

scsmith42

100 years or so ago many crop farms had terraced land in order to hold runoff rain water for the crops.  This was done in my area of NC for cotton.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Walnut Beast

That's probably when they were done. I've seen some pictures of that era of terraces that where in a pasture. It's pretty amazing what they did back then

garyfg

Where are you located in central AR. I live in Quitman AR. I have seen them in woods alot bigger than that with the furrows still there from the last time they planted cotton back in the thirty's.

mike_belben

Any chance theyre just the spoil dirt rolled off a dozer blade to make the skid roads?  Hard to get the feel from pics. 
Praise The Lord

TKehl

My hunch is that they are old crop fields.  Many places were cleared of timber, cropped, then when fertility dropped switched to pasture or forest.  

Terraces got attention after the dust bowl.  The ones on our land were put in late 50s or early 60s.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

TKehl

Unless there were any Civil War battles nearby.    ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Nebraska

There are some very similar ones in a couple pastures east of here about 10 miles.  They were farmed at one time the ground is very steep and the soil is light for around here. The terraces are about the same size,  I would guess thirties to very early fifties vintage it wasn't primo farm ground. 

Magicman

My farm property had many similar terraces that were placed in the 1930's to prevent erosion, etc.  During that time all of the open fields were cotton plantations.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

timberking

Thank You Sponsors!