iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood or try to cut?

Started by forrestM, August 19, 2020, 09:00:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

forrestM

hello,  

A customer dropped off this trailer of ash logs. 2 of them are split into quarters the length of the log. They are maybe 14 inches in diameter. Is it worth putting these on the mill? Will they just explode as I start to cut into them? I have an lt 15 so clamping quarters is not easy.  It seems to me like it is better off as pre split firewood, but I wanted to hear what you guys think. Customer won't be offended if it doesn't work out. 

doc henderson

may be under quite a bit of tension and stress.  harder to cut dry wood.  may pinch blades.  would make great fire wood.  may get some rustic slabs if you have a use or market for those.  prob. no harm in trying other than a few blades.  depends on what is available to you.  will this be a paying job, or helping out a friend?  how long are the logs.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Brad_bb

From those quarters you can try to get 2" quarter sawn boards.  You already have them in your yard so try the worst one.  If a lot of stress, q-sawn will try to crown, but cut off the outside sapwood and it may be alright.  If you flat saw, they could bow, which may or may not be a problem depending on what they will be used for.  For me, everything goes on the mill unless it's rotted.  If it looks bad when sawing, then make the decision.   Manage the customers expectations.  Tell them before cutting that those two may or may not make what they want. Let them tell you to try or not try.  Make sure they understand that the yield from the split logs will be less as there will inherently be more waste.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Gere Flewelling

I think the one on the top looks like fire wood or at best a few grade stakes.  The others should be able to be turned into boards with careful placement on the mill and lots of turning to keep the pith at the lowest point and the last board sawed.  I have had good luck this year sawing ash by keeping the tension above the saw blade as much as possible.  Good luck.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

mike_belben

Youre well on your way to split rail fence on that load!
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!