iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Simpson Capstan Winch - Anyone ever get parts?

Started by peakbagger, June 24, 2023, 12:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peakbagger

I have Honda powered Simpson capstan winch. Great rig, I use it pull logs out of the woods. I bought the Simpson as its US built (with Honda 4 stroke motor) about 10 years ago. I was using it yesterday to move some big logs and during the last pull, the pull rope wrapped around between the capstan drum and the main body of the unit (that definitely is not supposed to happen). They use a split roll pin to hold the drum to the main shaft and that was fine. I removed the pin and the drum came off and there was the rope wrapped around the main shaft. The main shaft was pulled out of the case. No way to drain the case so I split it and got covered with oil. The main shaft is retained inside the case with snap ring and is keyed to gear with a key in keyway. The key was trashed, the split ring bent and tw thin spacer "washers" cracked. I was worried about shrapnel from the washers and went through the guts. Everything looks good and I am impressed how well its built with needle bearing on most of the shafts instead of cheap bushings.

I could probably get out the calipers and chase around for the parts from various suppliers but would rather buy the factory parts. I am also would like to know what type of oiil they use and maybe get an assembly drawing as I am not sure where the spacers go

I called the toll free number and got their answering machine and left a message plus sent them an email but no reply. 

Anyone every deal with them or have had to do a repair? They come with a 5 year guarantee. I dont use mine that often so it doesnt have lot of hours on it but definitely older than five years.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

peakbagger

A follow up, I have tried getting in touch with them multiple times. The toll free and regular numbers seem to end up on a private number. 

I did get a response to an email at one point, explaining that they were behind as they were moving. They did send me parts breakdown and I replied with a request for parts pricing but have heard nothing since. I will give it another try this week but its bummer that they are dropping the ball on customer service as the actual winch is well built. 

peakbagger

They contacted me again and explained their move did not go well and they were pricing up the parts, so the saga continues. 

GRANITEstateMP

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

peakbagger

I realized I never closed this one out. I did get the parts and eventually got around to rebuilding it. Things were going fine but a new lip seal got cocked while being installed and that damaged it. I could not locate one locally so contacted them again and this time the seal came quick and I used a press to install the seal. It was a bit of a Rubics cube to reassemble but they had sent me a parts breakdown which helped a lot. It has to sealed with silicone sealant after partially assembling it, then it has to sit for the silicone to set up, then bolts get snugged, then gearlube is poured in, then it gets final assembly with more silicone and after it sets up more bolts get snugged. 

Once everything was set up and bolts snugged its as good as new. Whomever designed it built it last as the internals are lot more complex than it looks outside. My guess is the chi com lookalikes are not as well built. This one has needle bearings for the various gear shafts inside while a look alike probably has bushings.  Needle bearings are going to last a lot longer than bushings. Despite a lot of use the gear contact surfaces looked new. 

One minor comment is the only way to swap out the Honda 4 stroke motor is to take it all apart again to get at the bolts that attach it to the engine.

I have snaked a lot of logs out of the woods with it despite not having a skidder cone. It just takes a few straps and snatch blocks and some patience.  

Thank You Sponsors!