iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

For you guys that cut into a lot of pasture trees

Started by HemlockKing, April 24, 2021, 05:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HemlockKing

This could already be common knowledge in the trade but I will share anyway, the area I have been thinning, had a history ppl coming up on atvs with shot guns and blasting rounds into trees, hunting etc, anyhow I don't know how I didn't think of this earlier but I have a metal detector... and 99% of the time what you hit is indeed steel in a tree, so now whenever I feel suspicious about a tree I will give it a quick scan, and it has saved me a few times!!! You can get these cheap detectors for like 60$ on the ebays, figure in the long haul it will pay for itself in saving you money in chains from needing to file so much away to fix a mangled chain that hit steel. 
A1

thecfarm

What are doing on my land?   :D    
Who will be the first to know why I say that?   ;D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HemlockKing

Quote from: thecfarm on April 24, 2021, 05:39:51 AM
What are doing on my land?   :D    
Who will be the first to know why I say that?   ;D
I assume there is some kind of backstory here c farm?  :D
A1

Sheepkeeper

The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

HemlockKing

Quote from: Sheepkeeper on April 24, 2021, 06:21:41 AM
Rocks!!!
Can’t say I’ve hit a rock unless cutting flush to the ground or stump removal  ;D Have you seen a rock stuck in a tree ?
A1

Tacotodd

I'm fairly sure (in most cast cases) the metal detector won't work on general old rocks 🪨
Trying harder everyday.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HemlockKing

Quote from: Tacotodd on April 24, 2021, 06:24:49 AM
I'm fairly sure (in most cast cases) the metal detector won't work on general old rocks 🪨
That's too bad I was looking to cut some slabs out of it 
A1

Southside

What band do you use to cut slabs out of the metal detector?  ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

HemlockKing

Quote from: Southside on April 24, 2021, 06:51:17 AM
What band do you use to cut slabs out of the metal detector?  ;D
I'm new to the craft of slabbing detectors, any recommendations?  ;D
A1

HemlockKing

Oh and I just did a search on metal detectors in this forum and a lot of hits came up in the sawmill section, apologies fellas. Probably more common knowledge than I figured, I ain't no pro just a rookie  ;)
A1

Ed_K

I found rocks in an apple tree. And we put a 3' piece of ledge up 25' up into a yellow birch 3 leader tree while blasting ;D. That was in 1983 and a few yrs ago we took a ride up into the Green Mountain National forest and it was still up there  :o .
Ed K

Don P

Quote from: HemlockKing on April 24, 2021, 06:23:50 AM
Rocks!!!
Can't say I've hit a rock unless cutting flush to the ground or stump removal  ;D Have you seen a rock stuck in a tree ?

We were slabbing a big old maple yard tree and got to the center of a crotch that had been about 6' off the ground. The saw quit cutting so we started digging. Toy soldiers, a hot wheels car, multiple pretty quartz rocks, and a #7 pool ball with surprisingly minor surface damage from a chainsaw mill  :D.

Another time I had a pine log on the mill and struck something hard, threw a few teeth and shanks. I stopped, rolled the log off and scanned it, marking the beeps with my lumber crayon. Then changed teeth, sharpened up, went up to the shop and got the chainsaw and sharpened it up. So about an hour later walked over to the offending log and proceeded to cut the log at the crayon mark  :D. Big old landscape spikes  ::).

HemlockKing

Quote from: Don P on April 24, 2021, 08:04:19 AM
Quote from: HemlockKing on April 24, 2021, 06:23:50 AM
Rocks!!!
Can’t say I’ve hit a rock unless cutting flush to the ground or stump removal  ;D Have you seen a rock stuck in a tree ?

We were slabbing a big old maple yard tree and got to the center of a crotch that had been about 6' off the ground. The saw quit cutting so we started digging. Toy soldiers, a hot wheels car, multiple pretty quartz rocks, and a #7 pool ball with surprisingly minor surface damage from a chainsaw mill  :D.

Another time I had a pine log on the mill and struck something hard, threw a few teeth and shanks. I stopped, rolled the log off and scanned it, marking the beeps with my lumber crayon. Then changed teeth, sharpened up, went up to the shop and got the chainsaw and sharpened it up. So about an hour later walked over to the offending log and proceeded to cut the log at the crayon mark  :D. Big old landscape spikes  ::).
I think we should turn this thread into “what’s the most strange/surprising thing you’ve hit when sawing into a tree”  :D
A1

kantuckid

In my area fence wire shows up in many locations given that most anywhere could have been a pasture or a bench field. I cut a nice walnut back near my big spring once and learned there was probably a hog lot there nearby. Rocks easily show up near a trees base as it grows to envelope them as mentioned above. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

moodnacreek

My first metal detector, a coin finder came with ' discrimination'. I thought I paid too much and would never need that feature. Well what you do is turn the detector all the way up to find anything metallic in the tree/log. If you are in the woods or thats where the log came from and the detector goes off you hold it right there and go from iron to metals and if the found object is lead or copper mix it will tell you. These soft bullets do no harm to the saw to speak of. 

Thank You Sponsors!