iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White oak or red oak for cabinets?

Started by DouginUtah, November 19, 2007, 11:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DouginUtah

Here are some pictures of how my cabinets turned out. I went with hickory instead of oak and I do like them a lot, just as Tom suggested I would. Very few "rustic" features and the sapwood/heartwood contrast is not too distracting.

Kitchen cabinets looking east

Kitchen cabinets looking south

Dining room cabinets

Living room cabinets

I decided to add just a couple of pictures of how my tile work turned out.

Bathroom tiles with vanity

Entry tiles (Note the difference in color between flash and no flash. Same tiles. These are the true color.)

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

blaze83

Nice looking kitchen, did you instal the cabinets yourself?  nice job on the tile also, did you use the 1/4 inch hardibacker board under the tile?  I've done a couple of tile jobs and found out that I like it, not quite as much as working with wood, but I enjoy it.

any way, good job and thanks for the pictures

steve
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

DouginUtah

Thanks, Steve. Let's just say I helped with installing the cabinets. I have a friend who owed me some hours for drywalling his basement. He installs for a living.  ;D  $8000 for the cabinets, including two adult-height 42" bath vanities. You can't tell from the pictures but he did an excellent job, especially on the crown molding. The solid-surface cost me $5000 ($30/sf) but that also includes the two vanity tops and window sills in cultured marble--14" wide in four basement windows--ICFs with 3 1/2" (interior) wall.

Yes, I used Hardibacker (1/4") over the 3/4" OSB, screwed every 8".
Tommorrow I start hanging 14 interior doors.  :(
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Brad_S.

Quote from: Tom on November 24, 2007, 07:34:40 PM

Or....... :D

Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
And somewhere men are laughing, and little children shout;
But there is no joy in Mudville-- great Casey has struck out.

— Ernest L. Thayer
The Mudville Gazette headline this morning announced that "Mighty Casey" has been called before Congress to testify on alleged steriod use charges. ::)
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

scsmith42

Doug -those cabinets look great!  Nice tile work too.  Keep on posting the pix.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!