iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

GPS

Started by jim king, July 24, 2010, 05:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodtroll

The way I take that, use a high end gps (trimble) and lay out some known points,then survey in to your trees. That sounds more difficult then gps'n the trees.
Could you send up climbers? They would not need to climb to the top but close. (They would also need to be crazy.) The Northwest has had climbers topping trees for years. It would be easier to take gps points then to saw the top off.

Are there any local base stations for gps correction?
What kind of accuracy are the regulators requiring?
Do you have anyone available to assist you with GIS, geo-referencing and mapping?

I regret the added regulations you are having to go through. It is very aggravating to see added rules and hoops to jump through, that sound good on the surface but do not make any sense.
I think you should have the USA gps every tree that will be harvested and exported, and while we are tracking information, gps all the seedlings planted also. Just to keep track.

SwampDonkey

Jim, I can see the price of your trees just jumped, oh say by 500 %. ;D

"You want'm, show me the green and bring your GPS." :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jim king

QuoteAre there any local base stations for gps correction?
No
QuoteWhat kind of accuracy are the regulators requiring?
They dont know
QuoteDo you have anyone available to assist you with GIS, geo-referencing and mapping?
Virtually impossible to find this type of person that can provide any thing you can believe in nor do they have equipment to do it correctly.  We have another problem here in that the local office of titleing has one set of maps and the main office in Lima has another set of maps that over ride the local office maps and neither are correct.  We bought a 7000 hect peice of land and had to send the maps from the local office here to Lima 7 times for them to agree.

We knew that after 7 times niether were correct as it included a village that we had nothing to do with but we `gave up and registered registered it anyway.  After it was regestered and both agencies were happy we brought in a crew to do it correctly , after a couple of weeks and several thousand dollars we reregistered the new map that was "more similar" to the land and slipped it into the public registers office as an updated  map and they accepted it.

They dont call this the third world trying to be fourth for nothing.

This is a real cluster

Samuel

Jim, are you having fun yet?  :D

I wish I had lots of time and money, as I would love to come down and spend some time getting to know your business and helping out where I could.
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

jim king

QuoteJim, are you having fun yet? 

I wish I had lots of time and money, as I would love to come down and spend some time getting to know your business and helping out where I could.

Samuel:  We just had a visit from the US Justice Dept to explain to the people the penalties and problems if they do not comply with the new laws and this week is coming some other group from The US to find out why everyone is in noncompliance with the laws as dictated by the "Free Trade Agreement" with the US.

It is really a mess.  They are putting about 80,000 subsistance loggers out of business and forcing them into slash and burn for Cocaine.  It is a real mess made by real idiots.

jim king

The first positive step on the new forestry law is that we will now have a 50 meter variance on the GPS points of the trees and boundries to compenaste for the normal errors of a GPS in the jungle.  One problem down several more to go.

Splinter

Probably not much help to you, but what works for me in the northeast is a Garmin with an external antenna. It has a magnet mount and i screwed a piece of galvy onto an old cap and mount it up there when i think i need to know where i am. forgot it was there and stumbled on a hunter.. was wondering why he was looking at me funny till i remembered the funny hat with the wire on it.

found the stone corners the surveyors missed......
like this one
http://www.amazon.com/GARMIN-010-10702-00-GPS-Antenna-Kit/dp/B000BS2V80

D

Thank You Sponsors!