iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Raccoons

Started by WV Sawmiller, July 28, 2020, 11:26:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAB

Quote from: Al_Smith on September 06, 2020, 09:57:24 AM
In the words of Rudyard Kipling " you're braver man than I Gunga Din" .A raccoon by the tail no no and no .I've seen what they can do to a good hound .They are a grizzly bear in a smaller package .
My experience with racooins is very limited, however I wondered about Howard's comment about hold them by the tail while painting.
I like your grizzly bear comment.
Personally I prefer to use the high speed vaccination method on them.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Al_Smith

They get so brazen you might be able to hand feed them .I would not suggest it though . :o

WV Sawmiller

In all honesty I have been catching coons since my late teens and while I have gotten some nasty scratches at times I have never been bitten by one yet. I normally grab them by the tail and pull them out of a tree or such until I can make a quick grab at their neck from behind. I'll be like Shelby and I am not advising others to do so just because I do. 

They have slacked off here on my porch and I have not caught one this week - maybe the Mississippi coons are all gone and nothing is left but the much more wily and devious WV coons. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Dave Shepard

Do these raccoons have their rabies tags on their collar? :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WV Sawmiller

I did not say for others to do the same thing. I once asked to get a rabies vaccine while I was in the USMC but they refused. They said they only gave it to vets and such working with animals and if someone got bit they still had to get the shots.

My son got the shots when he was in his late teens when a skunk he had caught bit him. After insurance portion we still had to pay $800. He got the shots in the muscle - one quadrant each week. FWIW - the skunk survived. ::)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

I really don't like racoons, if I get close to one, usually it's dead!

Short story;  I was having lots of issues with them about 15-20 years ago, and heard some up on the house roof, I went out through the door that went into a small lean-to over the side porch and soon as I stepped out I could hear some scrambling around on the roof so I shined up there with my 4-cell MagLight, out of the corner of my eye, I saw one jump at me!

Took him right out of the air with that MagLight, then went back in the house and poured myself another cool one! 

I really felt lucky!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ron Scott

A friend of mine and his wife who lived in a nice lakeside home here went to Florida for the winter and when they returned home in the spring, they found quite a mess and damage inside their home. A female coon with 3 young ones had gotten inside their home by going down the large fireplace chimney and took up residence inside the home for a good part of the winter.
~Ron

Walnut Beast

I hope they left cookies and milk out for them. After all they did come down the chimney 😂

Thank You Sponsors!