iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Unusual varmint found sleeping on log pile, Please help identfy

Started by woodbowl, January 31, 2006, 09:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbowl

I heard a strange sound comming from a large woodpile the other day. It sounded sort of like a 1958 GMC pick up truck with a hole in the muffler. The closer I got, the louder the noise became. I knew there must be a varmint of some kind hybernating in the log pile. I was starting to get scared but had my camera ready for one quick shot before I took off running. It's too big to be a opossum and too little to be a bear. Never seen anything quite like it. Can someone help in identifying this southern species?

o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o

Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Part_Timer

I'm not sure but isn't that a white bearded log scrounge???

I think they are a cousin to the white bearded salvage scrounge but I'm not sure??

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Frank_Pender

I got fare to mideling vision, but can't make the critter out with the picture size. :'(
Frank Pender

Dan_Shade

hahaha

that one made me chuckle

you guys have too much fun down there!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Daren

There was a movie "gremlins", if you gave them water they got big and mean. I would say this one beer would be the liquid to avoid.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Texas Ranger

Looks like a gray fletched pecker wood to me, we got them down here, too. They can be good pets, but eat a lot, and smell funny. ::)

I got a picture of a youngen around here somewhere.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

Using my high tech software and image enhancing capabilities I have positively identified this creature as a pixilated head(<>)pecker woodborer.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

Well, I just don't know. ???  I been stompin' around these woods for a long time, and I ain't never personally run up on nuthin quite like that, though I have spoke to some folks that has.  I just can't figger why a varmit like that would be piled up on some crappy lookin' kindlin' wood like he had just staked out a gold claim.  Must have self-esteem problems. ??? ::)

There ya go Jeff! 8) 8)  That clears a lot of things up, in my mind. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Daren

Quote from: Jeff B on January 31, 2006, 10:20:01 PM
a pixilated head(<>)pecker woodborer.

Them's fightin' words in my neck of the woods (anything we don't understand makes us mad  :D)

asy

OI! Woody, dontcha know ANYTHING???

Yer supposed to SHOOT the varmint first, then show photos of it hanging off a tree branch.

THAT'S the proper way for positive identification...

You guys from Texas, tell him how it's done right!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Texas Ranger

::)ASy, your right, we genally ground check em for worms and such, but usually these pecker woods is to tuff to eat.  So we genally fed em a bit, throw em a blanket when its cold, and send em Florida ta visit Tom.

That way, they can learn about gritz, mud bugs, and good beer.

Jeff

You ain't gotta shoot dem varmits asy, you can lure em in easy enough with a beer can and train em with pretzels.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Radar67

I think everyone should look again, that ain't no pecker wood, thats a common log squatter,  Latin Danus Genus.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

DanG

Hey Wootbowl!  Is that tree still alive? ???  Is that, or is that not, a big ol' orange flower up there on that biggest piece of kindling?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Coon

Are you sure that isn't a variation of the YETTI?????  Don't have a close enough view to positively identify, but I can make out that critter enough to see the sufficient hair and a few human-like characteristics. :o :o :o :D :D :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

woodbowl

Quote from: DanG on January 31, 2006, 10:55:39 PM
Is that, or is that not, a big ol' orange flower up there on that biggest piece of kindling?

That's another thing I couldn't figure out. That is a basketball goal. Who ever put it on that tree doesn't know a thing about basketball. They put it on too low and mounted it side ways.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

UNCLEBUCK

UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Tom

Slabs

Waaal!!! It definately ain't one of them North Flurridy WOOLYBOOGERS!!!
Despit the fact that I also can't see what it might be, it just ain't a WOOLYBOOGER.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Tom

It's a whirlybird booger.  Yessir, I've seen'em before.  It's a deferred, disposed and dispensed whirlybird booger.

DanG

I resemble that! >:(

That is a pretty little pile of kindling though, ain't it?  If this trend keeps up, brdmkr is gonna build his entire house outta Pecan!

Went to the Building Inspector's house this afternoon to look at some trees he had cut down.  There's a bit of stuff there to get right now, but his wife want's all the pecans gone.  Must be 200 of'em! :o  I maybe has to git meself a swinger. ;D

asy

Quote from: Jeff B on January 31, 2006, 10:37:05 PM
You ain't gotta shoot dem varmits asy, you can lure em in easy enough with a beer can and train em with pretzels.

Well, maybe you're right Boss...   I'd sure like a couple of trained varmints around the house, and that one looks cute and furry enough...

Need a closer-up photo so I can see what he looks like...  Should I go get some pretzels bought in bulk?

Does he eat GriTs?

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I don't dare pick up my coffee. Can't  stop laughing.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

submarinesailor

You guys are making it hard on my co-works.  I keep laughing too loud for them. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Bruce

DanG

Quote from: Radar67 on January 31, 2006, 10:48:56 PM
I think everyone should look again, that ain't no pecker wood, thats a common log squatter,  Latin Danus Genus.

Stew

Hey Radar!  Turn on yer chellspecker, man!  Ya misspelled "Genious". ::)

asy

Quote from: DanG on February 01, 2006, 07:44:31 AM

hehe, you misspelled 'genius' too, genius!

DanG

asy

Quote from: DanG on February 01, 2006, 08:16:15 AM
It was a test, Asy.  You done good. 8) 8)

;D

Wel, if theys won fing I kan do, itz spel goode.

thedeeredude

I'd say it's Bigfoot, but there is just too much gray hair :o

Texas Ranger

I found dat picture of a young gray fletched pecker wood, only no gray, no beard, and small logs.

Radar67

Quote from: DanG on February 01, 2006, 07:44:31 AM

Dan, weren't trying to spell genius.......... :D :D :D :D :D

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

DanG

Staples, that's a good shot of that immature G.F Peckerwood.  I can see that the beard has started to creep over its crest, enroute to its final position below the beak.  It also hasn't begun to develop that wonderful patina the mature Peckerwoods have.  I can tell that that is a really old photograph, taken before Al Gore invented color. :P

Daren

Quote from: DanG on February 01, 2006, 08:42:24 PM
wonderful patina .

I like that, Sugar that is not mud all over the kitchen floor, grease on my new shirt, fish guts in the drive way... It's a wonderful patina!

DanG

Now you're catching on, Daren.  Patinae can be our friends! 8) 8)

:D :D :D

Texas Ranger

Dang, I see that there pecker wood most every morning, and he sure as heck has got some patina.  And a lot less crest, but is gray, and the logs aint got any bigger. ;D

iain

Yip we get them around here all the time'

ASY you dont want to shot em, well not when the get to looking as tuckered out as that one looks,  they tend to get a bit tough and dont make for very good eating,

make beezer pets though, good for shuffling about the yard, muttering to them selves, coughing and spluttering in the morning,

keep a can of easy start handy, dont go wasting no money on pretzels

iain

Frank_Pender

Well, I am glad all you folks can make out what is resting on them there logs, cuz ZI sure can't.   I do not need glasses, either.  ZI am going to try and find a magnifying class to look closer. :'(
Frank Pender

rbjones03

Ok let give this guy a break. It can take years to learn to sleep in those kind of positions.........................................

Although, some just come by naturally.
:D :D :D :D :D :D
Peterson WPF 8 HI-LO Large Frame

iain

DanG

They're Pecan, iain, and me and brdmkr are gonna cut'em up if there's anything left after we dig the nails out. ::)  The biggest one has a bit of butt flare, but the bole is about 36" and 10-12 feet long.

Tom

You properly pronounce that "pea can", Iain.  Don't listen to some of these High faluttin' blue bloods that say " peh cahn".  Your pinky finger might start sticking out and your wrist become limp.  ;D :D

iain

thurlow

Quote from: Tom on February 02, 2006, 04:14:41 PM
You properly pronounce that "pea can", Iain. 
HEY, HEY, HEY.............you and Paula Deen and who else?  When I first started watching her and she kept talking about pea cans, I liketouvnever figured out what  she was talking about. :D :D :D
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

VA-Sawyer

I'm with Thurlow on this one. Every time someone talks about a 'pea-can', I think of the 'pissboy' from the movie 'History of the World' by Mel Brooks.   ;D

DanG

The nuances of the Southern(and proper) dialect are subtle, and undetectable to the untrained ear.  A pecan(pea_can) is a nut, or in this case a log, and a pee_can is what coffee comes in. ::)

VA-Sawyer

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

VA-Sawyer is obviously a transplant, cuz around here it is most certainly a pea can. :o ;D :D :)
Brian - 2004 LT40HDG28 owner.

Roxie

Say when

Patty

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Engineer

When I was about 14 we were in New Orleans on a steamboat cruise (the Mississippi Queen) up the river.  One of the stops, we were on a bus touring some of the antebellum homes, and the driver was asked a question about them "nuts".  He said, and I quote:

"Pe-cahns is what y'all put in a pie.  The PEE-can is at the back of the bus.  Any mo' questions?"   :D

It's always been pe-CAHN to me since then.

Slabs

I gotta Crawfish on my last identification statement.

After checkin out Jeff's enhanced graphics, that there is definately a "WOOLYBOOGER"!!  No doubt about it!!
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Thank You Sponsors!