iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice needed for best way to fell a 28" walnut for chainsaw milling

Started by chainsaw_louie, September 04, 2009, 05:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chainsaw_louie

Hi Fellas,

I got a line on 2 medium sized walnut trees that the owner wants to get rid of and see the wood go to
a good home.   I responded and told him I just had a chainsaw mill  and he was fine with that .

What are your suggestions for felling these trees so as to not damage the trunks. 
All I have is a couple of chainsaws (no climbing gear or fancy bucket truck) and would much prefer to NOT climb and cut.
In fact ,  I thought that leaving all the branches on the tree would coushion the impact.
The falling area is wide open, on soft ground, we have had lots of rain recently here in NYS.
What do you think ?

Thanks,

Tim

rickywashere

rickywashere

beenthere

Very good illustrations and explanations in that link.
Thanks

chainsaw louie
The lower the stump, the more wood for you. Just keep safety in mind and have the chaps on while cutting.  :)

A pic or two of the tree would be good too.   :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Larry

Walnut likes to split a slab off the front side when it falls.  Cut like the illustration but add "ears" on each side of the hinge to prevent splitting.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

PAFaller

I would bore the heart too, thats how we always cut walnut. Open face notch, ears on both sides, and bore the heart. By braking the plane of the hinge you are less likely to have a large split should the tree 'roll' so to speak. Also, always lay them flat onto a "Y" crotch, otherwise its guaranteed to make toothpicks out of the butt.
It ain't easy...

rickywashere

i always leave a small hinge in the front and break the edges of the hinge on each side most of the time thats the part that tends to tear and not break when cutting .. as little a 1/2 inch on each side will make a huge difference when cutting 

inwoodcutter

Dan Warner
"there's money in that slab"

Thank You Sponsors!