iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Resonator

"Installation insert wooden teeth". What wooden teeth?! :D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

goose63

When I first bought my new house 17 years ago it came with a dish washer know it all me if you put dawn dish sope in it the dishes would get real clean :o

The way that thing was fomeing at the mouth I thought I was gonna have to shoot it now I store pots and pans in it 
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

HemlockKing

I made that mistake too, soap suds started coming up out of the kitchen sink drain too lol 
A1

Old Greenhorn

OK, my turn in the barrel (again). So yesterday I am milling an ugly log that might have been better used as fuel in the OWB but either way its gone now. Anyway, I was really focused on trying to get a useable 12x12 cant out of this log for the 1x12's on an order. I was dealing with a lot of non-log-like characteristics especially on the opening cut. I thought I had the log set so everything would clear on that cut but as I got about 5' down the log I could see where a branch stub would hit the column. So I stopped right there and grabbed the saw and whacked off several nubs, just to be sure. That was easy because the head was not too close yet, I had room to work. I went back and sighted it again and had good clearance. So I fired it up and let er rip. The head went another 4' and stopped moving. I turned up the feed a little...nothing. So I stopped and looked all around for interference. I mean ALL around and could find nothing. I literally scratched my head, looked again, nothing. (I will note here that I am sometimes (ok, often) an idiot and should really have remembered that.)  So I could think of no other option and powered up the blade and tried to back it up for a better look. I was thinking something inside the log was a problem. I was wrong (yeah, BIG surprise there). I did drive a wedge between the slab and the log to try and make a gap but when i backed up, the blade popped off. Actually I thought it broke, but it didn't and as it was due for a change anyway, I did that. But first, I discovered my real issue. To wit:

Yeah, that's not a good photo, what you (can't) see there is one of those nubs I cut off fell onto the flex chain and wedged under the control box on the head. Maybe this photo will make it clearer after I backed the head off a few feet:

So once again, all by myself, I made me feel like an idiot. ( I have skills in that regard.) Nobody saw it, but I did take photos, so it did happen. I wonder if I will ever stop discovering new ways to make stupid mistakes. I don't know if that's possible, but I can hope. I sometimes say 'if you're not making mistakes, you're not doing anything worthwhile', I just wish I didn't keep proving that point. Someday I will get good at this. Someday.
 By the way, I did get that 12x12 out of that log and I am slightly proud out that because it was not assured, I worked for that and got lucky. I also got some nice 1x12's and a few that are just fine for shop sheathing. Not bad for a firewood log, but it took too much time.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

My dumb move for today seems to be having my electric trailer brakes set too tight or at least I think that is the cause. After a 100 mile trip today I saw excessive wear on both trailer tires on the mill that was not there before. I'll be bringing it home tomorrow and need to be sure to check them before I pull out of the customer's lot.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Yeah that could be pricey. Tires AND brake pads. Gotta check them EVRY time you hookup. DANG that sucks.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

WV Sawmiller

I had the trailer serviced about 50 hours ago so the brakes should be good but if I cranked down the setting too much on on these curvy mountain roads...
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

DesertHobo

At work we'd categorize this as a near miss and it'd go into next week's safety meeting slide deck. Never done this before and hopefully never will again. Never felt scared running a saw before either, did for a minute after this though.

Not the greatest picture, I'm sure you guys can see I tore into my chaps pretty good though. I wear them religiously, even if it's cutting a lone nub off a saw log. Force of habit. Unfortunately, I am not wasn't always diligent when it comes to fastening the clips behind my knees. Came back to bite me today, or the chaps anyway. Was debarking a saw log with a log wizard mounted on an ms230, standing at an awkward angle and didn't take a step back to make room for the saw. Brought it in too close and the chain caught the inside of the chaps next to my right knee. Not sure what the outcome would have been if I'd buckled the chaps properly, pretty sure what would've happened if the chaps weren't on though.
The ms230 and the debarker attached to it were fine after I cleaned all the fibers out. I'll hold onto the chaps as a reminder of how close is too close.

HemlockKing

Glad you’re okay and thanks for sharing(despite the circumstances), reminds us all to remain humble and vigilant while running saws. I had a extreme kick back with the 500i yesterday and luckily my thumb and fingers were properly rapped around the handle and not just sitting in my palm.
A1

sawguy21

I hope the chaps got a hug and a kiss! :D I did that when I was a newb except no chaps, if not for the lump of keys or change in my pocket I would have really torn up my leg. Didn't do that again!
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Old Greenhorn

WOW, 2 whole weeks and everybody has been good. Christmas must be coming. ;D
 I guess it's back to my turn....again.
 So Thursday I started bucking up some firewood late in the day and when I quit at dark I just set the gas and oil jugs in front of the shop door so they were out of the way, but I brought the saw in the shop in case of overnight rain. Friday I didn't get ack to it until the mid-afternoon and I needed to move the splitter and re-position the trailer. So I went right into the shop, slid open the garage door and jumped in the mule to back it out and quickly close the door before I lost too much heat. Well, as I baked out there was a bit of a thump. I missed the gas jug but ran squarely over the oil jug. Messed up the jug pretty good, but it didn't explode. The screw cap held and still works, so I got lucky but boy that was stupid.

Crusarius

a long time ago I started using gear lube bottles for my bar and chain oil. makes filling the saw a clean breeze!!!

At the time I started using them I used to do alot of rockcrawling. Well, east coast rock crawling has alot of water and mud. My diffs were always turning to chocolate milk. So I had a few bottles laying around.

I painted one red and thats my bar oil now.

firefighter ontheside

Back when I used to actually park my truck in the garage, I backed in and went inside.  The next day I came out and saw that I had parked on the end of the chainsaw case with the saw in it.  Luckily it was the 18" saw and I had only parked on the end of the bar cover.  I squished the end of of the cover, but did not actually get the bar.

Today my dumbness involved setting my track saw track to two different measurements.  That did not go well when I took the pieces to the tablesaw to cut the pieces down more.  All my shelves were trapezoids instead of squares.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Nebraska

Awwh, that's just a new fancy shelf assembly technique.  They probably turned out like that rocking chair..

farmfromkansas

Crusarius, that is a good idea for the chain oil.  Don't know how many times I have run the chain oil over.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Crusarius

super easy to pour to. I know for me its nicer to run over a gear lube bottle than a gallon :)

Magicman

The squirt top off of a gear lube 'bottle' will fit on a quart oil 'can', at least mine does.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crusarius

Magicman, you are correct, as long as 'can' means plastic bottle :)

Magicman

Yup, and as soon as they reduce a 'quart' of oil like they did a 'pound' of coffee we are all screwed.  ::)

I have used both a squirt lube bottle as well as a spray bottle for my sawmill ATF as long as I have had the sawmill.  The squirt bottle works much better oiling the chains.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

Well since it was my dumb move that started this, yeah, I like that idea, but I have no problem with filling from the gallon just rarely spill a drop. I switched to the gallon jug a couple of years back because it seemed like those quart bottles would ways run empty at the wrongest time they could. Also, it's cheaper by the gallon But I do like the idea of those squirt bottles on the sawmill chain. That's a keeper for me, thanks.
 OH, and inmy case, no matter what the bottle size was, I would have still run it over. I may be a boob, but I am an accurate boob. :D

aigheadish

I did something dumb! I'm moving a log pile I have to make way for the barn build.

All that went well, other than bending one of my clamp-on forks, and I managed to get it all done. Then I had some scoops of dirt and grass that were coming out of that same pile. I have a hole over by the creek to fill so I took a couple loads over an dumped it, no problem. Next I went straddling the hole to back-drag it and that's where it went wrong. The sides of the hole are too wet and I start sinking, bad. I monkeyed around for a bit and got the backhoe buried deep enough that my front axle was probably 8 inches buried, back wheels about half buried and I'm just sitting on the belly of the hoe. Hmm... The ground everywhere is wet enough so I was just digging holes instead of being able to drag myself out, so I try a chain. I proceeded to break the chain two times and I was still stuck. I stopped and looked at it for a while assuming I was going to have to shovel out by hand or concede that the backhoe lived in that hole forever more. 

Welp, I gave it another go, using the hoe to raise the back side up and shift over an inch or two, then put down the stabilizers to hold me there. Then put the loader side into the mud which, luckily got enough purchase to raise the front wheels a bit. I shuffled my way out like that for probably an hour and a half and finally got it to where my back wheels were on solidish ground. Next I reached out with the hoe as far as I could and ended up having to face forward to drive backwards while reaching behind me to operate the hoe side pulling myself out. I got a good scoop of dirt which actually helped by making the machine do a wheelie and the front wheels were up out of the hole by several inches and I finally got myself out. 

I wasn't smart enough to take a picture of the bad side, it was probably 8-12 inches deeper than this side. I got lucky. This is the third time I've gotten very good and stuck in this same area of the yard.

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Nebraska

It's the end of December that ground should have some frost in it by now.

WV Sawmiller

Pretty minor faux pas for me but while replacing the bracket and bolt/shaft for my roller guide on my mill I dropped my allen wrench used to tighten the set screws. Of course I couldn't drop it on the ground - I had to drop it dead center into the uncovered 3" X 3" front landing gear. Fortunately I had one of those telescopic magnets used to retrieve dropped tools and nuts and such and I was barely able to reach far enough inside to catch it and I was finally able to retrieve it.

Howard Green

Old Greenhorn

I did something similar yesterday. The last 2 weeks the ground in the yard has been pretty firm, but the warmup combined with a day opf rain on Saturday softened it up more than I thought.
 So I drove the Mule into the yard pulling the trailer with about 1,500 lbs of firewood on it and thought mu belt was slipping, but it turned out the be the tires on greasy grass and mud. I made quite a mess out of the lawn and it will stay that way until May at which time I will have to do a lot of rolling.

Howard, you have great aim! That ain't easy to do. About 25 years ago I was servicing a big CNC vertical mill working up on top of the column about 12' off the deck. I knocked my favorite antique adjustable wrench down the column hole. Try as I might, there was no retrieving it. It's still there.

Resonator

When I had my 2wd backhoe I got real good at lifting and dragging myself out of mud and deep snow. Even with my 4wd tractor I keep planks and beams handy at all times to put under the wheels and get back out.

If you switch oils make sure you relabel those oil jugs, if it was my luck I'd put 80-90 gear lube in my chainsaw and cold weather bar oil in my axle. :D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Thank You Sponsors!