iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log prices

Started by Firewoodjoe, August 24, 2020, 07:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

Yes, I am seeing that, and it's already having an impact, as customers who traditionally get QS WO lumber from other vendors are now struggling to get it, for those reasons, and are buying me out as fast as I can produce it.  WO log prices have jumped, and I'm having to make adjustments.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

nativewolf

Quote from: YellowHammer on April 14, 2021, 12:35:54 PM
Yes, I am seeing that, and it's already having an impact, as customers who traditionally get QS WO lumber from other vendors are now struggling to get it, for those reasons, and are buying me out as fast as I can produce it.  WO log prices have jumped, and I'm having to make adjustments.  
What are you paying for a 3 sided 20" type log if you don't mind me asking.
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

As for us on the QS we average from $1.5-2.20 for really nice logs.  That's on the landing, they truck.  Wish we had a QS mill a bit closer because trucking is adding $1200/load.
Liking Walnut

WDH

The soft maple price is for white only, not wormy. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ehp

Ok that makes sense cause our white is almost double our wormy log price . We use to get good money for wormy but not the last 2 years 

Hogdaddy

Hey guys, any updates or are things holding about the same? Traded for a bunch that has about 10k feet of walnut, most will be lumber logs... is it still holding up?
If you gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly!

Ed_K

I don't know about hardwood prices this morning but softwood on Bloomburg Market report this morning is $1482.50 per mbf. I was shocked at the price of a barrel oil, it jumped $3. to $69.50. They were talking that gas would get to $3.00 a gallon by memorial day here in New England.
Ed K

nativewolf

Quote from: Hogdaddy on May 04, 2021, 11:55:06 AM
Hey guys, any updates or are things holding about the same? Traded for a bunch that has about 10k feet of walnut, most will be lumber logs... is it still holding up?
You will be fine for now, the end of the export season might cause a slight drop.  Right now good sawlogs top out $4-5.  I get $1/bdft on limbs/top logs at 10" or so in 7-8' sections.  2.50 is normal for a 3 sided small sawlog.  Much of that has to get trucked to Ohio and that's quite a freight bill, if you are closer you will make more or if you can truck.  Especially on lower grade logs this makes a difference.  Know your mill specs, some take to 7' some need 8' and some Amish mills take 6'.  That makes a huge difference (For me a big fat crotchy butt log going to an Amish mill with double heart but 26" in diameter can be 6' but it is no good for export or the non Amish buyers).  On that sort of big double hearted log we still get $3/bdft whereas if it were oak or any other species it would be left in the woods or pulped.  
YP is smoking hot.  $900/thousand is not hard to find for good logs.  2 sided big logs at $600-750 and that makes all the difference cutting junky old field YP (sometimes I can't give it away).  
RO just moved up a bit in good sawlogs.
Liking Walnut

bannerd

I've been selling soft pine for .10 cents a bf, not much change around here.  I believe the black walnut is about $4 a bf.  With fuel costs going up.. not sure in the future.

Hogdaddy

Quote from: nativewolf on May 05, 2021, 08:03:17 AM
Quote from: Hogdaddy on May 04, 2021, 11:55:06 AM
You will be fine for now, the end of the export season might cause a slight drop.  Right now good sawlogs top out $4-5.  I get $1/bdft on limbs/top logs at 10" or so in 7-8' sections.  2.50 is normal for a 3 sided small sawlog.  Much of that has to get trucked to Ohio and that's quite a freight bill, if you are closer you will make more or if you can truck.  Especially on lower grade logs this makes a difference.  Know your mill specs, some take to 7' some need 8' and some Amish mills take 6'.  That makes a huge difference (For me a big fat crotchy butt log going to an Amish mill with double heart but 26" in diameter can be 6' but it is no good for export or the non Amish buyers).  On that sort of big double hearted log we still get $3/bdft whereas if it were oak or any other species it would be left in the woods or pulped.  
YP is smoking hot.  $900/thousand is not hard to find for good logs.  2 sided big logs at $600-750 and that makes all the difference cutting junky old field YP (sometimes I can't give it away).  
RO just moved up a bit in good sawlogs.
Thank you, NW

cutterboy

Quote from: Ed_K on May 05, 2021, 07:27:28 AM
 They were talking that gas would get to $3.00 a gallon by memorial day here in New England.
My local gas station went to 2.99 yesterday. He is usually higher than other stations but is the only station within 12 miles of me.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

thecfarm

I kinda like the way "they" warn us that gas prices will go up.  ::)  Than if we complain, "they" can so, we warned you.  ::) 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

nativewolf

Hoping we can keep this thread to LOG prices, there was a thread on lumber prices that had turned into a general inflation/price of life thread.  

Trying to keep folks updated with pricing as we hear about it, good and bad, on species that we deal with hoping it might help someone on the forum.
Liking Walnut

Hogdaddy

Just to help keep the thread going, I got about 11,450 ft of saw logs in this week. All tree run, cutting it pretty hard,(that's what the landowner wants) 7400 ft was redoak, 900 ft was poplar, rest was a few white oak and hickory. Averaged .54.  Mat logs 16', 10" and up, 18',12" and up averaged .47. Just one small load, about 1500ft.

nativewolf

Good to see mat logs market is still there.  Gas pipelines business is going to go bye bye but it should be replaced by high tension lines.  
Liking Walnut

Southside

You do realize there is a Colonial Pipeline tank farm not too far from you with a couple million gallons of fuel right? Not to mention the others they own. There was no actual shortage. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

nativewolf

Talking about mats for building new pipelines.  

Of course that tank farm was less than 5 miles from my old home, don't miss it.  Plenty of gas there I hear, not enough truck drivers to keep up with the idiots filling washtubs with fuel. 

RE truck drivers.  Shortages everywhere.  Every mill we ship to is short drivers.  I have heard of a logging outfit in Alabama with 25 trucks and trailers and down to 4 drivers.  Logging outfits constrained by trucking in danger of losing equipment.  
Liking Walnut

BargeMonkey

Can't find good help, every place I know is hiring drivers, i was getting my Mack inspected last week and offered a job driving for scale as many hours as I wanted. 🤷‍♂️
 Im cutting pretty rough wood, somes decent, i had one last week go for almost 900 bucks. Averaging almost .85-1.00 straight thru, big hearted ash, nasty maple, and the few real good logs, take it as long as you can. Walked the buyer thru that big RO job ive got, he figured close to the same on footage I did, alot.. 😆 
 They talked about a fuel shortage, price went down again, my cost is 2.7031 all weekend, the ethanol free 91 is where the moneys at and the people just dont care. 

quilbilly

Quote from: nativewolf on May 16, 2021, 09:32:23 AM
Talking about mats for building new pipelines.  

Of course that tank farm was less than 5 miles from my old home, don't miss it.  Plenty of gas there I hear, not enough truck drivers to keep up with the idiots filling washtubs with fuel.

RE truck drivers.  Shortages everywhere.  Every mill we ship to is short drivers.  I have heard of a logging outfit in Alabama with 25 trucks and trailers and down to 4 drivers.  Logging outfits constrained by trucking in danger of losing equipment.  
Trucking shortage out here is real. Tons of wood at a couple if mills right now that they just can't ship. They're actually thinking if putting guys on quota bc they're yards are full of wood, wood that's already sold but can't get shipped. Millions of feet of it 
a man is strongest on his knees

mike_belben

Any of you are welcome to get your CDL and be gone a week at a time for $13/hr.  

Theres not a driver shortage.  There is a shortage of carriers willing to pay drivers what it requires to make good workers abandon their families for weeks to make a worthless buck.  

I got offered an equipment operating job other day.  Leave monday, home friday. $15/hour.   Oh wow let me pack my bags.  

Im cutting brush and doing yard work for a neighbor with cancer @20 an hour and thats half price of what a clearing saw can make here. Mcdonalds is hiring at 13.  So screw trucking for under $100k.  If you havent lived it you dont know how taxing it is on a family.  You spend much of your check trying to solve the new problems going OTR creates in your life.  Then your wife has a nervous breakdown and your kids dont know you anymore.
Praise The Lord

ehp

log truck drivers here make way over double that and home ever night 

quilbilly

Quote from: mike_belben on May 16, 2021, 11:37:33 AM
Any of you are welcome to get your CDL and be gone a week at a time for $13/hr.  

Theres not a driver shortage.  There is a shortage of carriers willing to pay drivers what it requires to make good workers abandon their families for weeks to make a worthless buck.  

I got offered an equipment operating job other day.  Leave monday, home friday. $15/hour.   Oh wow let me pack my bags.  

Im cutting brush and doing yard work for a neighbor with cancer @20 an hour and thats half price of what a clearing saw can make here. Mcdonalds is hiring at 13.  So screw trucking for under $100k.  If you havent lived it you dont know how taxing it is on a family.  You spend much of your check trying to solve the new problems going OTR creates in your life.  Then your wife has a nervous breakdown and your kids dont know you anymore
Quote from: mike_belben on May 16, 2021, 11:37:33 AM
Idk what company that is but we deal with flatbeds, log trucks, and dump trucks and all of them are clearing 100k per year. Especially the flatbeds. All the contract log truck guys are driving new rigs and no dump truck works for under $100 per hr most $125 and $150 for truck and transfer. 

If you know anyone who needs a trucking job I know lots of guys willing to hire and train with family wage jobs. My cousins first job outta truck school was $60k + and full Benny's

mike_belben

Quilbilly the bottom quote of me is actually you talking right?  I know the quote system can do its own thing on you pretty often. 

Praise The Lord

quilbilly

Quote from: mike_belben on May 16, 2021, 09:52:09 PM
Quilbilly the bottom quote of me is actually you talking right?  I know the quote system can do its own thing on you pretty often.
Ya, then I went to edit and thought... These folks are smart enough to figure it out and I'm too lazy fix my own misquote

mike_belben

Gotcha.  

I am in a historically closed off, isolated region that did not have much paper dollars or outside influence until somewhat recently and it changes slower than the rest of the world which is what drew me to it.  The old guard grew up on peanuts and doesnt part with it.  It is a very low wage area but costs are quickly rising as northern refugees flood in with 401ks and sold home lotto tickets. 

I got a call to come help as a farmhand for a neighbor that ive been trying to make a connection with for a long time for a lot of reasons.  Pays $10/hr.  I said for that i will show up once a week and work like a slave, but its only for my education's sake.  I dont know enough about farming or cows.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!