The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Lumber prices too high  (Read 34969 times)

Online SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
Re: Lumber prices too high
« Reply #720 on: August 25, 2021, 02:26:39 PM »
2x4" CDN $550/th this week

OSB CDN $18/sheet
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #721 on: August 25, 2021, 02:55:19 PM »
This has been a complete gong show! Word this morning is western Canadian softwood producers are scaling back because of oversupply and reduced demand but the fires are also going to be a major factor. Futures traders are probably drinking heavily. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Online SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #722 on: September 26, 2021, 01:13:50 PM »
Locally 2" x 6" x 16' are $25 for premium, #2 is $23
7/16" OSB $30 a sheet.

For some reason a lot higher than in Yarmouth, NS. By about $10 apiece. ::)

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #723 on: September 26, 2021, 04:50:43 PM »
Cuz were special :laugh:

My brother priced some lumber last week thinking/hoping the prices went down but it was only the 8' 2"x4" that had dropped to pre pandemic prices. Pressure treated was cheaper than non treated, the guy at the store said that one guy framed his house with pressure treated (he asked the building inspector first).

Another lumber yard has been selling a lot of " birch plywood because it was cheeper than spruce or fir.

Offline HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #724 on: September 26, 2021, 05:38:51 PM »
Interesting times
Building the land of my dreams.

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #725 on: September 28, 2021, 06:17:47 AM »
Our horse fencing sold out, we didn't cut close to what we wanted but every stick sold.  bark on spots?  No problem we'll take it, too thin?- no problem, too thick- no problem.    It was ridiculous.  Our only problem has been taking forever to figure out the shafts were the problem and then blowing up a gearbox. By the time we really got going it was time to go back to cutting trees.
Liking Walnut

Offline Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #726 on: September 28, 2021, 09:36:33 AM »
Yes but the bugs are worked out for the next whack at it. The next stretch will go better. Glad the startup venture worked for you.

Offline BradMarks

• Foresters are TREE-mendous
    • Share Post
    • Pacforest Supply
« Reply #727 on: September 29, 2021, 12:03:49 PM »
Green DF 2x4x8 #2 & better, $3.86 yesterday, down from nearly $7 earlier in the summer and only twice as much as it was before the crud  :)

Offline IndiLina

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #728 on: September 29, 2021, 12:17:57 PM »
Our horse fencing sold out, we didn't cut close to what we wanted but every stick sold.  bark on spots?  No problem we'll take it, too thin?- no problem, too thick- no problem.    It was ridiculous.  Our only problem has been taking forever to figure out the shafts were the problem and then blowing up a gearbox. By the time we really got going it was time to go back to cutting trees.
Which species and dimensions did you cut for horse fencing? Is there an industry standard for horse fencing?
Tracts in So. Indiana, Nor. NC, SW Virginia

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #729 on: September 29, 2021, 02:45:09 PM »
its gotta keep a horse in.  

;D
Isaiah 63:10

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #730 on: September 29, 2021, 03:06:46 PM »
1x6 white oak is typical in the east. Sometimes people use pine thats been  painted or sealed. Dont want PT around horses. I see horse fence that has a sealer that looks like creosote but it surely is not. Different in different parts of the country. Im seeing a lot of horse fence from the pvc forest these days$$$$$.

@Brad_bb would have some good input on fencing horses. 

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #731 on: September 29, 2021, 11:30:54 PM »
I'm not an expert.  I only know all that we went through deciding what we were going to do for horse fencing.  There are so many different options, many in conjunction with electric, and some not.  What you do for outdoor stall run fences versus paddock fences are varied as well.  It varies alot with budget too.  I'd say it would be a real gamble to try to make something specifically targeted for horse fencing.  If it were a board that could be used for horse fencing or many other applications...giving you many options and possibilities to sell. Maybe 5/4 1x6 grade white oak with no sapwood?  Some people might buy the same in pine or larch or ?, if they are very price sensitive.  But then, it's not going to last nearly as long.  I knew a guy who was collecting pallets and any such scrap pallet wood he could get for free to make pig pens.  I suspect he'll be remaking those in a year or less.
I've seen pen and pasture fences made with 4/4, 5/4, and 8/4.  Three board, four board, five board and six board fences.  I've seen PVC, fiberglass(from the natural gas industry) and steel pipe (also from gas/oil industry).  Our stall runs are made from 2x6, 1/4" wall steel tubing and 6x6 1/4" steel posts.  It was very expensive and could probably hold back elephants.  But it was either that or a nice sports car.  
  For our pens, we use 50 year treated 6 and 8 inch posts.  On the outside we used PVC coated tensile wire (Very thick coated that could not hurt horses. The bottom three wires are probably 1/2 inch diameter and the top is a 5" wide band with two wires embedded in them.) This is more for looks for people.  We have a single electric rope line on the top on the inside at eye level so the horses can see it.   Alternatively you could just use electric rope on the posts (We like Endura brand electric rope).  You can also make rope gates using tension spring handles.  Endura is much more economical and a very good solution.
With horse fences you have to be very careful with the height of your bottom board.  Too low and a horse can lay down or roll up against the fence and get their leg under and not be able to get up or out, or break a leg.  
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #732 on: September 29, 2021, 11:32:57 PM »
I was at Lowe's today and I saw 2x4's x8 for $3.49.  Before Covid I think they were $3.09.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline IndiLina

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #733 on: September 29, 2021, 11:36:36 PM »
I'm not an expert.  I only know all that we went through deciding what we were going to do for horse fencing.  There are so many different options, many in conjunction with electric, and some not.  What you do for outdoor stall run fences versus paddock fences are varied as well.  It varies alot with budget too.  I'd say it would be a real gamble to try to make something specifically targeted for horse fencing.  If it were a board that could be used for horse fencing or many other applications...giving you many options and possibilities to sell. Maybe 5/4 1x6 grade white oak with no sapwood?  Some people might buy the same in pine or larch or ?, if they are very price sensitive.  But then, it's not going to last nearly as long.  I knew a guy who was collecting pallets and any such scrap pallet wood he could get for free to make pig pens.  I suspect he'll be remaking those in a year or less.
I've seen pen and pasture fences made with 4/4, 5/4, and 8/4.  Three board, four board, five board and six board fences.  I've seen PVC, fiberglass(from the natural gas industry) and steel pipe (also from gas/oil industry).  Our stall runs are made from 2x6, 1/4" wall steel tubing and 6x6 1/4" steel posts.  It was very expensive and could probably hold back elephants.  But it was either that or a nice sports car.  
  For our pens, we use 50 year treated 6 and 8 inch posts.  On the outside we used PVC coated tensile wire (Very thick coated that could not hurt horses. The bottom three wires are probably 1/2 inch diameter and the top is a 5" wide band with two wires embedded in them.) This is more for looks for people.  We have a single electric rope line on the top on the inside at eye level so the horses can see it.   Alternatively you could just use electric rope on the posts (We like Endura brand electric rope).  You can also make rope gates using tension spring handles.  Endura is much more economical and a very good solution.
With horse fences you have to be very careful with the height of your bottom board.  Too low and a horse can lay down or roll up against the fence and get their leg under and not be able to get up or out, or break a leg.  
Thanks for those details. I'm looking to mill up some of my timber and was curious about the market. But what you said about not trying to mill specifically for that market since the specs vary makes sense. 
Tracts in So. Indiana, Nor. NC, SW Virginia

Online SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #734 on: October 14, 2021, 06:17:25 PM »
Letter today from Robin Lee at Lee Valley Woodworking Tools.

"Dear Customer,

This time last year, I wrote an email to convey our uncertainty about what the fall would look like. This year, we have a much better idea of what to expect, as the hangover from COVID-19 continues to disrupt the economy.

We are now seeing lead times for some products that exceed one year, if our order even gets accepted and not all do. International shipping continues to be an issue, with unprecedented backlogs throughout the supply chain, and costs that are several times what they were pre-COVID.

You can expect to see some supply shortages through the fall season and can count on many prices increasing. Most industries are also facing labor shortages (were hiring too!), and this will affect the ability to handle spikes in volume or deliver services on a timely basis.

Within the next few weeks, we will be releasing our Christmas catalog, which is uncomfortably early for us. Again this year, we are recommending that you shop as early as possible, as we will not have the opportunity to replenish inventory before Christmas. For those who shop in-store, we also recommend ordering online and picking up in-store that way, you know the products you need are waiting for you, and it helps us ensure that we can serve you as quickly as possible, at the time of your choosing.

I would also like to take this time to thank you all for your patience, understanding and support over the past year it has made a real difference to our staff during trying times."

Offline stavebuyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #735 on: October 14, 2021, 06:43:43 PM »
Letter today from Robin Lee at Lee Valley Woodworking Tools.

"Dear Customer,

This time last year, I wrote an email to convey our uncertainty about what the fall would look like. This year, we have a much better idea of what to expect, as the hangover from COVID-19 continues to disrupt the economy.

We are now seeing lead times for some products that exceed one year, if our order even gets accepted and not all do. International shipping continues to be an issue, with unprecedented backlogs throughout the supply chain, and costs that are several times what they were pre-COVID.

You can expect to see some supply shortages through the fall season and can count on many prices increasing. Most industries are also facing labor shortages (were hiring too!), and this will affect the ability to handle spikes in volume or deliver services on a timely basis.

Within the next few weeks, we will be releasing our Christmas catalog, which is uncomfortably early for us. Again this year, we are recommending that you shop as early as possible, as we will not have the opportunity to replenish inventory before Christmas. For those who shop in-store, we also recommend ordering online and picking up in-store that way, you know the products you need are waiting for you, and it helps us ensure that we can serve you as quickly as possible, at the time of your choosing.

I would also like to take this time to thank you all for your patience, understanding and support over the past year it has made a real difference to our staff during trying times."
I can't bring myself to "like" the comment but Robin Lee called it as it is.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #736 on: October 14, 2021, 06:53:14 PM »
I appreciate his honesty and reporting facts beyond his control.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline leeroyjd

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #737 on: October 14, 2021, 08:30:04 PM »
Happy Birthday Doc!

Offline metalspinner

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #738 on: Yesterday at 08:33:12 AM »
2x6x16 #2 SPF $15. Lowes, Maryville TN
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #739 on: Yesterday at 08:50:35 AM »
I have no idea what a 2x6x16' used to run but I can only compare to our oak 1x6x16' at $14.  Shake, knots, and all.  Lets just say fence boards are not structural grade.
Liking Walnut

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Step right up and beat those high lumber prices!

Started by alan gage on Sawmills and Milling

69 Replies
Last post July 15, 2021, 11:04:13 PM
by Okrafarmer
xx
Interesting article concerning current high US gasoline prices

Started by scsmith42 on General Board

44 Replies
Last post May 03, 2006, 05:04:12 AM
by highpockets
xx
Lumber Prices vs Softwood Prices.