iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking Beyond the Pandemic

Started by wesdor, February 24, 2021, 11:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wesdor

As an eternal optimist I believe we are beginning to see the end of this mess in the distance.  So here is my question:

As we try to return to normal after the Pandemic, what changes should we keep?  How can we learn to make a better life with the "lemons we have been given".

I think we are all sick of the pandemic and most of the changes of life that have come with it.  We have several Zoom meetings each week and I have had too many of them already with no end in sight.  When I really think about it, I am probably about 80% fed up with Zoom meetings.  There are some good sides and here are some examples:

• yesterday I was on a Zoom call that originated in Denmark.  It had participants from all over the United States, Europe, Australia and Japan.  

•Last June the American Association of Woodturners did not hold their annual Conference in Louisville but offered it online.  Cost was $20.20.  This year they will offer the conference again online and rumor has it the the cost will be $20.21.  

I'll start the conversation:

As much as I dislike the Zoom meetings, remote work and meetings have proven successful and we should find a way to take the best of what they offer and continue to use it.

Thomasjw4

We should continue to limit the number of people in Costco.  It just makes shopping so much easier.  

sawguy21

As long as I'm not behind you standing in line at 0 or 100 degrees!  It will be interesting how many will be ready to move back, I can see a lot of conflicts brewing between the wills and the won'ts.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

BradMarks

Let's hope we can return to a handshake (both parties) to say hello, do business, whatever. And say goodbye to Zoom. My six yr old granddaughter stated just yesterday, "I am sick of Zoom".  Relief from those telling us what WE need, HOW we should think, etc., that's what I look forward to. 

Wudman

I'm sitting on my 3rd "Teams" call of the day as I type this.  Number 4 comes in a few minutes.  One thing that Covid has accomplished, is to show that businesses don't need the high rent office space.  A few years back, our company put out a poll for cost saving measures.  I suggested setting up regional offices in small rural industrial parks.  We could buy a shell building for the cost of a couple of months rent at our prestigious office park.  I can be to the airport in a hour travelling across rural roads.  It takes similar time to run across the city traffic from our current office.  Our personnel are dispersed from Boston and Charlotte and are operating efficiently from home.  For a lot of folks, I don't think they will ever go back to a central location.  For me, as a forester, I have worked from a home office for the last 20 years, so it wasn't much of a change for me.

For our upper management, Covid has added significantly to efficiency.  They can pick up that headset and drop behind a computer screen whereas historically they have hopped on a plane.  The downside......we used to see management once a year.....now they schedule regular meetings to keep in touch.  Working around all of the video calls can be a pain, but the technology has greatly improved communication.  If needed, I can join a call on my phone while sitting in the woods in the middle of nowhere.

I do look forward to buying somebody lunch again.  I'm ready to have in person contact with my co-workers.

Wudman   
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

doc henderson

just like many things in life, it will go back, but not all the way.  like an old person who gets sick, and they recover 80%.  after several illnesses, they are whittled down.  for our meetings, I like to be in person so I do not talk over someone, but can hear the others that phone in better with ear buds, than in the room.  at 7 am I can be in shorts and tee shirt, drinking coffee pre-shower with bed head.  My daughter will graduate with a degree in animation, and we never expected her to move to Los Angeles or some big city.  may pave the way for a good job, done remotely.  it had\s forced us to embrace the virtual techniques that we old guys may have otherwise not done.  I still believe in a good hand shake that says "I am your friend, and mean you no harm".
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Brian_Rhoad

Working from home as an employee, not self employed or a business owner has a lot of problems popping up for some people. I know insurance has been an issue for some. There are workman's comp issues. Another is you can't deduct expenses if you are an employee like you can if you are self employed or a business owner.

Can an employee deduct home office expenses in 2019?
That's no longer the rule. As a result of the TCJA, for the tax years 2018 through 2025, you cannot deduct home office expenses if you are an employee. The TCJA did not change the home office expense rules for self-employed persons. If you are self-employed, you can continue to deduct qualifying home office expenses.Mar 21, 2019

JJ

Hiring and training new college hires is a problem, glad to be an individual contributor in my company.
hard to mentor over zoom or teams.

JJ

stavebuyer

I can't see the virtual employee thing working out long term. People are people and it will self destruct.

Tom King

These are probably the only two Winters in a row that I, or my Wife, have not had some communicable disease.  I'm not looking forward to participating again, and will probably always be more careful.

doc henderson

I think the job makes a difference.  I can do meetings ok.  I have kept more in touch with family as we used to meet once a month at a restaurant, now every Sunday evening we zoom and have better conversation.  cause 10 people at a table can only hear one or two persons away, and several conversations going.  My daughters profession is all computer anyway.  I still prefer to show up in person, but when I worked in Wichita, a one hour meeting cost me 3 hours with a drive.  God forbid I had a 6 am meeting (trauma).  my shift was noon to midnight,  and an hour drive so left home at 5 am, got home the next day at 1 am.  long day.  hard to load a truck by zoom from home.  who know with drones ect.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Dan_Shade

I'm way happier and more productive with virtual meetings. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

farmfromkansas

I have a nephew who was the first employee at GMAC to work from home.  Worked so well it is available to others.  The company benefit, is that they do not have to provide office space for him, and his benefit he works from his office in his house, so no drive time, and he can live where he wants.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Old saw fixer

Quote from: Thomasjw4 on February 24, 2021, 11:34:22 AM
We should continue to limit the number of people in Costco.  It just makes shopping so much easier.  
And continue the old folks hours!
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Stephen1

Last year the comment was %80 of the office workers will be at home from now on, after almost a year they are predicting %80 of the people will be back in the office. This was from a Bloomburg report.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Cedarman

I see economic turmoil ahead.  Especially if they pore 1.9tr of gas on a fire that is already stoking up. Wages are going to go up quickly as the need for employees with skills goes up. Wood is scarce, commodities are getting scarce, all causing prices to rise. Ground next to me sold at such a high price that doubles what I thought our property was worth.
Businesses can't get people to work.
Fossil energy business will be affected by the new interior secretary from New Mexico if she is approved.  Has shown hatred for fossil fuels and wants to cut them way back. Energy prices could spike. Private land drilling should increase which helps our business in OKC.
Buckle your seat belts.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

firefighter ontheside

In a world where we are also needing to cut down on the use of fossil fuels, how much fuel can be saved by having a zoom meeting where in person meetings are not necessary.  Many companies will continue to have folks working at home.  They have found that they can save loads of money by keeping folks working at home.  The workers save money on gas for their cars.  

In the fire/ems service, we always had masks available to us, but rarely wore them.  I believe that even if we aren't required to wear them in the future, we will be more likely to put one on.  This may serve to prevent our guys from getting sick as often.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ron Wenrich

Zoom calls are starting to be used as a crutch for some businesses.  Since they have zoom, the assumption is that everyone has zoom.  Not all clients are set up for such calls.  But, they don't want to make the effort to leave their office and come out into the field like they have done in the past.  I can judge a man or woman by how they interact with me better than a TV screen.  

Along with working from home, most companies can tell how long you're tied into their computers.  Now the boss is looking over your shoulder to see how you're spending your time and how productive you are.  Its a good way of getting rid of dead wood.  

I think the brick and mortar stores are probably in trouble.  People are now very comfortable ordering on line and allow someone to deliver it for them.  If the business adapts, they may stay profitable.  But, they might scale down their street presence.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

aigheadish

I'm just ready to be done with the masks. I feel like it's doing something bad to my brain and to "normal" conversation. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

kilingitcountry

As soon as this thing started and people were pulling toilet paper off the shelves, I loaded up on lumber and built a garden (I don't have a saw mill yet .... baby steps). My sister and I were thinking of food scarcity and the reality that we were not growing/preserving our own food. I was 255 lbs when I started building the garden and today I sit at 210. So I guess you could say I'm glad that the pandemic got me off my butt and working towards being more self sufficient. I haven't had a cold in over a year, not even a sniffle. That can only be attributed to the social distancing, hand washing and mask wearing. Social distancing sucks - I want to hug all the people in my life and I can't. Mask wearing ... I don't know I think that might stick around for a portion of the population. I will continue to wear one indoors in public for a long time to come.

Here is a photo of me next to my proudest property owner moment of 2020 haha

- James

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Cedarman on February 25, 2021, 07:22:41 AM
I see economic turmoil ahead.  Especially if they pore 1.9tr of gas on a fire that is already stoking up. Wages are going to go up quickly as the need for employees with skills goes up. Wood is scarce, commodities are getting scarce, all causing prices to rise. Ground next to me sold at such a high price that doubles what I thought our property was worth.
Fossil energy business will be affected by the new interior secretary from New Mexico if she is approved.  Has shown hatred for fossil fuels and wants to cut them way back. Energy prices could spike. Private land drilling should increase which helps our business in OKC.
Buckle your seat belts.
Why work when you can get a check to sit home........

I can't recall exactly which founder said this, but I think it was Franklin. "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will be the end of the republic".

Thank God that I live in 'red' country. Pretty much normal here. Most people shake hands, but might offer a fist bump unless you extend your hand. Fewer and fewer wearing masks. Maybe 50% now.
Necessity is the engine of drive

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Cedarman on February 25, 2021, 07:22:41 AM
I see economic turmoil ahead.  Especially if they pore 1.9tr of gas on a fire that is already stoking up. Wages are going to go up quickly as the need for employees with skills goes up. Wood is scarce, commodities are getting scarce, all causing prices to rise. Ground next to me sold at such a high price that doubles what I thought our property was worth.
Fossil energy business will be affected by the new interior secretary from New Mexico if she is approved.  Has shown hatred for fossil fuels and wants to cut them way back. Energy prices could spike. Private land drilling should increase which helps our business in OKC.
Buckle your seat belts.
Buckle your seatbelts.  I think you are exactly right. The amount of money getting spent is incredible in all sectors. It would be very interesting to know the borrowed amounts in all sectors. Someday things are going to get to pressure cooker levels. It's almost like Kiting That's illegal. Where  money was moved back and forth between accounts that really never existed. Basically in the end somehow or something has to be paid for or it's a chain reaction of term oil for everything or everybody down that chain

Sixacresand

I think we are better prepared for the next lab created virus or mutant.  We all have the PPE and know how to lock down and distant from each other.  Going forward from the present virus, I believe some people will continue to use it as an reason to not do things that they really did not want to do in the first place. Like going to Church, reunions, work.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!