The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: North American Wild Fires 2021  (Read 3643 times)

Offline Riwaka

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: North American Wild Fires 2021
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2021, 03:46:39 AM »
Caldor Fire California August 2021
News crew being a bit risky in another video.

Offline RPF2509

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2021, 12:15:02 PM »
So I just finished a 3 week stint on the Antelope fire in Siskiyou county.  We though we had it wrapped several times but each time we had a blowout it was the wind and unmanaged forest service land that caused the most problems.  Portions of the property we manage are alternate sections with the Feds owning the other.  We mange ours for timber production, they mange theirs for late seral reserves - ie no management.  Every time fire got into one of their sections it was like an atomic bomb going off with the resultant spotting causing major losses in our sections.  Rugged unroaded terrain did not help.   I am not opposed to fire and acknowledge we need to do a lot more prescribed burning but letting things burn in August is not the way to go.  As it winds down we lost 10 sections - five of those to the 'backburns' which we tried to tighten up but were overruled.  The frustrating thing was the lack of resources and the Feds control over what little we had.  They listened to our recommendations because we know the ground but went ahead and did what they wanted anyway.  The initial strike team was from Arizona and it took them a week to figure out the ground and where to put lines.   I saw a lot of the basic firefighting norms ignored.  In the end (though it is not completely over) it was the weather cooling off and the winds diminishing that allowed us to gain the upper hand.
In July I took a forestry tour of the Placerville area and the King fire next to where the Caldor fire is now burning.  Though fuel treatment projects were present I was struck by the overall overstocking of the forests, the lack of roadside vegetation maintenance and the unpreparedness of homeowners.  If the fire gets to Pollock Pines, it will all be lost.  Many homes on steep ground with virtually no clearing or fuels management.  The oakland hills fire happened in the 90's when I first came to California and I thought it would be a wakeup call.  For the last five years we've had tens of thousands of homes lost each year but still people seem to think it won't happen to me.  From Placerville we went to Tahoe and at least there was more visible evidence of fuels management since my last visit several years ago.  Still a fire in the basin with the right wind will destroy billions in real estate.  In any case its going to take decades and a major change in attitudes to gain some semblance of control. 

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2021, 01:59:17 PM »
So nothing has changed since we were on the Lassen and Shelter Bay fires with an S-61 in 1988!
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2021, 04:03:56 PM »
A fire started in a light industrial area of east Grass Valley Wednesday late afternoon.  CalFire has several choppers dumping water on it and as of this morning, 70% contained.  Only 59 acres burned.  No structures damaged but several vehicles were burned.  One guy had a log yard that burnt up but was thankful to CalFire that his business was undamaged.  Unknown cause at this point.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline Sauna freak

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2021, 08:26:12 PM »
Thank the Lord, we have finally gotten some timely rains in NE MN.  A couple of large incidents are still active in the peat and heavy fuels, but largely contained.  One took a couple of big runs in cabin country and destroyed some 50+ primary and 150+ total structures.  Total coverage now holding at 26000 acres and change.  Occasional rains and overall improved conditions are forecast, but organic soils and heavy fuels are still relatively dry, and most of the area experienced a killing freeze Saturday AM, so more drought conditions will elevate hazards quickly. For now hazard will shift to grass/brushlands and lighter fuels.  Hopefully the rains continue to arrive in sufficient interval and quantity to get us into freezeup without any more destructive and costly large fires in the Boreal zone.
Sauna... like spa treatment, but for men

Offline charles mann

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2021, 07:40:48 PM »
So I just finished a 3 week stint on the Antelope fire in Siskiyou county.  We though we had it wrapped several times but each time we had a blowout it was the wind and unmanaged forest service land that caused the most problems.  Portions of the property we manage are alternate sections with the Feds owning the other.  We mange ours for timber production, they mange theirs for late seral reserves - ie no management.  Every time fire got into one of their sections it was like an atomic bomb going off with the resultant spotting causing major losses in our sections.  Rugged unroaded terrain did not help.   I am not opposed to fire and acknowledge we need to do a lot more prescribed burning but letting things burn in August is not the way to go.  As it winds down we lost 10 sections - five of those to the 'backburns' which we tried to tighten up but were overruled.  The frustrating thing was the lack of resources and the Feds control over what little we had.  They listened to our recommendations because we know the ground but went ahead and did what they wanted anyway.  The initial strike team was from Arizona and it took them a week to figure out the ground and where to put lines.   I saw a lot of the basic firefighting norms ignored.  In the end (though it is not completely over) it was the weather cooling off and the winds diminishing that allowed us to gain the upper hand.
In July I took a forestry tour of the Placerville area and the King fire next to where the Caldor fire is now burning.  Though fuel treatment projects were present I was struck by the overall overstocking of the forests, the lack of roadside vegetation maintenance and the unpreparedness of homeowners.  If the fire gets to Pollock Pines, it will all be lost.  Many homes on steep ground with virtually no clearing or fuels management.  The oakland hills fire happened in the 90's when I first came to California and I thought it would be a wakeup call.  For the last five years we've had tens of thousands of homes lost each year but still people seem to think it won't happen to me.  From Placerville we went to Tahoe and at least there was more visible evidence of fuels management since my last visit several years ago.  Still a fire in the basin with the right wind will destroy billions in real estate.  In any case its going to take decades and a major change in attitudes to gain some semblance of control.
We were working the antelope fire, based out of the siskiyou county airport. Now we are on the creek fire, working out of scott valley airport. Not sure if you monitored air to ground comms, but we are 49cu. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
North American Fires 2020

Started by Riwaka on Forestry and Logging

63 Replies
Last post March 20, 2021, 05:42:00 PM
by BAN
xx
Wild Fires

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD on General Board

6 Replies
Last post February 08, 2015, 09:02:21 PM
by drobertson