iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2021 Pigroast update!

Started by Jeff, July 24, 2021, 11:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb616

Quote from: doc henderson on July 27, 2021, 09:35:45 PM
I am hoping to come early to help with the set up, and spend some time with all my friends.  our camper is getting work done and will not be ready, so I will be renting a sub for just me also.  I want to hang with the guys at the campground, and be able to see some sights, but also help with all the prep. that I know these sort of event entail.
I can help as well. What time do you want me there on Friday @Jeff ? 

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: jb616 on July 28, 2021, 11:34:53 AM
Quote from: doc henderson on July 27, 2021, 09:35:45 PM
I am hoping to come early to help with the set up, and spend some time with all my friends.  our camper is getting work done and will not be ready, so I will be renting a sub for just me also.  I want to hang with the guys at the campground, and be able to see some sights, but also help with all the prep. that I know these sort of event entail.
I can help as well. What time do you want me there on Friday @Jeff ?
Somehow I missed this last night, put me on the work party list too! I am not much for sitting around without something to keep my hands busy. We should be arriving late Thursday afternoon if we poke along, earlier if all goes well.
 Doc, what day are you arriving? I know you mentioned it a while back, but now that we are closer maybe you have a better idea? I was looking forward to seeing your rolling palace, but maybe the rental will be smaller and easier to handle alone? I think you are in #33?
 For others, I see there are still lots of open spots in the campground, sadly the other new rental trailer they added is not available that weekend.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

I work the next two day and then will be "off" until the 10th.  working out the details, but hope to come earlier in the week.  without the family, it both frees me up and means I have stuff to get done before I leave (prob. makes sense to most of you). we poured half of a concrete pad, and could finish on Saturday or Monday (if I were only 40 again).  I certainly plan/hope to be there by Thursday.  I will bring my Dobro, although I only play on occasion when I have time,  i.e. not played for 5 months.  I will bring the cask as seen
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Our camper will not be done with repairs so will likely bring a rental.  It will nice to have an offsite area to hang.  of course it will be good to have a small team to help when needed, and @Jeff and @Wildflower could come and hang with us if they had a spare moment to relax.  might do some fishing and or sight seeing.  I think the campground was going to try and put us all in the same area.  I know @firefighter ontheside is in the group.  I think @DbltreeBelgians will be there.  who else at HH campground?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

DbltreeBelgians

Jill and me are looking to arrive Thursday afternoon sometime at Hidden Hills. It's about a 5-6 hour drive for us pulling the the 5th wheel. 
Looking forward to meeting up with all of you. See ya all soon.

Brent

Old Greenhorn

There are almost too many pig roast threads. ;D I got lost trying to find my way back to this one. :D
Anyway, seems there are a bunch of us at Hidden Hill. I had thought Doc mentioned his campsite number, and I know he is dang close to us, but after searching I can't find it, and I know FFOTS is close to him. We are in Campsite #34, the rental trailer #1. I wonder what site numbers of other 'people' are in so maybe we could do a 'walk about' when we get settled in?
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

I think you and Doc and FFOTS need to take along a bag of sawdust and sprinkle yourselves a trail out to the main road. That should be a simple, biodegradable technique that would be pretty self explanatory. Have a nice stay.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Well, Doc had mentioned bringing a warning sign to alert civilians that might stumble into the area about 'Sawyers and Lumberman" or some such thing. I still think that's a good idea, but maybe add an addendum to it about 'bad joke zone', there is a whole long list of things old folks and children should be warned about when the wind up around us.

firefighter ontheside

I'm in site 36 which should be right behind Tom.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Your site is diagonally behind me but I think Doc got 33 which gives us a power triangle of 3 spots. :D
 It appears that all the sites in our 'cell block' are taken so it will be interesting to see if any others from our crew are in that bunch.
 I'd better bring a bigger cooler. ;D

doc henderson

I confirmed site 33.  Joe also confirmed others in our area affiliated with the pig roast (campground prob. on high alert and with additional security :)) and he mentioned some site numbers, but I will leave that for others to divulge at their own discretion.  I spoke with Joe and he has 3 sites still open.  I had reserved the 4th through the 10th.  I work on the 10th and so moved it from the 3rd to the 9th.  45 bucks a night.

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, I got a secret coded message from one of our crew just seconds after I made that last post. I am up to speed (I think) on possible adjustments in execution. It will be great to hang with everyone now matter how it shakes out. I spent the afternoon sweating it out cleaning the truck cab  and toolbox(it was due) because there is nothing worse than siting there and looking at dust and wood chips everywhere for mile after mile. I'll give it a good wash when we get closer.

Magicman

Quote from: doc henderson on July 28, 2021, 05:02:24 PMI spoke with Joe
I wonder who Joe is?  Dave has always been the Owner/Manager.  This campground is quite small and is just one large circle.  The restrooms/showers are very clean and nice.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Magicman on July 28, 2021, 05:26:59 PM
Quote from: doc henderson on July 28, 2021, 05:02:24 PMI spoke with Joe
I wonder who Joe is?  Dave has always been the Owner/Manager.  ...
I suppose one of us could go into full blown recon mode and gather some intel on who this guy is, but I suspect he is either part of the family or seasonal help. If you want a sit rep I can get you something after I arrive. Or maybe Bill, being the point man can get that for you. ;D :D 

doc henderson

the web site mentions his and his wife's name.  maybe new owners.  

Old Greenhorn

Recon complete MM. Doc gave me the lead and I found this on the website:
"Hidden Hill Campground was founded in 1969 by Harrison resident, Bob McRay. Bob's granddaughter named the campground "Hidden Hill Campground" because there was a hill between M-61 and the main camping area. There have been four (4) previous owners before the Lehman's. Joe & Shari Lehman purchased the campground on May 12, 2021 and have re-named it to include "Family." "

So I guess I can leave my camo paint at home, mystery solved.

doc henderson

Magicman

Yup, the website says:

Welcome the new owners:
Joe & Shari Lehman
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Old Greenhorn

Jeff and Wildflower aren't the only ones in full prep mode. I (we) haven't done any distance driving in decades so the other day I started cleaning out/up the truck by doing a full and careful vacuuming, then wiping down all the dust and dirt off the interior surface, also swept out the bed and cleaned out the toolbox (sort of). I have never been much of a detailer since I was in my 20's, but it needs it. All the dusty dirt roan muddy stuff adds up. Today we have the boys, so I thought just washing the floor mats was something I could do while also refereeing 'disagreements'. As soon as I started, the youngest walks over "what cha doin'?" , "washing matts", "can I help?", "sure!". ;D

Next thing you know, the second one comes over, "Watcha Doin?"  ;D....... Next thing you know......

So I just took photos like a dutiful grandpa. As long as they were on a roll, we scrubbed out the truck bed, cleaned all the glass, and put rain-x on the windshield (haven't done that in decades). I couldn't get the 3rd one to come out of the house, he hates bugs.
 Yesterday when it was raining I worked on carefully putting my wardrobe ensemble together. :D :D (i.e. throwing stuff in a suitcase, and "Honey, where are my jeans without the hole in the crotch?")
 So we are getting ready for the drive starting with (hopefully) an early start on Wednesday.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Jeff on July 30, 2021, 02:01:16 PM
Another update. :)

2021 F.F. Pigroast Update #4 - YouTube
Thanks Jeff, That did it! Ironically after looking at several thousand of your photos (really, no kidding) The one thing I was missing was ( I think) the most recent. Got them all now.
 Can't wait, really, I can't wait. This is a long time coming for us. I had hoped to make it last year as part of my 'newly retired' status gift to me, but that surely didn't go as any of us planned. ;D I am glad we can sort of 'fix that' now, but am very much bummed about the border still being closed as I wanted to hook up with some of our buddies in slightly colder climes.

firefighter ontheside

I will not be cleaning my truck.  I will drive it home on Sunday and not even disconnect the camper.  Unload all the stuff that I don't need, like kids and wife and all their stuff.  I will likely have to do a little laundry and then throw some more clothes in the camper and head north on Monday.  I'm happy the weather looks like I'll be able to wear some long pants.  Should take me about 10 hours, but with stops maybe 10.5.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

HemlockKing

I suspect I may be interested in coming in future years so I checked my route length to MI.... 24 hours driving lol 
A1

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: HemlockKing on July 30, 2021, 06:02:58 PM
I suspect I may be interested in coming in future years so I checked my route length to MI.... 24 hours driving lol
Well, you have 2 years to plan. Start going over the route carefully and look for family you can tolerate and old buddies along the way. ;D :D

WV Sawmiller

Stop by and see us here in WV on the way. ???
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!