iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tigercat 630E skidder pedal problem

Started by barniescamp, September 03, 2021, 02:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barniescamp

Hello everyone
I got a problem with my 360E skidder and Im looking to see if anyone else has had this problem.
The travel/engine speed pedal in the rear position (facing Grapple) quit working yesterday afternoon, I swapped the pedal from the front to see if it was the pedal malfunctioning but still didn't work. 
Could it be the seat position sensor ??
I thought id ask on here first for ideas before I bring the mechanic in..

mike_belben

Im gonna take a complete guess before @kiko shows up.. That this some form of drive by wire where the pedal is a potentiometer sort of variable electric signal.  If the front pedal works in the front position but not in the back, and the back pedal works in the front but not in the back... Then the fault lies in the rear wiring circuit or in the computer it is talking to. 

If possible i would try the rear pedal up front
Praise The Lord

barniescamp

Yeah I tried this and both pedals work when hooked up front, I spoke to a Tigercat Tech today and he said to check the seat position sensor first they're known to come loose. If not that then I'll tilt the cab again and go over the wiring.

kiko

The seat position sensor reports to seat module it is located on the back seat.  In the same area of the seat module are some buss plugs they tend to get loose and hang down , check the wires for damage .  The seat module communicates with a module (xt  XP or something like that ) under the cab on a CAN .  By selecting measure on the data screen you can see inputs from the pedals and and seat controls including the seat position switch.  True or false means on or off inputs rather than proportional.   

barniescamp

Quote from: kiko on September 03, 2021, 10:02:21 PM
The seat position sensor reports to seat module it is located on the back seat.  In the same area of the seat module are some buss plugs they tend to get loose and hang down , check the wires for damage .  The seat module communicates with a module (xt  XP or something like that ) under the cab on a CAN .  By selecting measure on the data screen you can see inputs from the pedals and and seat controls including the seat position switch.  True or false means on or off inputs rather than proportional.  
Thanks for the info, I'll be looking at this tomorrow sometime.

barniescamp

Quote from: kiko on September 03, 2021, 10:02:21 PM
The seat position sensor reports to seat module it is located on the back seat.  In the same area of the seat module are some buss plugs they tend to get loose and hang down , check the wires for damage .  The seat module communicates with a module (xt  XP or something like that ) under the cab on a CAN .  By selecting measure on the data screen you can see inputs from the pedals and and seat controls including the seat position switch.  True or false means on or off inputs rather than proportional.  
Ok here we go, I did the data screen inputs for the pedals when the seat was locked in both front  and rear facing positions and both read 114% when pressed to the floor and 0% when released so I'm guessing the pedals are good. 
    The seat direction Din reads false when locked in both front and rear facing positions. this false reading never changed even when the seat was locked in both positions.
    I checked all connections and wires for exposed wires and everything looks good.
The data screen has a module check also and it reports all modules as good.

mike_belben

so somehow the computer has lost its knowledge of seat position and is saying safety first, no go.  

how does it look at seat position, A and B home switches or prox sensors?
Praise The Lord

barniescamp

I only seen the one proximity switch under the seat and its solid no losseness and the wires look good. when it first happened I shut the engine down and turned off the main power breaker and waited a minute then turned it back on and fired it up again and the back pedal worked again for a few minutes. My guess is the proximity switch, 

mike_belben

i imagine there is a test procedure for the prox.  i would try to include the wiring with it by testing at the ECM if at all possible. 
Praise The Lord

barniescamp

Quote from: mike_belben on September 06, 2021, 04:55:56 PM
i imagine there is a test procedure for the prox.  i would try to include the wiring with it by testing at the ECM if at all possible.
Ill call the Tigercat tech back tomorrow see what he thinks.

treemuncher

Just wondering if you have magnetic prox sensors. My machine (not a Tigercat) has several for safety lock out on the doors. If I hold a wrench or other steel object up to the sensor, I can cheat the safety feature. Just wondering if you have tried this while reading the display on the T or F input. That's how I diagnosed my sensor when it went bad. Of course I just temporarily shorted across the plug until the new part came in so that I could continue to operate.
TreeMuncher.com  Where only the chosen remain standing

barniescamp

Quote from: treemuncher on September 06, 2021, 07:12:49 PM
Just wondering if you have magnetic prox sensors. My machine (not a Tigercat) has several for safety lock out on the doors. If I hold a wrench or other steel object up to the sensor, I can cheat the safety feature. Just wondering if you have tried this while reading the display on the T or F input. That's how I diagnosed my sensor when it went bad. Of course I just temporarily shorted across the plug until the new part came in so that I could continue to operate.
Mine are push button, theres a little arm that pushes this when the door is shut. Im not sure if the sensor is magnetic or not.

mike_belben

Plunger style switches are gonna have a metal contactor inside.  Either normally open or normally closed. Im not sure what magic is inside a prox. 
Praise The Lord

kiko

Your issue is likely the proximity switch or the wires between it and the seat computer.  Being that switching on and off and it resetting until the fault was recognized by the seat module.  I cannot say this for sure but having forward only may the default setting when the seat Position sensor is Not detected.  A wiring schematic would make this diagnosis simple.  It has been my experience when working on a tc a wiring schematic is must.  Something else to look at would be the air gap on the proximity switch.

barniescamp

Quote from: kiko on September 06, 2021, 09:17:41 PM
Your issue is likely the proximity switch or the wires between it and the seat computer.  Being that switching on and off and it resetting until the fault was recognized by the seat module.  I cannot say this for sure but having forward only may the default setting when the seat Position sensor is Not detected.  A wiring schematic would make this diagnosis simple.  It has been my experience when working on a tc a wiring schematic is must.  Something else to look at would be the air gap on the proximity switch.
I requested the schematic from our local tigercat dealer and he will email it this afternoon, the switch is open to air when in the reverse position.

mike_belben

i can see its got a positive and negative line but have no idea how to interpret the boxes in the middle other than that they are common to the ground side. 
Praise The Lord

barniescamp

l'll update this thread. it was the seat position switch that was no good..kiko was right

ehp

thats good to hear , how has the tigercat been treating you , Any major break downs and if so at what hours do they normally start to happen , Just asking as I might be looking at a 610E

barniescamp

I drove a 2018 John Deere 648L for about a year and a half then bought my own 2016 Tigercat 630E, In my opinion Tigercat is the superior of the two machines,The deere is tippy ( I did put it on its roof once)  and has had a lot of sensor problems and DEF fluid problems, although the John Deere hydraulics seem to be a bit faster the Tigercats hydraulics have more power, Again In my opinion. The Tigercats Trans is unbeatable where the John deere would stall out the Tigercat pulls through. and the grapple size on the Tigercat is a lot bigger (out of these two machines anyway).I've been running this machine since January Monday to Friday 10-12 hr days and no major problems (other than a differential oil seal, 2-3 hour job to change), Id never buy a John Deere after using a Tigercat.. Again IMO..

ehp

thanks for your answer , that is what I want to hear . there are no tigercat machines in my area but 1 I think just got here which is the 602 , 2 more are on their way here from the USA, one is the 604 and the other is a 610E , Tigercat as a company are very nice people to talk to and when I went and looked at that 610C a couple years ago they told me the computer had been changed so add 13,000 hours to the number the guy was saying 

Thank You Sponsors!