iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John deere 648 skidder

Started by ehp, September 03, 2021, 03:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

Please do Barge , I will gladly pay you a finders fee . Let me know and thank you very much . I did see a brandnew TC 632 sitting on the side on the rd outside of Pembroke yesterday , Man the grapple on that thing was huge and over all the machine was huge

ehp

Has anyone ever bought a recondition skidder , if so how did it work . Just wondering if they really redo all stuff or is it just a real good paint job 

Firewoodjoe

Used is used I've found. You can't  believe anyone it seems. Even if they are honest something could happen that they don't know. So I could care less about hours or what someone says. I've ran and worked on enough things I use my own judgment. Find one with good "bones" and don't worry about the rest. Take it home fix everything to your liking and spend some time with it. You can spend 20k and put 20k into it. You can spend 100k and still put 20k into it. It's always a gamble. 

ehp

I have found this , a machine with a bad driver will tear up more parts in 5 minutes than a good driver in a year, parts wear out and I do believe if machine is 3 years old its going to need parts .  

ehp

Another thing , how are your machines for getting in and out of to hook chokers . I found that 648H not to be that nice , once in cab it was quite nice , getting in was not to bad but getting out you pretty much had to jump as the steps were pretty much back under the steel above it . I told TC that same problem when I went up and seen the new 602 when it was getting built , Are the G series the same as the 648 

mike_belben

build a chain ladder to suit your needs.  or even the flimsiest, single stringer, fold up staircase design that you can produce so that its consumable to you, just make another.   single pivot bolt. swing it up, bungee in place.  something like that. 

EMT is cheap and easy, you can hammer it flat for weld or drill tabs.  ive made climbing sticks out of it recently. work great, light, sturdy.  got $2 into each one give or take. 

my opinion for the one man show operating out of pocket is buy what you can fix. if i were to ever actually have money, id be willing to spend more on an older machine without complex components,  than a newer machine with them.  its a hedging of bets that i will need capital to pay someone else to fix it and better hold back some coin on the complex stuff to budget for that. 
Praise The Lord

ehp

I would just build the steps to what they should of been built the first time , I did that on the 740 I drove for years but not sure why the company cannot see they need to do that , they are fine as a grapple cause you do not get in or out very much but with using chokers your in and out alot of times per day 

BargeMonkey

Ed honestly I think your further ahead buying something like that green one, figure out what it will need and do it over time, even if you throw 10k at it your ahead. They arent super friendly to get in and out of all day for chokers, why there's a grapple hanging off the back 😆 the G-H has 2 doors which is nice coming from a 460 Jack with only 1 real door. I can fit a 24" 372 between the seat and door comfortably in that 648G3 but I kind of want to build a blade box. 
I will ask the guy what the story is with that green jack / deere up by Glens falls, again that has an advantage because the trucking isn't going to kill you either. 
River Ridge sells just about every part you will need, I think they do a nice recon but it's not cheap. 

BargeMonkey

Ed if you wanted to pull cable in style I know that can be had for 120 🤷‍♂️ not all beat, sitting on my trailer when I was moving him around. 

ehp

you got me thinking , wonder how hard to get across the border and cost 

BargeMonkey

I can get that 460 jack / deere from Glens falls to the border by you for probably ? 2-2500 at the most, couple guys here who will do it. Biggest thing I've heard is they just need a good bath, I sent that hydro-ax I had north 10yrs ago and it wasn't bad getting it across. 

ehp

so that 460 is the same as a 648 , is it a deere motor and stuff , never been around a 460 

Firewoodjoe

The ones I've been around it was Deere if it looked like a Deere. If you google 460D brochure there's a full one for all models. And it's 10'2" unless it has narrow gauge wheels.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: ehp on September 12, 2021, 05:46:33 PM
so that 460 is the same as a 648 , is it a deere motor and stuff , never been around a 460
A 460D is a 648G3... 6.8 deere engine, deere winch, deere axles. You buy one I will make you a copy of the master set of books I've got. 👍 

ehp

I want a grapple with winch but your buddy 640L is making me think. LOL

ehp

It is strange thou, you can hardly find a skidder thats under 20 plus years old with most being 30 to 40 years old in this area and some are 50 years old , there just is no machines up here 

ehp

there is a JD 648L going threw the auction in Toronto in a couple days but it has no winch so no good to me , Its only got 1600 hours or so , nice machine for somebody . Only skidder going threw thou

Hogdaddy

I like this thread, kinda feels like I'm shopping for iron when reading it.... keep us updated guys!  :D
If you gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly!

mike_belben

Same with skid steer and mini exs here.  Theres ag tractors because an ag tractor isnt what you need to satisfy the transplant migration in need of housing development. 
Praise The Lord

ehp

Well I phoned both around deere and Tigercat. At least tigercat had a idea on what a skidder is but need a couple days to work out a price . John Deere  is pretty much a waste of time . After 3 different dealers phoned me back cause none of them had a single clue what a skidder is . Next there is only 1  648 in Canada that's new and its way out west and they have no idea if it's got a winch  next thing is machine will only have 12 month warranty  and if spending that kind of coin it better have 3 year or more but I would have to buy that . Saleman asked how are you going to pay for that and I told him I have Barge check book so we're good 

ehp

hard to believe that there is only 1 new 648 in Canada, not a town or city but the whole country

Firewoodjoe

Don't surprise me. What operation wants to buy the smallest skidder? New I mean. Not many. Did you ask how many 748 and 848s they had. I bet a lot more. What about 948? There's a few of them around here now. I'm telling from running a 648 and 748 and 848 the 848 really isn't that much worse in the woods size wise. Why buy a 12 pack when you can buy 15? That's what our world has come to. Sadly I'm joining them. Bought a harvester to produce smaller wood. It will come to a head some day and a guy will be able to buy all the used iron you want. 

mike_belben

Quote from: ehp on September 14, 2021, 03:11:27 PMSaleman asked how are you going to pay for that and I told him I have Barge check book so we're good
Check's in the bag.  In hundreds. Under the seat cushion.
Praise The Lord

ehp

I think he said there was a 648 and a 748 and a 848 new in Canada , they are sitting on close to 10 skidders that are 1 to 2 years old and their dealers , the 648 that is going to auction came from a dealer and has been sitting there for a couple years but it has no winch 

ehp

if Barge is paying cash in a bag he better bring one hell of a size bag, Tigercat just phoned me , 602 grapple with winch is a 6 month wait and with tax is $423,750 roughly , ya that's not going to work 

Thank You Sponsors!