The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Removing logs from cemetery  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Gere Flewelling

• Hobby Miller
    • Share Post
Re: Removing logs from cemetery
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2021, 04:18:50 PM »
I have an old cemetery that I maintain just down the road from my home.  I have used a 4wheeler with a home made logging arch to both carry logs out from between stones and to right up stones that have fallen over.  I use ratchet straps on the stones and lift the stones into place with the hand winch on the arch.  As for the pine box's, I would use some 4'x4' pieces of plywood placed flat on the suspected soft areas to support the load and just drive over the plywood.  I have seem a local vault company put down 4'x8'x3/4" plywood to back their heavy vault trucks in some unbelievable spots in the cemetery as well.  Actually just find some loam to smooth over the holes if they occur.  I am sure that no one down there will complain. :o
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman
Matthew 6:3-4

Offline kelLOGg

• Senior Member x2
  • More is better but enough is best
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2022, 02:44:59 PM »
Lots more good replies. My friend is renovating property for a B&B and I made the link to FF available to her do she can read the responses. She is determined to make this succeed and I will keep everyone posted. 
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Offline Joe Hillmann

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2022, 07:40:09 PM »
I vote for a 4 wheeler and a logging arch in dry weather.  I maintain a couple cemeteries and heavy equipment driving across makes mowing very difficult.

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
    • Behind the  Forestry Forum YouTube channel
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2022, 07:46:19 AM »
You dont even need a quad with a logrite arch equipped with a manual t_handle 2 guys can easily move and maneuver a pretty large log.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2022, 04:04:22 PM »
   I have an old 15 gallon plastic barrel I cut one end out and split the side and I'd slip it over the end of the log to keep it from digging into the ground. The rounded edges work fine for that.

You could also lay some small parallel poles on the ground and over the slabs to protect them as a sort of track then cut 3-4 4" diameter rollers to use under the logs and on the track and just pull/roll the logs out. Just before the log runs off a roller at the rear place another one in front and it should not be a major task to move logs no bigger than those shown/described. You could keep moving your track as needed also.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline KEC

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2022, 06:48:58 PM »
Can't help thinking that a couple of young tough fellas that would be willing to help would be just the ticket. I wish I knew a couple that I could recruit now and then.

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2022, 07:22:17 PM »
Or two of these https://logrite.com/Item/two-man-log-carrier and four guys. 

Or

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2022, 08:54:47 AM »
  I have an old 15 gallon plastic barrel I cut one end out and split the side and I'd slip it over the end of the log to keep it from digging into the ground. The rounded edges work fine for that.

You could also lay some small parallel poles on the ground and over the slabs to protect them as a sort of track then cut 3-4 4" diameter rollers to use under the logs and on the track and just pull/roll the logs out. Just before the log runs off a roller at the rear place another one in front and it should not be a major task to move logs no bigger than those shown/described. You could keep moving your track as needed also.
Just like the jarhead methodology above: In the Goodyear tire plant, we mechanic millwrights, rolled the massive, Banbury rubber mixing mills on wooden rollers (Fred Flintstone style? :D) as they weighed too much to be picked up. I once knew that weight but was an immense machine with a 600hp motor drive. I remember them being like 6-8" diameter wood pieces. I also worked on those freight elevators that made it possible to have a Banbury on the 2nd floor. At times when boarding an elevator I'll think about life down in that elevator shaft handling the nasty-est cables you ever seen! We had to shovel out crap while in there. DIY's Mike Rowe (my workingman's hero and lifetime award winner! x's a hundred)  needs to get in a rubber plant soon before the dirty ones get closed down.  
In reverse thinking this threads topic, one newspaper I read is LEX-Herald and so I'm aware that the old cemetery there in town has noteworthy trees and much attention is paid to not removing them as some interesting e.g.'s of trees found therein. The old Topeka, KS cemetery where my people are mostly buried has Revolutionary War graves and thus some old trees. We used to cruise it on our bicycles as slight grades, lots of curves-both rarely found in those parts on yer bicycle.  ;D 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2022, 09:00:23 AM »
Can't help thinking that a couple of young tough fellas that would be willing to help would be just the ticket. I wish I knew a couple that I could recruit now and then.
I found one but he's highly "un-trainable", so I learned. He's a decent kid though a poster boy for being a "bull in a china closet". Thought I had another good one after that one and last time I called him, (14 yrs old!) he said he'd have to check his schedule. $10 an hour at 14 honestly makes me cringe having worked under 75 cent minimum wage laws that zoomed to $1.15 once then $wonder of all wonders became $1.25. 
Hard to switch my brain to Joe Bidens prices being OK as well?   

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2022, 09:19:46 AM »
By the time that kid is your age he will be complaining about hiring young shmucks that cost $100/hr if they dont start cutting zeros off.
Isaiah 63:10

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2022, 09:30:32 AM »
It seems the trend is more toward the universal wage to not work than yer $100 number which would be seriously low based on current inflation rates?

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2022, 09:33:55 AM »
It seems the trend is more toward the universal wage to not work than yer $100 number which would be seriously low based on current inflation rates?
Adjusted for inflation, I've already made per hour what you use as my per hour earnings back when. But $50 week or so was pretty common for a working man when I began big boy work. 

Offline sublime68charger

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2022, 10:19:42 AM »
just need a setup like this wont be fast at all but is nimble.

ATV with Log Arch and rear tail wheel.  

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Removing Whole Logs from developed Subdivision yards

Started by Kilometer on Forestry and Logging

23 Replies
Last post January 05, 2008, 06:30:54 PM
by Tom
xx
Cemetery

Started by Autocar on General Board

18 Replies
Last post March 22, 2017, 07:47:05 AM
by petefrom bearswamp