iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Timber Frame Help

Started by Kylewh94, November 15, 2021, 09:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylewh94

Hey everybody. I've been reading the forum for a few years, however I just joined and this is my first post! In February 2020 I bought a Woodland Mills HM126. Me and my girlfriend built a stick framed 24x27 barn on our 6 acre property. We milled every board, with the exception of the pressure treated sill. We built the barn to have a space to work on pieces for our house. We've had our minds set on building a timber frame and had a set of plans made by an architect. Only issue being I don't feel like they're detailed enough for me, as a first timer, to cut all the joinery without mistakes. I'm wondering if there are any rules of thumb for things like mortise/tenon depth & width, peg placement, etc. It seems like it must have been covered here before, but I can't seem to find anything that says '1.5" tenon for 4-7" timbers, 2" for 8+, 5" deep minimum" not sure if it's that simple.

Our frame is 26x36, eastern white pine, with 8x8 and 8x12 posts

Please redirect if I'm asking a question that's been answered a million times

Thank you!

Ljohnsaw

@Jim_Rogers will be along shortly.  He has some great videos posted on here somewhere and a list of "rules of thumb" to go by.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kylewh94

I'm embarrassed to admit that I have found exactly what I was looking for pinned at the top of the page. Still new, sorry! 

Don P

Welcome Kyle, you found it before we did, which makes you an old pro, excellent work.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!