iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Strapping machine straps?

Started by Satamax, November 22, 2021, 03:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

I everybody. I got myself an old strapping machine, which was dead. And that i revived. 

Brushes of the welding motor were dead, as well as the battery. Converted it to makita style batteries. And did a temporary repair, while i wait for the proper brush holder with it's brushes. 

I want to use that to store stickered lumber. 

What would be the best strapping material? 

Polyester seems to cope with UV. I don't store under a roof, but outside with corrugated steel on top. 

I quite like the fibrous straps they use here, with metal clips. 

This stuff : Feuillard Textile 19 mm x 600 m

But i don't know if it is weldable. 

Anybody knows and can help? 

What are you using? 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

moodnacreek

Get some scraps of plastic strapping and see how it welds.

Satamax

A friend of mine said he's got some leftover roll. That i can have.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

longtime lurker

I use the green poly strapping, it works well.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

PAmizerman

I think you would be better off to forget that sealer and use woven strapping
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

longtime lurker

Neah once you use that strapping welder everything else seems like a step backwards.
I've got a Fromm, looks like the same model, it'll pull up 19mm green poly strap tighter than any manual tensioner with no effort whatsoever. And strapping use goes down because we started reusing the stuff.

I still run steel strapping as well for things like bridge decking and ties, but the poly seems nearly as strong and is just so much easier to live with
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

customsawyer

I use both the green poly and some that is white but a lot more flexible. I use the green poly if it is going out the gate on a customers load and I use the white if it is staying on the yard. With that sealer I think you will need the green poly.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Satamax

Thanks a lot guys.

Customsawyer, the white stuff you're using is like strands in a  clear skin? If yes, it's like the stuff i showed above.

I realy wonder if that can be welded.

customsawyer

Yes that is the same stuff. I can use it with the metal sealer or a metal clip. The clip allows me to tighten it again after the lumber has shrunk some. This is the reason it is used around the mill. I can normally use it 2 or 3 times before it starts going bad. Then I will use it on a pack going out the gate with the metal sealer. With the sealer I don't have the longer tails that look unprofessional to me. I don't think it would weld with your tensioner/sealer but I could be wrong.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!