iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Removing logs from cemetery

Started by kelLOGg, December 29, 2021, 10:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEC

Can't help thinking that a couple of young tough fellas that would be willing to help would be just the ticket. I wish I knew a couple that I could recruit now and then.

btulloh

HM126

kantuckid

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 03, 2022, 04:04:22 PM
  I have an old 15 gallon plastic barrel I cut one end out and split the side and I'd slip it over the end of the log to keep it from digging into the ground. The rounded edges work fine for that.

You could also lay some small parallel poles on the ground and over the slabs to protect them as a sort of track then cut 3-4 4" diameter rollers to use under the logs and on the track and just pull/roll the logs out. Just before the log runs off a roller at the rear place another one in front and it should not be a major task to move logs no bigger than those shown/described. You could keep moving your track as needed also.
Just like the jarhead methodology above: In the Goodyear tire plant, we mechanic millwrights, rolled the massive, Banbury rubber mixing mills on wooden rollers (Fred Flintstone style? :D) as they weighed too much to be picked up. I once knew that weight but was an immense machine with a 600hp motor drive. I remember them being like 6-8" diameter wood pieces. I also worked on those freight elevators that made it possible to have a Banbury on the 2nd floor. At times when boarding an elevator I'll think about life down in that elevator shaft handling the nasty-est cables you ever seen! We had to shovel out crap while in there. DIY's Mike Rowe (my workingman's hero and lifetime award winner! x's a hundred)  needs to get in a rubber plant soon before the dirty ones get closed down.  
In reverse thinking this threads topic, one newspaper I read is LEX-Herald and so I'm aware that the old cemetery there in town has noteworthy trees and much attention is paid to not removing them as some interesting e.g.'s of trees found therein. The old Topeka, KS cemetery where my people are mostly buried has Revolutionary War graves and thus some old trees. We used to cruise it on our bicycles as slight grades, lots of curves-both rarely found in those parts on yer bicycle.  ;D 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

kantuckid

Quote from: KEC on January 03, 2022, 06:48:58 PM
Can't help thinking that a couple of young tough fellas that would be willing to help would be just the ticket. I wish I knew a couple that I could recruit now and then.
I found one but he's highly "un-trainable", so I learned. He's a decent kid though a poster boy for being a "bull in a china closet". Thought I had another good one after that one and last time I called him, (14 yrs old!) he said he'd have to check his schedule. $10 an hour at 14 honestly makes me cringe having worked under 75 cent minimum wage laws that zoomed to $1.15 once then $wonder of all wonders became $1.25. 
Hard to switch my brain to Joe Bidens prices being OK as well?   

mike_belben

By the time that kid is your age he will be complaining about hiring young shmucks that cost $100/hr if they dont start cutting zeros off.
Praise The Lord

kantuckid

It seems the trend is more toward the universal wage to not work than yer $100 number which would be seriously low based on current inflation rates?

kantuckid

Quote from: kantuckid on January 04, 2022, 09:30:32 AM
It seems the trend is more toward the universal wage to not work than yer $100 number which would be seriously low based on current inflation rates?
Adjusted for inflation, I've already made per hour what you use as my per hour earnings back when. But $50 week or so was pretty common for a working man when I began big boy work. 

sublime68charger

just need a setup like this wont be fast at all but is nimble.

ATV with Log Arch and rear tail wheel.  

Thank You Sponsors!