iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NH sawmill that can handle 43" diameter pine?

Started by peakbagger, February 24, 2022, 10:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peakbagger

I have a large healthy white pine that towers over my hardwoods that needs to go in Northern NH (RT2). Its healthy but when the wind gets to the crown, it will on occasion launch good size branches. By the time they hit the ground they usually bury themselves. I plan to build a home downwind and its drop it now or drop it later. I know of several 30" bandsaw mills nearby but nothing that could handle these potential logs. No houses nearby in a rural town so my guess is its clean wood. My guess is I got 50 to 60 feet clear before there is defect and the branches start. I do not have any particular size or length but if I drop it I would rather incorporate it into the house than let it rot. I do have a 2 ton flatbed truck to move it once I get it dropped. My guess is I would need to haul it to a mill rather than a portable coming to me? 

Any suggestions?

mudfarmer

Maybe someone with a swing mill would come to the log? Or split it or take some slabs off with chainsaw so it will fit the band mills?

Bruno of NH

I can saw it for you if you get it to Springfield Nh
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Crossroads

I've done 45" on my Lt40 wide, needed help getting it on the mill (20k excavator) wasn't fun, but it is doable. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

peakbagger

Quote from: Bruno of NH on February 24, 2022, 02:58:08 PM
I can saw it for you if you get it to Springfield Nh
Thanks, a bit of drive down from Gorham but nice to know its an option. 
I may end up slabbing it down to the point where I can fit it on a friend's mill. 

chep

I saw on a lucas mill. Portable. Im just under 2 hrs from you. Lots of 8 inch boards or slabs would be the product. 
Cost depends on how you have it staged for efficiency. 
Pm for details if interested 

maple flats

I had a 48" cut Peterson until last May when I sold it to a FF member in the Berkshires in Mass. I don't know if he's willing to travel, but I could contact him and see if you are interested. P.M. me if you want me to check.
I now have a HM130Max by Woodland Mills. My largest I can saw is 30" but I'm too far away, and I don't travel.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!