iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help identifying an edger blade.

Started by GLBWood, March 01, 2022, 01:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GLBWood

Need help identifying this edger blade and where to buy more like it.  12" blade, 2 piece, 2 3/8 bore, four bolt, and keyed. 
 Thanks

Old Greenhorn

Well, first off: Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy your time here. Second: Filling in some of your profile info sure would go a long way to helping us help you out. We don't know where you are and what you are running.
 To your question, it would be nice to know what machine you are using this on, and again, maybe where you are located. Our members here span the globe, so giving you a lead to a supplier in MA won't help you if you are in Australia.
 I just went through getting blades made for a Logmaster Edger. I used Sharp Tool and you can read all about that adventure on this thread: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=116490.0 It took 20 and 1/2 weeks to get delivery (they quoted 15 weeks). You could check and see if they stock what you need. 
 Since I had to wait so long I got my blades re-tipped and sharpened by a great company that is not far from me in Hudson, NY called DinoSaw. You can find them HERE. Either company you can call up and give them the numbers over the phone for building new ones. have the blade and a pair of calipers in your hand when you call. I found DinoSaw to be very responsive and they would turn a blade around for me in a week. Just watch the lead times where ever you buy. Next time I get new blades made, it will be DinoSaw. YMMV
  I am sure you may get some other recommendations from other folks in a little bit. In the mean time, the more you can give us about these blades and what you are cutting, the more help we can offer.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

YellowHammer

Yes, it would help to know what it is running on, hold old the blade is, etc.  or as said, call up a blade company and just have them duplicate it for you.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Crossroads

I know when I have to replace my blades , they will be 2 piece. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

GLBWood

I've been a registered member here since 11/2020.  I have a Woodmizer LT35HD.  The edger is shop built, unknown manufacturer inspiration for design.  

I have a house in North Dakota and Oklahoma.  The mill is working in Indiana.  

My thought was someone would recognize the blade.  12 inch diameter , split design, 2 3/8 inch bore, 4 bolt, keyed.  You would think they are sitting on a shelf somewhere waiting to be ordered.  

I really do appreciate the information and contact numbers to get my own blades designed and built.

GLBWood

It's a little awkward for me trying to navigate, load photos, manage settings just using an iPhone.  I don't use a computer or laptop outside of work.  I actually surprised myself I got pictures up and shared them.  🤣

Walnut Beast

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: GLBWood on March 02, 2022, 12:39:17 AM
I've been a registered member here since 11/2020.  I have a Woodmizer LT35HD.  The edger is shop built, unknown manufacturer inspiration for design.  

I have a house in North Dakota and Oklahoma.  The mill is working in Indiana.  

My thought was someone would recognize the blade.  12 inch diameter , split design, 2 3/8 inch bore, 4 bolt, keyed.  You would think they are sitting on a shelf somewhere waiting to be ordered.  

I really do appreciate the information and contact numbers to get my own blades designed and built.
I spent a bunch of research time before I finally ordered. Sharp had a lot of stock blades and I believe your sizes are pretty close to common. These are called strobe blades, BTW, so use that in your searches. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding them. It's weird having key in there. It makes little sense. That maybe your sticking point. The orientation of that key to the bolt pattern might be critical depending on how your shaft assembly is built. Just pointing that out for your consideration and thought.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Crossroads

If you don't want to deal with trying to order over the phone, you should be able to find a local sharpening shop. No real need to attempt to match it to a specific machine, they will simply duplicate your blade. They should also be able to re-tip your blade as long as the blade isn't cracked. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Thank You Sponsors!